cheap tube amp? Such a thing?

tpg

I have been thinking about adding a tube amp on to my system for a new way of listening. Are there any tube amps that will sound great but are not expensive at all? I mean less than $200, preferably less than $100, but that is probably not possible. I came across an S-5 kit ( http://www.tubeaudio.com/page23.html ) that is around $150 shipped of cource I will have to build it, which should be no problem at all. I am using KG-2.5's right now, but am thinking about building some speakers, if I can find the funds. So that is what it would power, if it is important. Any opinions/suggestions are appreciated.

If you do a search on Antique Sound Labs, look up the WAVE AV8 Monoblock's. Each tube amp is 10 watts into 8 ohms, each uses a pair of ECL82 tubes and two transformers (one for mains, one for output), each has a solid-state rectifier, and they're only $99 each, last I heard. For $119 each, you can buy the WAVE Covered...same amps but with tube covers and detachable power cords. I don't recall the specs on your KG-2.5, but if you're eventually building your own loudspeakers, then you can match them up. I've been told from a man in Belle Glade, FL who owns a pair of AV8's that my vintage Cornwalls would be a good matchup for them. Any loudspeaker, whether they be horns or single-driver Lowthers, that has a 92dB or better efficiency rating, should work fine with these little amps (5"H x 6"W x 10"D). I found the website: www.tubehifi.com. Good luck.5.gif

Well the wave 8's are indeed nice amps new for the bucks but they are built at that price point and I can garrantee you one thing they aren't going to touch almost any vintage amp period for sound quality. They also require a peramp so there's some more cash laid out.

Craig

Great first amps from all appearances and a solid rec in the new domain. I think some well working vintage amps would come in before it due to the higher quality iron. Still, for 100 or so each, it's hard to beat for new amps. The output transformers are the heart and soul of a tube amp and this is where a large portion of the ducats reside in more quality gear. The thing about the vintage amps is that most of the transformers were of higher quality than that lower end gear today (and even a GOOD many higher end samples).

Wave3.jpg

Still, the Waves are an interesting deal new. And they can be modified for more pleasing results.

On the other hand, if I had a nice pair of Cornwalls (and I do), I would opt for a tube solution higher up the food chain as I believe the Waves would just wet your appetite for more. IF you could spread your budget a bit, there are definitely other more compelling options. If wanting to stay in the $200 range, the up to spec vintage offering brings you the closest to the music. If you want NEW, I dont know too many other options cheaper than the little Waves.

kh

I'm driving my '78 Cornwalls via a solid-state McIntosh MC250 50 WPC amp (ca. early '70's). I'd love to replace my MC250 with a vintage Mac tube amp (MC245, MC275, etc.) Personally, I found that you can't beat the classic old equipment, as long as it's been maintained properly (slight mods are OK too). The ASL AV8s are nice monoblocks for the money...indeed, you probably won't find anything close in that price range new. But at $99 each, there may be skimping of high-quality parts (you get what you pay for15.gif ). If it was me, I'd save my money a while longer and buy a higher quality amp, new or used.

You might even find a host of better solutions besides those McIntosh examples you listed. A more bullet-proof series of amps you might not find along with a very easy load on the tubes. Still, banking on McIntosh in my view if more for the long standing reputation than their performance, although I have to admit not hearing them at length in years, and a few models have escaped me altogether, such as Allan Songer's favorite MC-30 Monos. Still, I just have not been head over heels over the McIntosh sound.

You might save some cash and go with other options. Regardless, I think tube power is definitely the way to go with vintage Klipch as it seems to bring out the best in the horns. While quality solid state does do fine, the air, richness, sense if life and immedicacy, not to menition a more realistic portrayal of space seems to drag you in like NO solid state amp. Indeed, I know of no speaker that cries out for tube more than the Heritage Klipsch. In a reversal of sorts, I acquired my Cornwalls expressively as a better match for my 3.5w 2A3 Monoblocks and PP EL-84 and EL-34 stereo amps.

