Which Scott Tube Amp should I buy?

tigerwoodKhorns

First, I want to thank everyone. I have gotten so much info from this site that would take forever to get.

You guys have convinced me. I want to buy a Scott Tube amp / Pre amp, or integrated amp (or receiver if they are available) I contacted a guy on ebay who has "over 200" Scott pieces and will build what I want. I just don't know what I want...yet. Here is what I am running now:

Denon 5800 receiver

13 year old denon CD player (high end unit)

13 year old Denon 3 head Cassette (ditto)

Denon DF33 turntable w/ Denon MC cartridge.

DBX 3bx expander

DBX 120 subharmonic synthesizer + soundcraftmen mosfet amp for subs

Pair K-horns

2 Pair Heresy's for surround

2 4 ohm 12" Cerwin Vega subs in custon made cabnets (before the days when subs were easy to get!!)

I want to add a computer with a good soundcard for MP3's and a DVD player later

What I was thinking was get a scott int amp or separates for the k-horns. If there is enough inputs, run the TT, cassette and CD into the scott. I can also still use the K-horns for surround by using a pre-out from the Denon 5800 into the scott.

How much power will I need? The room has a 2 story ceiling and is pretty big.

Which Scott should I get and what questions should I ask? I keep hearing about a 299.

I need an MC Cartrige input.

Please also tell me what the price should be.

What I really like now is how "tight" the system sounds (great imaging, crisp highs and no muddy bass). I assume that I will retain that but get "warmer" vocals and mids.

Thanks,

Chris

Craig,

Thanks for your interest in my question. I sent you an email asking if you had any Scotts for sale, but I assume that you only fix them.

The seller is "scottfixer" (aptly named) and he has a ton of scott stuff.

My older denon receiver that I use the MC cartrige with Lists its MC section as 15 mv and its MM section as 150 mv. The TT worked fine with that unit, although I have to turn the volume up more that with CD's.

I also have an additonal question regarding the tubes and hum. When I bought a set of heresys, the guy's electrostats did not "show" and hum from his tube amp. When we hooked the efficient heresys up, you could hear hum. Should I expect this? I brough along a heresy with me when I bought, and mine showed hum too, so it was not the speaker.

There is a scott 222d for sale on ebay that ends tonight. is this a good unit and how much should it cost? what kind of power does it have?

Finally, and you may have already answered this in reply to the above, should I consider other tube amps. When I was a kid, I used to dream about Mcintosh. I don't really see anyone here using that. Should I wait and buy something like conrad johnson? (ie is there any benefit to more expensive stuff). I consider this a very long term investment, so if I need to wait, I will.

How hard is the Scott stuff to work on, and will I have to work on it a lot. I figure that I should buy a book and learn how.

Thanks again,

Chris

(tubee in training)

Okay ,

The info you gave me on the MC cartridge is interesting but means nothing. I really need to know what the cartridge puts out. I take it you don't have the specs on it ?

The reason I'm asking this is I have a high output MC which puts out 2.5 mv and it barely gets me by with the Scott Phono section and this will be true of any vintage intergrated amp none of them are disigned for regular MC cartridges. If your cartridge puts out only 1.5mv the Scott phono section would sound fine but your overall gain would be very low like a 2 watt amp (guessing) .

The 222D is a great amp. if its electically stock it will require work to run reliably. How hard it is depends on your skill level. Have you ever soldered anything ?? The 222D is pretty complex for a beginner. I think I would Opt for a 222C much easier to work on. 299's are not all that bad to work on either but slightly more cramped then a 222C .

I do rebuild them also and the great thing about having me do them is I actually use effeceint speakers and don't send a amp out till I limited the noise it produces to almost nothing at 100% volume. I wouldn't have any tech work on a amp of mine unless he had revealing effeceint speakers like we all use so he can tune the amp to are speakers and quite it down as best as possible. Different designs are prone to hum and noise most of the noisy amps are voiced for lessor effecient speakers and the designer didn't figure it was a flaw. Scotts for the most part can be near hum free.

Craig

PS if you emailed me it must of been before I decided to sell of a few of mine. Did I reply ?

Here is the link to the 222

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=14974&item=1942625002&rd=1

How much would I be looking at to get this one fixed up? I hear that your work is fantastic. you can email me directly if you like.

What is a good price for these things on ebay and how much power do they have?

Will my digital stuff sound good on them?

Should I consider more expensive separates like conrad johnson?

Thanks,

Chris

Hi Chris,

I don't know if you saw this, but I recently got a 222D and I gotta tell you my Khorns NEVER sounded better! http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=28011&sessionID={DE89241C-384B-427E-9331-E5F63459E45F}Also, to check out comparisons of the Scotties to each other as well as other info on them check http://hhscott.com/Default.htm . I'm still listening more than posting, and wifey just left for the store, so I'm gonna rattle some more rafters right now! 9.gif

Thanks, it looks like we will have similar systems. I love this forum for getting good advice from those that know!!

OK, you convinced me that the scott will work for digital. what should I expect to pay for the 222c in the link I left above?

What about scott separates? this other guy on ebay has a lot of scott stuff.

Thanks,

chris

The Scott 121b and 121c are great mono preamps.I find them much better and more musical than Marantz model 1's and they are quite cheap.

The 122 and 130 stereo preamps are considered very good but I have'nt heared them.

I own a pair of 265A 65wpc class A monoblocks which sound amazing but they are very powerfull and you probably don't need so much power.They also run the tubes on the max recommended current/voltage so tube life is not so high.