No Longer Looking: T4A Autoformers (pair)

mboxler

2 hours ago, RandyH001 said:

perfect option

Or is it...

As I understand it, Klipsch developed the AK-3 to correct a phase issue with the AK-2.  I assume the 5mh value was chosen so that it, in parallel with the inductance across taps 0-3 of a T4A, corrected the K-55M portion of that issue.

My 3636's measure around 19mh across taps 0-3.  This, in parallel with a 5mh inductor equates to almost 4mh across the K-55M.

I don't know the inductance across taps 0-3 on the T4A.  If it's 10mh, then the parallel inductance would be 3.3mh.

If the inductance across taps 0-3 on the T4A is around 10mh, then perhaps I should use a 4mh inductor across taps 0-3 of the 3636 to get to the same 3.3mh parallel inductance?

2 hours ago, Toz said:

"Phase issue"?

The mid level is 2db higher on the AK3 if I'm remembering right. 

Oct 1989: The AK-3 network was introduced to correct for a shift in the output of the K-55-M mid-range driver.

I assume that meant phase shift, but maybe not???

It's only 1 db higher, but the woofer capacitor and squawker inductor were changed as well.

I remember reading here at some point that the EV M driver didn't live up to the published efficiency that was used when designing the AK-2 network.   The result was a recessed midrange. I've used both networks in my K-horns. I prefer the AK-2 network with it's knocked back midrange. I also padded down the K77 slightly to better match the K55M. I did keep the 100uF on the K33. 

Personally, I think the AK-2 gets a bad rap due to people repeating what others say.  I will say that my experience with both networks is that there is not a night and day difference. Room acoustics and associated equipment may play an equal or greater role.

• Like 1

Comments regarding like drivers and networks are always all over the map. The list of variables for this runs off the page.

I have heard several stories from reputable people regarding the AK-2/AK-3 "issue". 

Notice that the only difference between the AK and AK-3 is the woofer capacitor value (100uF vs. 140uF). Other than that, the networks are identical.

• mboxler changed the title to No Longer Looking: T4A Autoformers (pair)