I have had solid State monoblocks of one sort or another for years, the last of which were a pair of B&K M200 Sonata Monoblocks which were displaced by a $100 1959 EICO HF-81. I hazard to say that a fully functioning EICO of this nature with NOS tubes would make you feel quite a bit different about that ole McIntosh MC250, as crazy as that might sound.

kh

trespasser, I would advise patience. We all (believe me) want to rush into the hobby and end yp with closets full of transitional units. Save up past the $150 range, get to the $500-750 range and get yourself a decent vintage unit (like the unit deang just sold, etc.) You will then enjoy the result much more than rushing out to buy ANY-ole-thing with tubes for the $150-200 you currently can budget. Warm regards and good luck, tony

I loved the Wave 8s with my big old Cornwalls, although they do not match up so well with SS receivers as pre-amplifiers. (http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/archives/ ) I think that you can buy big old Klipsch horns for much less than what you could make them for and that is where I would put my money initially. Loudspeakers are the voice of the audio system, they are where you get the most bang for your buck. Amplifiers are the heart and soul of audio, they are were you spend the most money. So you might also investigate the hefty little noRh SE9, which is an intetegrated EL34 amplifier for only $00, shipped to your door. 6.gif

I loved the Wave 8s with my big old Cornwalls, although they do not match up so well with SS receivers as pre-amplifiers. (http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/archives/ ) I think that you can buy big old Klipsch horns for much less than what you could make them for and that is where I would put my money initially. Loudspeakers are the voice of the audio system, they are where you get the most bang for your buck. Amplifiers are the heart and soul of audio, they are were you spend the most money. So you might also investigate the hefty little noRh SE9, which is an intetegrated EL34 amplifier for only $400, shipped to your door. 6.gif

So TG, did you buy Craig's Heathkit yet?

That's a no-brainer there, a good 6BQ5 push-pull with a phono stage, tube rectified, and brought up to spec by Craig.

For $175 with shipping.

He posted 9 out of 10, So I'm sure it looks great, with good measured tubes.

So what if the unit looks like the dash of a '62 Rambler.

Hide it.

(It kinda grows on me.)

I can't afford it , and have too damn many tube amp projects anyway.

And ones to part out.

JMHO, YMMV.

After thinking a bit, I second the Craig amp option, especially if he has gone through the whole piece and it works and is in as good a condition as stated. Also, if aynthing does happen to go wrong, Craig would be there to help in the future.

Another option with that unit is to remove the cover, something good for tubes anyway, and it looks a bit more neat since you can SEE the glowing valves (almost worth weight in gold with tube amps...you have to SEE the beasts too).

And if you know a woodworker buddy, you could remove the dashboard faceplate, save it for future use or sale, and make a neat exotic wood face! I have several buddies that have done this and it looks very nice, almost unrecognizable. You could even get some knobs from Welborne or a host of other options. The damn thing would look as good as it sounded! I was going to get an EICO ST-70 and do the same thing for the face plate on that unit but opted to build an HF-81 in the near future.

If anything, $175 plus shipping for a gone over tube amp like this little piece is a great start and something I would recommend after talking about the unit with Craig the other day.

kh

Currently I have the Wright monoblocks in place with the Klipschorns and the pairing is magical. The new phono section is up and running today and I'm trying to set the output levels correctly.

But along the lines of this thread, next week I'm going to bring the Eico up here and run the phono stage into the line section of the Eico and give it a listen. I think it will be an interesting experiment!

You guy's are helping and hurting at the same time here !! It is a rebuilt plug and play amp that sound very good it even has the Russian PIO's in it. But you guy's keep slipping in the shipping for free not a big deal it will most likely only be $15 but $15 is $15 LOL !!! I'm already losing on this deal since these amps usually net $125 to $150 needing tubes and a rebuild !! But would rather sell it to a klipsch friend in need then on Ebay !!

