I kept my mouth shut !!!!

Dale W

I just saved my sister from a life with Bose....

She is moving to a small highrise apartment in downtown Toronto, and does not have room for her KG4.5's.

She went to the store and the salesman was going to sell her some Bose system. Luckilly she waited till after the Holidays, when I heard her story at the family get together, I told her to forget it, to swing by my house so I can give her an old set of KSB 2.1's I had laying around.

Those will work great for her.

JM

While visiting old highschool buddy, he had to torture me with these great sounding bose 301's cranked to clipping. He had a big smile the whole time while I cringed. Months later he listened to my spare Cerwin-Vegas AT-15's, "They sound ok". Then I turned on the HT with the CF-4's...He had that "deer in the headlights look" and said nothing. Marketing, marketing, marketing. 16.gif

• 3 weeks later...

a thought

while my s/n may falsely imply that i am some kind of audiophile, there is no way i can make such a claim.

what many of these people are saying, tbrennan, is that they dont care for the sound of the bose speakers, or perhaps they do, but prefer the sound of other systems. bose doesnt appeal to me, because i know that to have real sound, your speakers have to MOVE AIR, not be cool little boxes that can actually emit substantial noise.

but then again, if a man (or woman) is pleased with his or her system, and they can sit in the sweet spot, close their eyes, and get goosebumps because the music is THAT good, then whatever system they have is just fine. at the end of the day, it comes down to the music, and if you have a system that accurately reproduces music to your likings, whether or not you and i may agree with others' standards...then God love them for loving the best art form ever introduced to our society.....music!

Nate

a thought

while my s/n may falsely imply that i am some kind of audiophile, there is no way i can make such a claim.

what many of these people are saying, tbrennan, is that they dont care for the sound of the bose speakers, or perhaps they do, but prefer the sound of other systems. bose doesnt appeal to me, because i know that to have real sound, your speakers have to MOVE AIR, not be cool little boxes that can actually emit substantial noise.

but then again, if a man (or woman) is pleased with his or her system, and they can sit in the sweet spot, close their eyes, and get goosebumps because the music is THAT good, then whatever system they have is just fine. at the end of the day, it comes down to the music, and if you have a system that accurately reproduces music to your likings, whether or not you and i may agree with others' standards...then God love them for loving the best art form ever introduced to our society.....music!

Nate

• 4 weeks later...

Bose is not the problem, Nuance (or is it nuisance), is the real scam. Don't know if you boys in the states have these, but they're not much better than the guys selling out of the back of the van6.gif, they sell these things to unsuspecting people with their infamous in-store sales tactics.

My opinion is that if you don't research the gear you're going to buy, then it's your own fault. These guys take it a step too far though.

The pros and cons of Bose products are like any others...you either like 'em or you don't; to each their own, and if it sounds good to you, blah blah blah. You know the drill...

I for one, love my Klipsch Cornwalls; they sound outstandingly clear to my ears. But there are others in the audio world who can't stand them...that's their perogative. You can't please everyone. I also love the dynamic imaging and soundstage of my Magnepans, but their extreme inefficiency gobbled more power than any amp I could provide for them (my Mac MC7200 couldn't even feed 'em enough watts).

In '84 I auditioned a pair of Bose 901 Direct-Reflecting loudspeakers and a pair of large JBL L112 Century II bookshelf monitors...I actually liked the openess of the 901s, but they lacked any true bass, which the L112s had in abundance, with their thick 12" woofers. After careful listening, I chose the JBLs...today my youngest brother uses the pair connected in parallel for his HT center channel...wow!

My other brother bought a pair of Bose 301 loudspeakers back in the early eighties that he continuously used until just last month when he replaced them with the RTi70, Polk Audio's latest HT towers (he had auditioned Klipsch RF5s, but they were out of his budget). His 301s are now pulling surround sound duty in his HT, but he swears by them and will never part with them! Cool.

Like my dad always says, "If you're happy, then I'm happy". Bose may or may not be everyone's cup o' tea, but why bash a company's products just because you don't care for them. I'm no real fan of Bose, but I ain't gonna knock 'em either! They're obviously doing something right; they're still in business! Maybe there are alot of tin-eared consumers that think that Bose loudspeakers are "the nutz" (my dad again), but if it floats their boat, then "Cey La Vie". Some have told me I have a tin-ear for lovin' my vintage horns...whatever!

I ain't gonna make fun of you if you love old B&W 801s, Duntech Sovereigns, or Radio Shack Optimus Pro X77 mini monitors!

"If you're happy, then I'm happy".1.gif

In my younger days, I was the tech. director of a 1200 seat theatre for a college. We had a performer come through with a sound system consisting of two Bose 800s and a Crown DC-300a. We offered him the use of our stack of LaScalas, and surprisingly enough, he agreed to a "shoot-out" between the Bose and the Klipsch. We set the levels with white noise so neither side would get the advantage of higher spl. After about 30 seconds of switching back and forth, the performer began to shake his head. After two or three minutes one of my student employees came over and said "You're really rubbing his face in it, aren't you?" Well, I had to admit, he had a point, so I knocked the demo off and asked the performer what his druthers were. The Bose went back to the van.

The performer came back several times - I guess he hadn't been too offended - but the Bose never again made it out of the back seat.

2.gif

A note to those who are investing a little more emotional capital in this discussion than it may be worth ... Mark Twain said "It's a difference of opinions that makes a horse race."

I am taking the courses and one of the other students works for Bose. I was spouting out at the mouth telling the story of my speaker selection experience and I mentioned how I was, emphasize was, impressed with the Bose system. She started telling me all about the Bose technology and why they sound so awesome. Figuring she was an owner of Bose she asked me what I ended up with I told home KLIPSCH.

She asked why I didn't go with Bose. I said something to the affect, I can't see spending that much money on several sets of headphone connected by really long cables.

Well, she hasn't spoken to me since.

Friday I will complete my system with my RF-7s

Scott

Pioneer 49txi and DV-47ai

RC7 RS7 and soon RF7

SVS PC+ 2039

OMG she is very nice looking and a very nice person to boot.

But I think I may have gone a little overboard explaining why I thought bose was crap, if that is possible.

well, in the living room we do have a Bose wave radio/cd player. It does a fantastic job filling the room with sound and it does sounds great.

Oh well, I am happy with my Klipsch and can't wait to replace my RF3 II with the RF-7s on friday....

another notch in my bed post of women whom will never talk to me again....LOL

I have a full page ad from The Saturday Evening Post dated 1937. STROMBERG-CARLSON. The ad show,s a large floor standing console radio plus a cutaway of the speaker chamber. It show,s a ACOUSTICAL LABYRINTH like the BOSE. But on a larger scale. This was 1937. The cost of this floor standing radio was $197.50. The ad states-- The long passageway of the Acoustical Labyrinth takes the place of the usual box like cavity in the cabinet which is the source of the exaggerated boom in low tones. It gives you deeper bass notes, with a new fidelity and increases the volume capacity and accuracy of the loud speaker.-- This was 1937. Now I wonder where BOSE got his idea.

• 2 weeks later...