What kind of tube amp did PWK use????

heresy2guy

I know of two kinds of amps PWK used, but I can't remember the models...both were tube jobs though. One was an old tube Marantz that was built by Saul B. Marantz himself for PWK(if I remember correctly it was ACTUALLY a pair of monoblocks)...the other was a McIntosh. In the lab he had numerous tube amps, and the tube amp in the original listening room at the old brick building was a McIntosh tube job.

As far as I know, PWK's original tube amps he voiced his horns on (such as the Early Klipschorn prototypes) was a Brook 2A3 PP coming in around 5-10w or so.

These Brook amps are HIGHLY sought after and you dont see them too often. This is why many feel the ultra low watt 2A3 amps are great option for the vintage Klipsch Heritage. A buddy of mine (Jean-Francois) is also getting ready to build some push-pull 2A3 amps this year.

kh

I believe that Kelly's right on with this one ... and I have to add that I've had the Wright 2A3 3.5 WPA SET hooked up to them for a few weeks now and they just PURR. The Eico sounds MIGHTY FINE but I think the Klipschorn and the Wrights (or Moondogs) are soulmates.

BTW, I got the Wright WPP100C phono stage in late last night and will be rearranging the family room's amplification gear to snag a decent pair of interconnects (been meaning to pull out both those Anthems for a while now). Official test day will be Monday. The table is crowded right now but is beautiful with fourteen tubes on the top and two on the bottom. I'm almost done and am looking forward to TWO WEEKS of LPs and music in general.

Chris,

I haven't had time to say "Congratulations" on the purchase of your Wright 2A3 monoblocks. I have not had much time to "hang out" on the internet or the 2 Channel Forum for the last couple of months. I'm sure you will enjoy the combination of the Wrights/Khorns/MMF-7. I'm also sure Kelly has made sure you are using good 2A3 tubes and drivers. A good "phono" interconnect, not just any interconnect will make a difference to the audio quality heard from your turntable and cartridge. I'm using a VPI connect, but Kimber I believe also makes a good connect for TTs that will not break the bank(relativeley speaking). Which ever interconnect you choose, it should not be brittle, but it should be compliant/flexible. Enjoy your weeks listening to vinyl.

Klipsch out.

The amps I referred to in my first post here are what were used in his home (the WAF had a part in what was displayed there,of course!)...and in the company listening room (when he had control over it)...He had numerous tube amps he used in the lab for testing and voicing, though...and the lab was his "REAL" home, being the tinkerer he was!

Edit: When I was one of the volunteer "human forklifts" for the move of equipment and such up the hill to the new lab, from the old telephone exchange lab building, I overheard PWK and one of the engineers discussing equipment as it was all being installed in the new lab. That engineer remarked about one of the old amps PWK really utilized alot in the lab, saying, "...and something like this would be perfect for the new listening room..." PWK kinda perked up at that, and said, "No that is staying RIGHT HERE! Besides, when our visitors are listening to my horns, I think it best they be listening to an amplifier they recognize and can STILL BUY."

Then he kinda eased toward the piece being discussed and "hovered" there for a few minutes in a protective demeanor with his arms hugged around it, and one of those looks like a kid has when somebody is trying to take something from him, while he cracked one of those sublime grins of his! It got us All tickled! LOL! I have no idea what the make of that amp WAS, but he obviously treasured it, even though its cosmetic appearance left something do be desired with its obvious covering of blotchy paint brush touch-ups on its parts! LOL!

While he definitely used a wide variety of amps since the early days, the reference to the 3w amp you are referring to is actually this Brook 2A3 amp that he voiced his early designs with. I have seen this repeated time and time again, and have several reference articles with this amp as subject.

Of course, everyone should remember the loose quote from Paul: "What the World REALLY needs is a GREAT 5w amp!" Paul evidently realized long ago the importance of the first watt in the sonics of an amplifier. This is something that high watt tubes and especailly SOLID STATE miss in the reproduction. If the first watt is bad, why have 100 more? Just as in politics, POWER CAN CORRUPT! heh...

kh

I don't think anybody is trying to argue the point of what he used to voice his early speakers with here. Or what he used in the lab. But in his home, it was McIntosh...for as long as I was working there anyway...and was when he passed on, too...same thing for the listening room...until the engineers threw some solid state in there.

When I was still deciding on which home theater power amp to buy, I called McIntosh a few times with questions that the sales people couldn't answer.

Durning one of my conversations about McIntosh with Klipschorns, this was said to me. "What do you think Paul uses in his home?"

Makes me appreciate my McIntosh MC250 even more. Sure, it's solid-state, but I think its Autoformers make this 50-watter more "tube-like" in its sound. Of course, no solid-state amp (no matter how close Bob Carver tried to emulate the "tube sound" in his creations) can compare to valves (the real deal). Someday I'll replace the MC250 with a Mac tube equivelant (or vintage Marantz, Dynaco, Audio Research, etc.)...I've only experienced valves in my audio system last year with a flimsy AMC CVT1030s tube preamp. I replaced the Chinese tubes with JAN Philips 12AU7 and 12AX7WA NOS pairs, and my sources sounded far better than my old Carver C-4000 preamp! I could tell my Cornwalls loved tubes, but what they really need is valve amplification! A Mac MC275 would be icing on the cake! Someday.

That's funny!

I have a '91 Carver 490t tube buffered output CD player.

Bugle boy 6DJ8's, BurrBrown 2134 slop amps, Nichicon Muse, some Elna, and Hexfreds in the power supply.

Stripped down of excess garbage, bits of blue tac in appropiate places.

Doesn't sound all that spectacular, doesn't sound all bad either.

I've been beating the piss out of this player for years, it won't die.

But I prefer my tweaked Samsung 709 DVD player.

That's one modified 490t! Never had a problem with mine, but my budget won't allow me to upgrade to a new tube CD player yet. I've got my eye on JoLida's latest offering, the JD-100 24/96 vacuum tube CD player...also others to consider, like Ajoe Tjoeb, Cary Audio, Shanling...maybe even a used 490t! My limited experience with a tube preamp (the AMC was cheaply constructed, but it did work; sold on eBay for twice what I paid for it) just wet my appetite for tube amplification; my Cornwalls deserve no less! Reading other posts on the virtues of vacuum tubes and Klipsch products (like a match made in Heaven) only confirm what I just learned; to achieve the best possible sound from your Klipsch loudspeakers, you gotta use tubes! PWK would've wanted it that way.

• 4 weeks later...

I was told a story by a salesman in a "high end" AKA "boutique" stereo store in Walnut Creek,CA that PWK paid them a visit during the days they sold Khorns and the Heritage line. The store sells high end tube amps, pre's etc., including Jolida for the not so well healed in the pockets. PWK had one of his young hot shot Area sales managers with him. Upon seeing all of the tube equipment in the store, he remarked that this was the way Klipsch speakers were meant to be powered and heard by the public.

I have also read in a few places that the Brooks 2A3 amp was PWK's all time favorite amp.

Klipsch out.