Craig, I corrected my post. Sorry for the mixup. OK, now it REALLY better sound good! heh...

chris_sys1.jpg

Chris, really looking forward to some of your comments with the EICO and Wright Sound phono as well as the Wright Sounds with Wright Sound 2A3 Monos.

As I stated to you privately, I would keep both to have on tap. I know the 2A3 monos are an amazing combination with Klipsch from personal experience, although this was on vintage Cornwalls vs the 104dB Khorns. Yet the vintage EICO offers up something rare and elusive via modern tube gear. Not sure if a current dollar value comparison makes sense.

One thing is for sure, as I have said in the past, I really do think their is an amazing synergy going on with VINYL - TUBES - HORNS that is hard to duplicate with digital and even more difficult to decribe to someone that has not experienced it.

kh

ps- Chris, try using the MMF-7 WITHOUT the dust cover. I found an improvement with ALL my tables sans dust cover, at least for more critical listening.

Chris,

when you use the Phono stage with your EICO don't use the tape ins to bypass the preamp of the EICO or at the very least try it both way. As almost everyone lese that has tried the EICO as a power amp using the tape ins. I find it litterally ruins the little amps sound completely.

Craig

Kelly, thanks for the input on that ... and thanks for that nice shot you wiggled in there, descriptors and all! You just breathe artwork. I wanted to add that your avitars have been great (each rev.); I think the one of you on the TT gets "three thumbs up" ... that was just cool.

Yeah, I'm pretty much going to keep the Eico after a moment of temporary insanity ... I've put a lot of time and love into it, Craig's poured over it for hours on end, and it is just a great sounding amp. I DO need to move those Anthems out, though, because they need to be mated with some 80db speakers, not 95-104. They actually sound nice but aren't suited to higher end Heritage. The money would be helpful to fund some of the Jean-Francois magic coming in late winter/spring :)

Craig, I made a note of your recommendation. I was going to run the phono stage into one of the AUX inputs, not the tape in. Is this what you're recommending or am I on the wrong path?

Had a NOS 1982 pressing of Art Pepper (with Russ Freeman) going this afternoon. The recording seemed particularly good and the whole chain sounded quite musical, even though the phono needs a good two weeks of listening to settle in. I hear no harshness, however. Tin Pan Alley was just great with the string articulation "right there" and excellent presence. I wish I had a hint of soundstage in this room but it's not going to happen. Johnny Winter's "Nothing But the Blues" really talked, although that recording is not as good as some.

When the house is quiet tonight, I might put on some Genesis, torch up the fireplace and dream of a white Christmas.

PS: Kelly, I will try it without the dust cover but this house is chronically dusty due to the cycling forced air heat. It was just a practical consideration. Jazman, the interconnect I've got from the TT to the phono stage is Kimber PBJ, not the best but pretty decent. I would imagine that 2003's upgrades will be improving all those.

Craig is correct in that the best input to use is the AUX as you mentioned. Just go ahead and run it into AUX A since the chance of you being able to fit the Aux A and Aux B interconnect barrels at the same time is almost nil. This is an upgrade I should have mentioned to Craig as it's necessary to run inputs next to each other: You need to modify the input plate and put some nice Tiffany or Cardas etc RCA females with appropriate distance so there will be room. As is, you cant put them all in due to space.

As for the dust cover, I just mean while you are playing the LP and wanting to hear the best from the rig. When NOT playing or in everyday listening, leaving it on is fine and surely recommended when idle.

I just noticed that the webmaster changed the setting on the site for Avatars, something unfortunate for those with cable access. You used to be able to click on the thumbnail and see the full size avatar pic. No more. I guess people were abusing it and putting huge shots in there for poor download times. Now there is no reason to be particular about the Avatar in large size since it is viewed as a compressed thumbnail both ways. Great for download speed. Stinks for informations and creativity.

kh