Replacement 8" woofers/drivers for KG4's ???

jjpoutwest

Hello Klipsch-ites!

My first post to what appears to be a very knowledgable and well-moderated group -

My problem is that one of my 1985 KG4 speakers has a noticable "raspy" output at certain frequencies when played at low levels. I don't recall when I started to notice this annoyance, but it's onset has probably been gradual. I finally tracked the sound to one of the 8" woofers (white poly cone). In that suspect woofer, I also noticed a slight scraping sound (and feel) when I manually push the cone in. I'd guess that the voice coil is somehow warped and is scraping against the magnet wall.

I'm also assuming that the woofer cannot be repaired, and the only cure is a woofer replacement(right?).

To the question - What would be the best recommended sources for a replacement woofer? Is there a certain model/manufacturer I should use? And what woofer characteristics are key to matching up with the rest of the speakers? (frame shape, impedance, magnet, cone material, etc?) I don't want to charge ahead and cram any old woofer in there.

Thanks in advance for any help provided.

The exact replacement (K-8-K) is no longer available. Klipsch sells a K-6-K for $80, as has been stated, as a replacement. I don't know about sonic differences. You might try getting a pair of the K-6-K's and replacing one in each KG-4, so at least each speaker would be identical. I don't know if this makes "sound" sense, though.

fini

Thanks guys. I will try calling Klipsch tech support. Also - I see some poly cone 8" speakers at MCM Electronics that might be worth a try. They are in the $20-$30 price range. I just wish someone had already tried them out in the KG4's.

BTW - I love my KG4's, which is why I would really rather repair that woofer and not consider getting rid of them in favor of new speakers.

Thanks again,

Jim

Not all poly cones are created equal so don't expect a $20 one to perform as well without some research. You would need to compare the specs of original K-8-K (or K-6-K) to those of the woofer you have found to determine if it will really work. Post the specs (like Fs, Vas, Qms, Qes, Xmax, etc.) on that MCM driver and maybe I can help...

Why not have the original driver reconed, (i.e. coil, spider & tinsels replaced) then you would have it restored to original specifications. Contact Simply Speakers in Florida they are a very competent speaker repair facility. They were able to recone my very rare DBX SW-3830 15" Subwoofer driver and return it to original specifications for about $67 total with shipping and everything. An 8" woofer would be much less I'm sure, give them a call or go visit their site online. 1.gif