Good Price for Academy Center Channels

reads

Well, there is a range that the Academy usually sells in. The low end is +/- $350 and the high end is +/- $550. I've even seen one sell for $600.

Now, from what I've read in my time here most consider anything over $500 to be very high. I just won an Ebay auction for an OO Academy for $490. The only reason I went so high was desperation. I had lost a few auctions because I bid a much more reasonable amount in the area of $350-400. The OO matches my Forte II's so I felt this was the auction to go overboard on.

So what does all of that mean? 1.gif I guess it means demand at the time you sell them will determine what price you get. The Ebay prices go in cycles. For a while a handful of Academy CC's went for $300-400. The last two have gone for $560 and $490 (mine).

If you sell them on a non-auction site (Audiogon, Audioweb, Audioshopper), I would expect to see a price set in the $300-400 range to sell pretty quickly. Having a somewhat more rare finish (OO and black are the most common) can work for or against you. If my Forte II's were in Walnut and I saw your speakers for sale/auction I would go higher in price because it's not as common.

Finally, if you sell them to another member on the Klipsch BB by posting a 'for sale' thread, there is an unwritten rule here that we try to take care of each other WRT price. I'm not saying people take a big loss to make another persons day. I'm saying we tend to sell for a bit less than we might get on Ebay. There are certain members here that have helped me out numerous times. If I sold anything to them I would ask a very reasonable price as a way of saying thanks for that help.

If I had to sell my Academy in the future I would put it up on this site first at a price of around $350-400, despite the fact I paid $490. Others here have taken care of me, I'll do the same in the future.

Hey reads! If you'll click 'Products' above, then 'Home Audio', then 'Klipsch Classic Series' you'll find that Klipsch lists the KV-4 as the correct matching center speaker for your Epics.

Good luck selling the Academy's. They'll probably bring as much as your CF-3's would! Who knows?

Keith

I have a KV-4 in black, I believe black in the only finish they were made in, that I will be parting with shortly, I am going to pick up my La Scala tomorrow to perform center channel duties between my Belle's. I have the original box and packing as well as the unused adjustable feet for it. As previously stated you should have no trouble parting with your Academy's should you choose to do so. However, I think they would make fantastic rear surrounds even though they were designed to be center's.

K-foot, I know not what your plans may be but be advised that three or four Academy's in a rear array can do wonderful things for those with Heritage fronts and limited listening space. However, in the front array I still prefer a center speaker that is the equal of the right and left mains... so I have yet to use an Academy as a center speaker. -HornEd

PS: I picked up my last walnut Academy on this Forum for $300. It's a great Klipsch speaker, pound-for-pound, and better suited than most alternatives for bridging the Heritage gap that the KLF-C7 can't quite do.

I am already pushing WAF to the brink. I swapped out the Quartet oaks for the KG4 walnuts because they matched the furniture around them. Putting a huge Academy on top of the telly would be, well, barely endurable for the decorator. (A black Academy would suffice as well.) But it's that or spend more time in the cave. (My "muscle system" and other transient equipment is in the basement.) The surrounds are now some dipoles that are okay for the time being. Thanks for the advice.

K-foot.

Hey Reads,

I currently have my KV-4 on eBay, since I now have my La Scala center laying on its side with my 43" Sony RPTV sitting on top of it. What a difference, talk about sound in your face. Since the KV-4 is timbre matched to your Epic's if my KV-4 does not sell I would be happy to trade it for one of your Academy's. I would use the Academy as my rear center between my Heresy II's which should be a much better match than my current KSC-C1. It is in beautiful shape and is complete with the original box, packing and adjustable spiked feet. Please let me know if you have any interest at all. 1.gif