Did some SPL reading in my car =)

Orange Peel

I took my SPL meter to my car and wanted to see what kind of SPL I have been listening to all these years....

An almost every song on the radio, I was hittin 120 db's! Some times it would peak above 120 db. I knew it was loud, but not that loud 9.gif I found it pretty cool.

Just thought I would share my test 1.gif

lol, you can't really compare a car stereo to a home one though as far as spl or sound quality go. Car's are in a much more refined space, so it would be like taking the spl meter, getting all your speakers together in one little corner, and than taking the reading from a foot away. just not the same as having it in a big room.

Thats right Orange Peel,

120db will damage your hearing over a period of time.

Most measurement scales consider 120db to be the point at which hearing damage starts.

This is why I was so glad to find out that when I was watching EpisodeII and it was really loud I was only getting 110db.

Just be careful with your hearing, It's not something you can get back once it's gone.

Peace, Josh

"I am surely producing more damage to my ears in the car with my system. Wouldn't you say?"

Amen to what Invidiosulus has said !

A couple of years ago the Swedish Air Force released a report that said that fully 30% of the pilots who applied to them for training as fighter pilots were rejected because of hearing damage.

It would be interesting to know what the rejection ratio might have been 20 years earlier before the day of megawatt car stereos.