Tim

Tim Cordle

Have Klipsch RP 5000F speakers and Yamaha RN803BL recommended as a purchase to drive them and lower end Yamaha TT S303 turntable but I've got really nothing but distortion coming from the speakers. Connections have been checked and re-checked with no change. What's wrong? Is there still not enough power to drive the speakers?

• Like 1

Hi Tim, welcome to the forums.

That turntable has an option to use a built in phono preamp so you can plug it into an aux/line level input. If you have that switched on, and plugged into the phono input, it will have the wrong eq and be overdriven.

Check that and see how the truntable is set. If plugged into the phono input on the amp, put the output switch on the turntable to THRU.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Tim Cordle said:

What's wrong? Is there still not enough power to drive the speakers?

First of all, welcome to the Klipsch forums.  For all questions Klipsch you've come to the right place.  Good people here with expert knowledge on nearly all things Klipsch.

Your Yamaha AVR is a modern one and should drive the 5000F very easily. I agree with @Marvel directly upstream ^^^ that there is something going on with your source.  Try playing your speakers through another source, a CD player or even built-in tuner if you have one.  That should help you trouble shoot.

• Like 1

It's been since the last century that I've owned a turntable.  Mine had a ground wire both on the TT and the AVR.  I know if I didn't have that ground wire connected the sound was awful.

Does the TT have a manual?  As @Marvel suggested, I wonder if it gets plugged into the Phono section of the AVR or into an Aux connector? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wvu80 said:

Does the TT have a manual?  As @Marvel suggested, I wonder if it gets plugged into the Phono section of the AVR or into an Aux connector? 

Either one, and as I mentioned above, depending on what you plug it into, turn the preamp on or off.

• Like 1

@Tim Cordle,

Welcome to the forum.

13 hours ago, Tim Cordle said:

Have Klipsch RP 5000F speakers and Yamaha RN803BL recommended as a purchase to drive them and lower end Yamaha TT S303 turntable but I've got really nothing but distortion coming from the speakers. Connections have been checked and re-checked with no change. What's wrong? Is there still not enough power to drive the speakers?

Your Yamaha stereo receiver has plenty of grunt to power your speakers with ease.  I'll bet it has something to do with the TT.

Bill

• Like 2