Craigmeister 299a

Deang

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Craig, yes, I was being a numbnuts:)

Leo, actually -- the SuperAmp's basic configuration is that of a class A, no feedback, 15 wpc push-pull triode -- it can however, be wired in ultralinear.

Easyeyes, what do you mean exactly? You need between 5 and 7 channels for HT, and the Scott is two channel integrated. I would have answered, but I honest don't know much about wiring up HT systems. Seems to me that the answer would be "no", since the Scott is an integrated amp. If it was simply an "amp", I suppose you could hook it to a stand alone processor/preamp, and use it to power the front two channels.

easyeyes,

I'm taking your question to be about heat buildup issues in the cabinet, not trying to do some 5.1 or 7.1 thing with it, right? If so, be careful. Some of this vintage tube gear gets really hot, I wouldn't put my Eico in the cabinet I have. IMO, these things need to be extremely well ventilated. you might look into encouraging ventilation in the cabinet by installing a couple fans at the top back corners, admitting air at the bottom somewhere and making sure it flow freely up through the shelves. This is how 7' tall racks of servers get cooled in datacenters. Cool air in the bottom, hot air out the top.

Tom

easyeyes, I think you really need to let a tube amp have plenty of space, enclosing it in a entertainment center without proper ventalation could cause a lot of heat buildup, which might shorten the tube amps lifespan.My scott 299a gets perty hot, I have mine in an open space were it can breath,I even leave the cabinet of the scott itself, off the unit so it gets more air, I would not put mine in an inclosed cabnet.Now if you were to put it in a cabnet with some small fans to circulate the air to the scott this probably would work fine.If your only choice is to put the scott into an enclosed spot or entertainment center I would take the cabinet off of the scott and mount me some small fans around the scott to move the air around it and keep it cool. Were there is a will there is a way.

Actually these units were installed in custon cabinets often back in the day hence most of them don't have there cases. I would rather run my amp without a case and in the open air. But they can take the heat and operate fine. It really isn't going to change much they were designed with this in mind. Heck the Scott cases themselves have very pour ventilation !!

Craig

Thanks for your responses. No, my question wasn't in regards to home theater, I'm talking 2-channel here. I have no other location to place the 299, living in Europe with the smaller houses makes available wall space a premium. We almost had to call a family meeting to decide where to place the Christmas tree. I would love to place this unit out in the open and let the air circulate all around it, but in my instance it is not possible.

I will monitor the situation to see how hot it gets. I can say with almost certainty that I will not be allowed to install fans around the unit, but something simple as having a fan to blow on it should help. I can also rearrange the shelving to inspire more circulation.

Thanks

It's modern aethetics, man.....Form follows funtion. This was a double post for me, so see below. I havent had coffee yet.

Actually, to address the Super Amp, it seems to actually be wired in Triode from the factory more often than Ultralinear. Make no mistake, it is a VERY good amplifier and sounds excellent. It is also a very flexible amp with the ability to employ a variety of power tubes.

It does not sound HARSH; that is too strong a word here. IT is voiced more like a modern tube amp to be very clear and clean but to me is missing a bit of harmonic richness and some of the more glorious magic of the best of the best tube amps(I am surely not talking about slow warmth either). It appears to be very neutral in its presentation but might err just a tad on the sterile side of the equation, this configured STOCK in triode mode. Most of these differences and qualities are VERY subtle.

kh

I have never used a fan on any tube amp ever and surely would not want to hear any extra fan noise nor deal with the motor (no matter how small) or the hassle of it. IF you put it in the shelf, just leave the wood case off and give it plenty of air above it ie at least three to four inches. It should be completely fine. Obviously the more area above the unit the better, but I dont see the need for fans. People seem to be paranoid about the heat of amps. Indeed, heat does cause equipment to wear faster but if you think about the cases many of these go in, it's far worse than putting in a shelf with 3-4" above. So iF worse comes to worse, take it out of its case or modify it with a more open top. Also, dont run the unit with the doors shut (and how could you miss the beauty of the retro tube glow).

Most of those entertainment centers are actually more unappealing looking than the amps sadly enough. Having the amp in full view actually shows more aesthetic acumen than a buttoned prefab Entertainment center... Tube amps add a funk factor and sense of style that render Johnny Home Entertainment vinyl oak center as Middle of the Road. Hell, you dont want to look like Captain Ranch House, King of America do you? You're already lucky enough to live in Europe as it is! heh.... I wish I was over there at the moment.

Ok, enough of my prattle. I would try to give the amp as much breathing room as possible but I dont think it necessary to erect a small wind generator to help matters. Enjoy the whole experience on those cold winter nights; tell your wife you just inherited a new fireplace complete with romantic glow, free music included.

kh

Thanks Mobile, I'll leave four to five inches of clearance above the amp, I think that it will work out fine. My family and I are really enjoying living in Europe these days, we are in no rush to come back to the states right now. Looking forward to taking the family to Germany next year to see some castles, drive on the autobahn and eating some of that terrific german food, ie snitzel, broccatuffin etc. I do not drink so I cannot tell you how the beer is. My wife and I went to Paris last year for our 10th wedding anniversary and we had a blast. A trip to Paris and a one carat ring, she really made out last year didn't she. Finances aside, we really enjoyed ourselves and better yet, when we went France still had the French Franc. Then exchanges rate was 7 to 1 in favor of the dollar. Right now, the euro is almost equal to the dollar. My kids will have to wait another year or so for the dollar to gain some strength before they enjoy Disney Land Paris.

EE