Lascala Industrial dating and crossover questions

Wolfden

On 3/13/2021 at 11:32 AM, RandyH000 said:

your older diaphragm was actually better quality , they had  Beryllium leads   to handle higher power ,    the newer diaphragms are all  Phenolic aftermarket --China-PH since EV no longer manufactures  them  and the leads are the weak point  leading to frying of the voice coil  - 

CritesSpeakers sells the phenolic diaphragms with the copper-beryllium leads. From their website:

These tweeters were manufactured by Electro-Voice for Klipsch until about 1979.  We have the correct diaphragms for these tweeters made by the same company that originally made them.  

These are 8 ohm phenolic diaphragms with copper-beryllium leads. The copper-beryllium leads allow better performance and higher power handling capability than earlier diaphragms.

3 hours ago, Marvel said:

CritesSpeakers sells the phenolic diaphragms with the copper=beryllium leads. From their website:

These tweeters were manufactured by Electro-Voice for Klipsch until about 1979.  We have the correct diaphragms for these tweeters made by the same company that originally made them.  

These are 8 ohm phenolic diaphragms with copper-beryllium leads. The copper-beryllium leads allow better performance and higher power handling capability than earlier diaphragms.

Bobby ran out of the older  parts with the Beryllium leads about 10 years ago 

Mike's Email /

I can no longer get the diaphragms with the beryllium leads.

The only rebuild option I have for K-77s, now is the kit that is used in the K-77F
Thanks, 
Michael Crites, Owner
B&K Enterprises

On 3/16/2021 at 8:45 AM, geoff. said:

Well it's only been a week since I installed Crites diaphragm and seems to be holding up well so far, my listening habits are loud, VERY LOUD!!!!! The way Rock in my opinion was intended and haven't fried the voice coil or notice any detriment in sound thus far though I can say the new diaphragms are much brighter than the original. The previous owner for some reason, I'm guessing perhaps that's what he had on hand put 5 amp fuses instead of the 3 amp fuses and that caused that Tweeter to fail. Maybe I should bring this next part over to Technical and modifications but since I've decided to hang on to these at least for the time being I decided to recalibrate my system using the Denon audyssey room calibration, it shows that my lascalas AR out of phase, I did this three times thinking it was some Ambient sound from outside something I don't know but to no avail so I did the quick next logical thing and reversed polarity on my lascalas and and the process continued as normal, what gives, any thoughts?

On 3/16/2021 at 8:45 AM, geoff. said:

I loved my LaScalas nearfield!

Maybe a 10’ equilateral triangle, speakers at least a foot off the back wall. The farther out, the deeper the soundstage.

The K-43 in the Industrials really makes a difference. A couple decibels more response in the midbass gives it serious guitar punch. It’s supposed to not go as low as the K-33, by a few Hz, but it responds much more favourably to EQ without getting muddy. 

This may sound backwards, but maybe hold off selling them until after you get your new pair of speakers to compare them to. You will always be able to sell them, they aren’t making any more LSIs...

I have owned three pairs of LS over the years and still have LSI Splits.

What I always found interesting when selling the other pairs was the majority of interested buyers that echoed this comment:

“I used to own LaScalas, and I wish I had never sold them.” 

Unfortunately I don't have the room to get that distance. I have them in the only viable spot now and that puts my primary listening at about eight feet. I do have them towed in slightly at about 6 in off the wall, that's about as far as I can get them off the wall without them being in the way and being even closer to my listening position. As far as buying another pair before selling these I actually thought about that but I would be stretching my budget. We'll see what happens thanks.

Not sure why that latter post keeps popping up everytime I hit reply but since I have decided for now to keep the LSIs I am running them side-by-side with the klf 30s, would that for some reason give the Denon audyssey room calibration the impression of out of phase? If that makes any sense. I ask this because I know speaker placement obviously affects what the mic is reading, an example would be a surround speaker placed in a corner that is only physically capable I'm going down to 80 Hertz because of its placement the the mic perceives it as capable of 60 hertz, not exact numbers but just to the point so is that possible with phasing also? Just a shot in the dark bearing in mind that reversing the polarity on the lascalas allowed the room calibration to finish.