Cinema 400 soundbar dropping out

mrgwizz

I bought a new Cinema 400 soundbar + sub 2 days ago. Great sound!
I've connected it via optical to my TV. 

Generally it all works fine, however the soundbar has been dropping out for a few seconds every 10 minutes or so. But the subwoofer keeps going! It's just the soundbar that loses audio. 

I tried changing SPDIF from Dolby Digital to PCM and thought it worked, however the same problem returned the next day. 

Any ideas?

Thanks! 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

So I'm having a similar problem with my new klipsch cinema 400, sound quality is phenomenal but drops out somewhat randomly and every time I mute it, have tried a reset with the buttons but don't particularly want to change to hdmi. I've always thought optical was the way to go. Have tried changing my output on tv but the problem persists. Is there some kind of harder reset than factory? Does using hdmi method resolve this?

• 3 weeks later...

So I think I found a solution to my problem at least, I had my ps4 and hopper under the sound bar and the heat coming off of them I think was causing it to drop out I moved them lower down and I haven't seen the issue happen again. The remote seems to work better now too

• 8 months later...

To be perfectly honest I think the Cinema 400 sound bar is junk. The instruction manual is worthless and the sound itself is just OK, nothing special. I own a whole Klipsch ARMOS surround system on my main TV, I also have Heritage La Scala's for my stereo system and have just added the Cinema 400 sound bar w/sub. I've always been a big Klipsch fan (50+ years) but the Cinema 400 is nothing but trouble. Wall mounting using their brackets & template is a nightmare and that would have been enough to stop my purchase (if I had known) but the sound bar keeps turning itself back on. Klipsch's excuse for this is the cable TV box and they have no fix for it meaning I either have to put the Cinema 400 system on a switched power strip or just let it stay on all the time. This is totally unacceptable, it's a bad design and poorly though out by Klipsch but it's from China so I guess it's not unexpected. Based on my experience I would NOT recommend any Klipsch sound bars. BTW - I was a microwave radio tech and then worked as a senior electronics tech in television operations for more than 30 years so I good and bad equipment, video, and sound. It's sad that a company like Klipsch is putting out such junk as it affects their reputation across their product line, most of which is excellent.

• 3 months later...

Bought one of these recently and have the same. Just starting up it seems to just turn itself off after a couple of minutes every time.

Once it gets going it seems fine... pretty horrible tbh.

On top of that, I also learned that he 15 minute auto shutdown on idle is impossible to disable on the "400". Klipsch literal answer was:  get a 600 or higher to have that feature.

It's my first Klipsch product and while it looks and sounds good, that's pretty horrific.

• 6 months later...

I see you guys have the 400 I started with the 600 the power went out had warranty sent back took 3 months to get a replacement was bumped up to the 800 finally got that the sound was going in and out sent it back got a replacement three months later and this one is doing the same thing I am exasperated with klipisch and will never buy any of their products again !!!!  

• 3 months later...

My cinima 400 shuts off randomly. I hit power button on remote, several times. It comes on. I also have the entire reference series for main entertainment area. This product including any help is useless. I could not be more disappointed. Trying to get ahold of a real person is next to impossible. Thousands of dollars invested in what is supposed to be “premier equipment “ and no service. I’ll never again go with klipsch unless service is better. 

• 2 months later...

I had a similar issue where sound would basically drop off at random times, sometimes after 5-6 seconds and other times it might last a couple of minutes, the glitch would only last half a second or so and the sub would still have sound so the audio was still getting through the system.

The way I ended up solving this (after trying factory reset, trying to locate a firmware update (didn’t appear to exist), swapping from hdmi arc to optical, relocating sub etc.) was to change my source audio to stereo, it’s a 2.1 bar anyway.  This solved my audio issue and the sound quality is excellent, it’s just in the bedroom where surround isn’t a priority, hence the soundbar, noting I never had an audio issue on Bluetooth, as a music bar it always sounded pretty good, no audio issues on Bluetooth at all.

• 10 months later...

My brand new Cinema 400 loses audio after nearly every ad. I am on Spectrum so I have no control over the ads.  Is there a setting which will not cause this.  I m connected to TV with HDMI earc .  Could do optical if that would help.  Is these a way to update the software on this device?

Cheers

Steve

• 1 month later...

If I would had read all the above I would not have purchased my Cinema 400 this morning.  I got a good deal on it and pulled the trigger. 

I have the sound bar hooked up through hdmi and have not had an issue yet. Been running it for the last 8 hrs. Sound is good.

I regret not going for the cinema 600 or higher. The cinema 400 is not compatible with the connect app which has a equalizer to tweak your sound and I did not know that until after I setup my cinema 400. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Powerhousehb said:

If I would had read all the above I would not have purchased my Cinema 400 this morning.  I got a good deal on it and pulled the trigger. 

The Cinema Series soundbars are being replaced with a new series. That's why you can find some great "deals".

There are lots of posts about the Cinema 400 and the Cinema 600 soundbars, not all good I'm afraid.

You may want to review the Klipsch support articles for the Cinema Series soundbars.

If your Cinema 400 was just purchased, perhaps you can return it?

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Powerhousehb said:

The cinema 400 is not compatible with the connect app 

stick with the 400 , the connect app has been a source of software issues  

On 3/21/2024 at 9:24 PM, Powerhousehb said:

The cinema 400 is not compatible with the connect app which has a equalizer to tweak your sound and I did not know that until after I setup my cinema 400. 

I have not had any issues with my Connect App but I don't use it very often.

The equalizer function is pretty basic: it allows you to raise or lower levels in three ranges (lower, mid, & trebil). When I had my Cinema 600 I found the effectiveness of the equalizer to be disappointing. It's better on the Cinema 800 but not great. Since the equalization is done in the soundbar, the results depend pretty much on the soundbar.

• Like 1