Looking for wiring guidance on Khorn crossover swap from AK-2 to AK-3

William Blaak

Hello All, 

I have been a lurker for a while but I finally have something to post. 

I have a set of Crites AK-3's to replace the stock AK-2. These are the ones with the woofer part of the crossover in the bass bin.

How to rewire is not straightforward (to me) as far as the bass, I can build cabs all day but wiring confuses the hell out of me. Has anyone else done this specific swap. I would like to keep the fuses in the circuit. 

And/or is there by chance a wiring diagram or instructions anywhere, didn't seem to be anything on the Crites site. 

Thankyou in advance for any input!

bassbinjackplate.jpg

crossoverhookups.jpg

Khorn-bassbin.jpg

Edited by William Blaak

Unscrew and pull the black plastic terminal cup through the opening. Cut a piece of 1/2" thick wood or 3/16" aluminum the same size as the plastic cup flange. Mark and drill for the screw holes on your new plate, using the cup as your template. Zip tie the old cup and intact wires to the other wires on the big capacitors and the inductor, making sure they won't rattle. Drill your new plate for binding posts. Connect new wires from there to the woofer(s). Apply some foam gasket tape to the new plate and close up the woofer chamber. Connect wire from new crossover to the new binding posts. Add fuse holders as desired. Most Klipschorns don't have fuses, so don't let unfused keep you from listening to some music.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Khornukopia said:

Unscrew and pull the black plastic terminal cup through the opening. Cut a piece of 1/2" thick wood or 3/16" aluminum the same size as the plastic cup flange. Mark and drill for the screw holes on your new plate, using the cup as your template. Zip tie the old cup and intact wires to the other wires on the big capacitors and the inductor, making sure they won't rattle. Drill your new plate for binding posts. Connect new wires from there to the woofer(s). Apply some foam gasket tape to the new plate and close up the woofer chamber. Connect wire from new crossover to the new binding posts. Add fuse holders as desired. Most Klipschorns don't have fuses, so don't let unfused keep you from listening to some music.

Hi Khornukopia, Thank you for the reply and suggestions. I very much like the idea of just replacing and keeping original wiring in tact. Unfortunately though, I don't have any access to a shop or my tools at the moment. But I like this

Edited by William Blaak
Technical clarity

Here's what I made...

post-57113-0-95140000-1393561561.jpg.2134de46d1dc70473c44cf4181485cae.jpg

Another option is to replace each 70uf capacitor with a 50uf and be done with the woofer section.  The inductor should be fine.

Then run a cable from the HF output of the terminal cup to the HF input of the crossover. 

Mike 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

AHA!! I 'think' I have it figured out.

I just need to disconnect the inductor from the fuse, connect the + and connect the - to any ground point.  And... actually... I don't think I need to disconnect that cap since that is just to ground, and disconnecting the inductor/original speaker leads takes that all out of the circuit(?).

crossoverhookups-solution-1.jpg

crossoverhookups-solution-1b.jpg

Edited by William Blaak
Technical clarity

31 minutes ago, mboxler said:

Here's what I made...

post-57113-0-95140000-1393561561.jpg.2134de46d1dc70473c44cf4181485cae.jpg

Another option is to replace each 70uf capacitor with a 50uf and be done with the woofer section.  The inductor should be fine.

Then run a cable from the HF output of the terminal cup to the HF input of the crossover. 

Mike 

Very nice!

Just to be clear...

Run a wire from the terminal cup input straight to the K-33, removing the connection to the inductor.  

Run cables from your amp to the new AK-3 sitting in the top hat.

Run cables from woofer out to the bottom terminal cup terminals.

Run cables from squawker out and tweeter out to the K-55 and K-77 (terminal cup not used).

The upper terminals on the terminal cup will be unconnected (looking from the outside). 

Clever, as long as you know that the low pass fuse is now between the crossover and the K-33 and the high pass fuse is now unused.

That should be okay.

Mike

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mboxler said:

Just to be clear...

Run a wire from the terminal cup input straight to the K-33, removing the connection to the inductor.  

Run cables from your amp to the new AK-3 sitting in the top hat.

Run cables from woofer out to the bottom terminal cup terminals.

Run cables from squawker out and tweeter out to the K-55 and K-77 (terminal cup not used).

The upper terminals on the terminal cup will be unconnected (looking from the outside). 

Clever, as long as you know that the low pass fuse is now between the crossover and the K-33 and the high pass fuse is now unused.

That should be okay.

Mike

Awesome! Thanks for that, confirms my above. The rest of the hook up and wiring is pretty straightforward, it was the bass bin wiring so I can use the current jacks, and keep the disconnects to a minimum.

Edited by William Blaak