Ceiling Speakers for Heritage HT

cerescobra

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, billybob said:

The moment I have been waiting for.

Looking great...

Almost looks like Berber carpet.

According to the carpet installer, most anything that's not plush is essentially a berber.  This is commercial closed loop carpet that looks alot different in person.  There's more green in it to go with the wall color.

• Like 1

On 2/25/2022 at 11:20 AM, billybob said:

The moment I have been waiting for.

Looking great...

And now the moment I've been waiting for.  Sounding great!  Got everything hooked up and got through initial setup of the processor and could sit for hours and just listen.  And knowing there are improvements to be made with placement, calibration, room treatments and Dirac, I expect the future to sound fabulous.  It exceeds my expectations already....

IMG_20220226_202243952e.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 2/25/2022 at 10:19 AM, cerescobra said:

Now that the carpet has been installed, I was able to drag the speakers out of storage, clean them up and place them in the theater.  They make for a pretty impressive front stage!

IMG_20220223_121925240e.jpg

IMG_20220223_200228575e.jpg

IMG_20220223_200303886e.jpg

I'm not sure if that's your final speaker placement, but Bill recommends the THTs to have the mouth firing into the wall behind them, 18" away from the wall.

On 2/27/2022 at 10:22 AM, wuzzzer said:

I'm not sure if that's your final speaker placement, but Bill recommends the THTs to have the mouth firing into the wall behind them, 18" away from the wall.

I read that and have done exactly what Bill recommends.  The mouths of the THTs are now about 18" from the front wall.  Sounds great!

• Like 2

So yesterday my neighbor helped me lift the 50 lb. beast of a projector onto its ceiling mount. I got it hooked up and adjusted image location on the screen. Then I decided to check various Blurays with different aspect ratios to see how they appeared on the screen and made some minor tweaks. Then I discovered that I had no center channel audio and found that I hadn't connected the XLR cable from the XMC-2 to the amp. Whoa, did that make a difference?

My friends have asked me what would be the first movie I'd watch when the theater was done. Well, it wasn't a movie. The last aspect ratio I checked was 16x9 and happened to be with the Bluray of the Eagles Farewell Tour Live from Melbourne. And I thought it might be good to sample the audio since I had just added the center channel to the mix. Well, I sampled nearly the entire concert. The projector throws a spectacular image, but the audio was unbelievable. With DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1, I've never heard a more realistic concert audio track or one that is as percussion-forward as this. The 40+ year old Klipsch Heritage speakers performed beautifully and the capability of the Tuba HT DIY subwoofers was more than confirmed. Tight, punchy bass was fabulous. And all I've done in audio setup was to set speaker distances. I haven't gotten the dB meter out yet to set levels and haven't even thought about setting up Dirac. Or experienced a movie with a Dolby Atmos soundtrack. And none of the room treatments have been added. So this is going to be a really fun journey!

I still have lots of finishing to do in the theater and I'll look forward to very high quality work tunes along the way. Still haven't decided on a first movie yet.....

IMG_20220302_060915691e.jpg

IMG_20220227_202748904e.jpg

IMG_20220227_170033790e.jpg

• Thanks 1

I use a miniDSP 2x4HD, UMIK and REW to calibrate my THTs.  I was happy that at my main listening positions there were no nulls and only a few peaks to tame.  I added a sharp high pass filter at 17Hz to free up amp wattage and headroom.  This graph shows the final results after only spending about two hours doing the measurements:

download.jpeg

The output from these is insane, yet so refined.  With 5 Heresys the SPL output from everything is unbelievable.  I can't imagine what your setup with LaScalas sounds like!

2 hours ago, wuzzzer said:

I use a miniDSP 2x4HD, UMIK and REW to calibrate my THTs.  I was happy that at my main listening positions there were no nulls and only a few peaks to tame.  I added a sharp high pass filter at 17Hz to free up amp wattage and headroom.  This graph shows the final results after only spending about two hours doing the measurements:

download.jpeg

The output from these is insane, yet so refined.  With 5 Heresys the SPL output from everything is unbelievable.  I can't imagine what your setup with LaScalas sounds like!

Nice!  Thanks for the info.  I'll be doing REW traces soon, I hope and begin dialing in the system.  But it sounds unbelievably good just like it is.  Hard to believe it can be even better.

• Like 2