rb-5 or rf-5

snipes

I just came back from auditioning the new reference line. I went in planning to hear the rb5 II. The dealer did not have them on display. He did have and I listened to the rb3, rf3, rf5 and rf7. The rf3 and rf5's sounded pretty similar, but due to various reasons I would get the rf5's. Can someone comment on the differences between the rb5 II's and rf5's? Price is not an issue in this case. I'm a bookshelf guy, but there was a HUGE difference between the rb3's and the floorstanders. I have an M&K MX 150 sub to handle the really low stuff.

Thanks.

Not sure what your application is with these speakers, but the soundstage is also a lot larger on the RF5's. I had RF3's for a long while, and then I tried RB5II's as mains. They were good, but I felt there was something I was missing. I still kept them though, they are my surrounds in a 5.1 system. I do more music listening than movies, so that's why I have monopole surrounds. I just recently got the RF5's so they are still breaking in, but from what I can tell so far they have a slightly smoother mid-range than the RF3's. So far so good! 9.gif

totally different speakers. RB-5s are for bedrooms, etc. where you need stand or shelf mounting (though the rear firing port makes a shelf a less than ideal location for them!) to fill a modest space with great klipch reference sound. the RF-5s on the other hand can fill out a larger space with sound. they will play louder and clearer ate high volume. they will have have more bass output. but they will not fit a tiny room very well. IMO its all about space, how much do you have? regards, tony

My room is 13x19. The speakers will be at one end of the short side. One side of the longer 19' wall is open which leads to the kitchen, front door etc. The speakers will be about 2' from the back wall and 3' from the side. My main listening position is 9' from the fronts of the speakers. I will use them 50/50 between 2channel and HT. I also plan to use them as my everyday speakers when listening to the TV. I'm getting rid of my silk tweeters to get more dynamics in music and HT. My musical tastes are 90%rock, and techno. My main concern with Klipsch is listener fatigue from the metal tweets. I listen at moderate levels most of the time and of course crank it up when the mood and time of day allows.

Thanks.