Condition of caps in AA Crossover

Jefe

The likelihood that the capacitors in your 40 year old crossovers are still within specification is minimal at best. The best possible upgrade is determined as to what your budget would be. Capacitors can range from a couple of dollars each up to a couple of hundred dollars each…

12 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

The likelihood that the capacitors in your 40 year old crossovers are still within specification is minimal at best. The best possible upgrade is determined as to what your budget would be. Capacitors can range from a couple of dollars each up to a couple of hundred dollars each…

What kind of effect or impact can out of spec caps make on the sound?

2 minutes ago, Jefe said:

What kind of effect or impact can out of spec caps make on the sound?

With the 1980 Heresys I just purchased that had never been opened, swapping the crossovers with the ones I had replaced the capacitors in made a significant difference.  Everything sounded clearer and more dynamic all around.  Some use the analogy that it's like you removed a blanket that had been covering the speaker.  I would agree with that.  To me it's definitely worth it.

The easiest route is to send your networks to Bob Crites and he'll rebuild them for you.  Or, you can order his rebuild kit.  Or, you can choose other capacitor options since Bob only works with Sonicaps.

Other capacitor brands that have been recommended are Jantzen Z Superior, Audiocap Theta and Arizona Blue Cactus. 

• Like 2

On the chance your heart may had stopped when you read the prices of some of caps in the previous post there is still hope. There are less costly caps that can be used to replace the OEM pieces like Dayton, Solen & Audyn Q4s and others.

But by no means am I suggesting that these less expensive caps will sound as good or better than their higher priced counterparts. But they can still make a major improvement of the old stock caps.