Recommend Center speaker to go with Forte IIs

denti

I have some nice Bob Crites upgraded Forte IIs that I love. I’d like to get a center channel to go with them for movies. I’m currently using an SPL-120 as a sub and an Infinity (forget model) as center. It’s fine, but it would be nice to match the timbre and quality of the Forte IIs. However, I only have 22” wide and 8 3/4” high space to put it in. Suggestions?

First and obvious choice would be another Forte II, then a Quartet, then an Academy for the closest timbre match.  A KG 2.2V, 2.5V, or KV-3 would come close but far from ideal.  Definately do not use anything from the Reference line as they will be way off.

Have you got room for a Heresy II or III?  It should be a good timbre match with the Forte, and they’re not hard to find.  I bought a pair of Heresy IIs, just to get one to use as a centre channel between a pair of old La Scalas.  As it happened, the seller needed the money to help pay for the La Scalas that he had just bought.  A year later, I upgraded it to Heresy III spec with an upgrade kit from Klipsch.  Those kits are amazing.  It pretty much gives you a brand new speaker.  At only $300, it was amazingly good value.

Eventually, I got a Belle Klipsch to use as a centre channel, so now the Heresy III is in the Centre Rear position, still doing a fine job.

BTW, the Heresys sound fine upright or lying on their sides.  Unlike those centre speakers with a pair or matching drivers, the Heresys don’t have any lobing issues