The mothership has arrived, and it brought Audio Nirvana with it.

justin_tx_16

Well...I like the little H/K 430...and Justin REALLY likes it...so far...and from what I have heard, another BB member has one on the way to give a try...looks like I have created a MONSTER of sorts here!! LOL!

I will say ONE thing...it really is a great match to Heresys...but as far as the k-horns go, I have never heard a pair pushed by one. The little H/K really IS a bass monster, though!! It makes Heresys sound more like Cornwalls!! I wonder what an HK430/K-horn combo would sound like in THAT department!! It would be very interesting to hear somebody's comments after they gave that combo a try-out!! Especially their comments in the BASS reproduction end of things!! Hint! Hint! LOL!

Justin recently told me that as far as S/S hiss goes, there has been NONE...even at higher volume levels...with his set-up(10 O'clock is as far as he has pushed it thus far, though...it WILL go to high noon with no hiccups, though it is best NOT to crank it past 2 o'clock!). I have noticed no hiss from either of the two 430's I have either! Pretty damned quiet and clear sounding to MY ears. Justin also confided to me that not only does it sound better than that new H/K he recently ordered, but it ALSO is warmer than that new Yamaha he just got in!! Kinda makes me wonder....why can't today's expensive stuff sound as good as a flea-powered S/S unit from 1976???

Man, I would love to try one of these hk-430 out on my k-horns,just for the hell of it, but if another box arives at my front door the wife will skin me alive. I barely got by getting that scott tube amp, and thank god I did I love it.Mayby in about 6 months if I dont buy anything Ill get one and try it out. I could always resell it, the bad thing is, everything I buy for my stereo I always keep. LOL

Andy, that's one hell of a story. Bet you wish you could have had a Vulcan mind meld with him, eh? Well, there's no hope for me. I won't be able to afford any amps for a while, and now these HKs will got for big bucks like the Eicos did a while back! See what you've started???

It is mind blowing that with the availability of better parts, no one is making anything new that sounds like these vintage gems. My Adcom/Audire cost around $1000. The Scott 222D was not half that (including restoration) and the Khorns never sounded better...never! I am curious as to how the HK would compare to both my sets...maybe someday!

----------------

On 12/7/2002 11:48:30 AM HDBRbuilder wrote:

hey, Justin...

Remember that post I made about what to do when you got that H/K 430? Read number 5 again...LOL! You gotta follow instructions from now on!! LOL! I was pretty sure I had covered what to do to prevent your little problem, so I checked...and THERE IT WAS!! LOL! I am gonna edit it and HIGHLIGHT it for you...LOL! Glad everything worked out ok!!

Anyway, hope your little "show and tell" gathering last nite was fun...Did anybody successfully guess the wattage output?? My guess is "NO"...LOL! One other thing...Were the "babes" impresssed?? LOL!

Enjoy!!
----------------

Such a simple problem with a simple resolution! Wow, let's see, one slow blow 1A250V, one slow blow 3A250V, one fast blow 3A250V, on fast blow 5A250V and one more oversized 3A250V.... So that's the problem! LoL!

No one guessed the age, wattage, or price correctly.

My cd player is freak'n out on me so I may return it and get a new one today. Dang. It just decides it does not like some CD's, burned or not. Oh well, it was <$100 as open box. No biggie.

Later on my friend went out to eat and I stayed a while to get cleaned up. I get a call from a high school friend of my dad's who said that he heard I had just gotten some Heresy's. he is probably the only person i know face to face that lovesKlipsch as much as me! He came over and we jammed for about an hour. He has two cornwalls and two heresy's, i am trying to get him to get the cornwall II I found on the net... he would kill for it and it is only $100! 5.1 Heritage, yeah baby!

The night ended at 2:35 when I got home from football. We went to Wal-Mart around 1:00 AM and bought a football , soccerball and basketball. That was fun. Got home, turned on the HKK430 and listened on my headphones. SOOO glad I did not waste $479 for a headphone amp when this HK430 sounds just as good as the headphone amp I was purchasing!

The average price was $1300, the average age of speaker - 1990ish, cd player - new, receiver, 1985. The average watts was 100 per channel.

They were off by $800, ~18 years, right on, and ~11years. They were off by ~150 watts.

Justin...very interesting...any comments from your Dad's friend on your power supply while you were jamming together? Just wondered.

I wasn't too awfully surprised at the comments you got from your friends on what they perceived the wattage power was...especially since few of them, if any, have ever heard Heresys on low power before. It really isn't big news that most people tend to equate high decibels with high wattage...after all...until they learn differently, they will likely continue to believe that in amplifier wattage, "bigger is better"...after all...just look at the audio advertising you see everywhere!!...For some reason it is pretty much all geared toward that fallacy...even moreso today than in the past! SO....

"For your next assignment, Mr. Phelps, your mission is to change this way of audio 'thinking'...this message will self-destruct in one-minute." Not quite a Mission Impossible...but damned close to it!! LOL!