Stunning 299B on Ebay

NOSValves

From the FAQ:

"
The Moondogs have the edge in the midrange department with a silky smooth and very liquid midrange. The Laurels can equal the Moondogs if you're using the Ultimate Upgrade and the WE300Bs. The Laurels have a little better control on the bottom-end versus the Moondogs. The Apollos don't have as sweet a midrange as the other two amps but they really grab hold of the Lowthers and manage to squeeze a few more hertz out of the bottom-end and in general provide what I feel is a fuller/wider soundstage. The differences described above, while not subtle, are not what I would classify as "knock you out of your seat" different.

The only reason he tries to equalize the Apollos, in my view, it so the people who HAVE to take the Apollo option (ie 90% of the speaker owner populace) will not feel too bad. IT just isnt in the same league midrange wise... I have heard a host of high watt SET amps. The difference might as well be in different states. It just doenst have the mouth watering mids, double so as its high power AND SANS tube rectification. I didnt think you should get them as they wouldnt take you the full 9 yards.

The difference is "not a little bit of finesse." The difference is very much like one of my FAVORITE QUOTES by Mark Twain:

"The difference between the RIGHT word and the almost right word, is the difference between lightning and the lightning Bug"

I personally just dont think the Apollos will get you there, no matter what is thrown in there. When matched up with the high watt offering compared to the low watt SET offering, I have picked the low watt option every time, even when the price is THREE to FOUR times over the little brother (price becomes a moot point at a certain stage). Still, you could help things a bit with some oil caps... but how much? If you really do want to try that, I would give it a go. Also, to be honest, I wouldnt have gone the KR route. To me, these tubes as a family DO NOT sound very nice.

As for the speakers and the amps debate, I'm not with you there totally either. Although I do think the speakers have a major effect on the sound, especially when you are talking HORNS vs regular dynamic drivers, I still believe the electronics are just as important. I have heard GREAT amps on completely mediocre speakers do better than a mediocre amp on a great pair of speakers.

The Scott is your FIRST vintage amp. IT is by no means the LAST vintage choice, however. Still, I'll see the ole 299 sooner or later. I heard the 222C (and digital at that) and want to hear the 299.

Still, I must have grown hoarse trying to talk you into getting those Klipschorns when they were on ebay. I think I posted four times (you didnt speak to me for two months). But yes, the Cornwalls are GREAT speakers and I think you will be bowled over by them. Still, I think you would turn a flip with the Khorns and a good SET. But hey, it's just me prattling on... Youre going to do what youre going to do. The Cornwalls are great speakers. I was just wanting to you get TWO systems setup to bring the most out of each type of amplification.

kh

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like the Twain qoute.

Was it really two months? I got that last email from you about having to take a break from the forum to get some work done. You sounded like you needed some space -- so I gave it to you. Ah Master Yoda -- you can be so sensitive sometimes:) It was nothing personal, and I wasn't mad in the least bit.

No money for K-horns, but have money for Cornwalls -- it's really just that simple.

We have different priorities in our listening. I feel like I have to get some juice to carry the SPLs I like to carry from time to time. Where this is at the near top of my list -- it is at the the very bottom for you.

Like I said, down the road, K-horns probably -- and then I can sacrifice the power.

Dean,

Kelly has some pretty heavy independant label vinyl in that collection of his.

Ask him for a list, and check them out.

He has more than just Jazz material.

I'm in the same boat as you Dean, I'm a old headbanger and always will be a old headbanger, maybe a little more so than you are. And I'll never give it up.

But if you had asked me about Jazz before I discovered Klipsch and this Forum, I would have told you to find the nearest elevator.

That and a good friend of mine whose Father was a big jazz and big band fanatic, I've opened up and discovered some really great music.

Hell, the last 4 CeeDee's I bought were Jazz and big band.

(Too bad most the Compact Disc's recordings suck, some are not bad.)

Thanks for remembering, Mike.

I dont know how many times I have posted the very fact that I probably have more heavy / discordant / hard / trash / challenging music in my collection than about anyone in this forum. I have a massive collection of punk, post modern punk, Lo-Fi, garage, noise, distortion pop, heavy etc bands that will outnumber most peoples' entire collections of all their genres.

While working on sites, emails, posts today, here is a sampling of what I listened to at easily the mid 90s range and above via my Linn/PE tables - Cary - 2A3 Monos - 77 Cornwalls all with vinyl:

Donovan - Hurdy Gurdy Man

The Who - Live at Leeds

Volcano Suns - All Night Lotus Party

Urge Overkill 7" - I'm on a Drunk

The Didjits 7" - Headless

Screaming Trees 7" - Days

Big Black - The Hammer Party

Dinosaur Jr. - Bug

Robert Pollard - Volunteer Fire Dept.

Ornette Coleman - The Shape of Things to Come

Art Pepper - Thursday Night at the Village Vanguard

Eric Dolphy - Europe Vol 1

Coleman Hawkins - Side 2 of Soulville

Helium - Dirt of Luck

Right now I am listening to my Linn:

John Mayall - The Turning Point (bit of change of pace)

The sound is filling my very small condo with ease. I am in the back room working and the main system is 25 feet away.

Still, this does not make thy stereo alone. In the above list, you will not find any pure metal per say (it just doesnt do anything for me mentally - I like heavy bands but the stuff they are passing for metal these days sounds like music for the non-thinking. At least some of the oldder metalesque bands had some edge that wasnt manufactured).

I happen to like the EL-84 vintage with a good portion of that material as well. I happen to think the 2A3 is better at rock than the 300B. But the EL-34 is also GREAT when in a good amp.

But know, I am not looking for Subwoofer bass or SS impact, all of which I believe sounds unnatural and cast from a coloring book with bright markers. But I will say that heavy rock is best served with the BEST of the PP amps and .....sin of sins....something besides Klipsch. I think they are just on the BRIGHT side of natural, and with mediocre recordings or recordings that dont play to their strengths, can be relentless. Still, the GOOOD outweighs the bad to me...and they produce some AMAZING GOOD.

BTW, there is GREAT jazz that is heavy, challenging, and WAAAY OUT THERE....far more complex and emotionally interactive that 99% of metal. You just have to expose yourself to it...something that is not always easy to do.

kh

I don't know, Heavy Metal, Speed/Thrash Metal, Butt Rock pretty much died off with the Eighties.

(And it's about where the dates on my collection end.)

Rap and grunge pretty much killed it.

The new stuff always sounds like a rehashed example of a band that did rehashed example of another band, etc...etc...

I'm working on opening up my genres of music material.