Are the Klipsch Synergy series any good?

HTKnubbe

I was snooping around and realized Klipsch sells a "value" priced speaker system, the Synergy. I found the SF-2 floorstanding speakers for $459/pair and I saw a couple reviews, and they sound very nice. One even mentioned that he ran them w/o a subwoofer and they produced considerable bass. Now me, being a major Klipsch fan (Ever since my Promedia 2.1) would jump at a chance to get Klipsch HT speakers at a reasonable price. If they truly do sound really good (Close to theatre quality, my little Kenwood aren't very impressive) I might get them and pass on the subwoofer atm. I should probably go listen to them, but I don't know of any Klipsch HT retailers in my area. Anyone have/heard them?

Will they produce crisp, dramatic sound? I realize for the full effect I'll need the center and rear channels, and probably a sub for HT use, but as a start, how much of an improvement over my small bookshelf Kenwoods do you think they will be?

Brandon

Addition: Hrm, just noticed the search function, found out the answer to alot of my questions. Anyways, I see most say the Synergy sound good, but the Ref really just blow them away. My question now is: I found a Klipsch RFII/KSW12 package that comes w/ a pair of RF-3II, a pair of RS-3II, an RC-3II and a KSW 12" sub for $1,549. Bleh, I started asking for a $200 sub, now I'm up to $1,500. That is too expensive for me right now, but how good would that sound? My main disadvantage here is I have never heard Synergy nor Reference, I've only heard my little ProMedia 2.1s on my PC, which do sound fantastic. Do they give the real theatre experience, w/ deep thumping lows, and really crisp, highs, that just sound incredible? I guess what I'm saying is, can they compare to the cinema experience? I type too much...

I have a set consisting of SF-2 fronts, SF-1 rears, SC-1 center, and RSW-15 sub. The SF-2's should not be used without a sub in my opinion. Well, you can get by without it, but if you go from a sub to none with them it's like loosing a leg. A center channel speaker is required for HT use, since 99 percent of dialog in movies is played through it. The rear speakers you can do without, but they add alot to it as well. Personaly, I think the KSW line is kinda weak, they are boomy, not accurat, and all in all, just not a very good sub. The RSW line is about 20 times better. The RSW-10 would beat the KSW-15 any day (maybe not total output, but sound quality it would devestate it). I really like the way my SF-2's sound, however, I recently built a pair of bookshelfs that really blow them away. They cost about 420 to build, but I really like them alot. I encourage you to try the DIY route, you can build something alot better, for 3 times less (the average mark up is 3 times parts cost, so if you build a set of speakers costing 200 dollars for the pair and build them well, they should be competing with speakers like the SF-2's). If you are curious about building, I would be willing to offer some advice, and I know HBDRbuilder and MaxG would help out alot. they're both expert builders. Building is not only fun, but benifitial in that you get somehting better for way cheaper. If you can get really good at it, it's a skill you'll never regret obtaining.

HT, since you are somewhat troubled by the price of the RF packages, allow me to give some suggestions and comments:

1. The Synergy series speakers are good for the money - but you can do better, especially used. I would look for some used Klipsch Heresys to build your HT. You can find these on ebay, here on the Klipsch board, and other places that used audio is sold. They can be found used for as little as $350 per pair - and you could use 5 to 7 Heresys as HT speakers. The Heresys are very well made - even 15-30 year old models are worth the money, and last almost forever. Nice real wood cabinets, too.

2. Good HT requires good subbage. I am of the opinion that the HT is only as good as your subwoofers. If your subs stink (especially with good mains) they will stick out like a sore thumb. OTOH, good subs will almost not be noticeable - you'll have awesome bass that sounds like it is coming from your Heresys. Good subwoofers sonically "hide" themselves - if you close your eyes while listening, you'll not be able to hear where that subwoofer really is.

This is where the Synergy and the RF packages are weak - in that KSW sub. You want a better one, if possible. Look at the SVS and Klipsch RSW subs for starters (especially the SVS - the high performance value kings in subs).

3. Rome wasn't built in a day. If the budget is tight, do it a piece at a time. Your speakers are your most important audio purchase - taking the time to choose carefully will give uncommon results for more modest cost than you think. Many try to do it all at once, and end up with a system that falls short of expectations (which leads to upgrading - more money spent). With some prior research and patience, one can put a system together that sounds much more expensive than it is - especially with the help of this forum. This is a wonderful resource with lots of information contained herein - read it, obey it, and you'll enjoy the results for years to come.

4. Most of all, get out and listen to some gear. This will tell you a lot about what you really like. If possible, listen to some of the forum members' Klipsch setups if you can. Many of the systems represented on this board will outperform anything you can find in your local audio shop - for less money. And remember - used Klipsch is still good Klipsch - especially if they are from the Heritage line (Khorn, Belle, LaScala, Cornwall, Heresy - as well as the "relatives" - Chorus, Forte, and Quartet). These models will offer optimum bang for the buck, and may last longer than you do.

5. Finally, read the thread in the Home Theater section on this forum regarding timbre matching - posted by "HornEd". It is mandatory reading for one looking to build a home theater - following this article's advice is a great step to the home theater of your dreams - regardless of budget.

HTH, and good luck.

Thanks for the help, you offered excellent advice. I found an authorized Klipsch dealer within 10 miles from me, so I might go listen to some. I'm not sure I'm ready to build speakers atm, but possibly if I get curious enough about HT. I saw the prices for some Synergy series and the RF/RC/RS 3 series online, how much less are they than buying from a local place? I was actually quite surprised at how much they cost, I figured they would be close to 5 grand, and way way out of my price range. $1,500 is deffinetely doable, even if not at this very point in time. If I can manage it, I'll go listen to some today.

Brandon

Brandon - Several of the authorized Klipsch dealers have been clearing out KLF-10s for about $550/pair or less. These are very nice speakers, better than the Synergy series, and as good as the Reference series, but with a more "in your face" live sound, IMHO. You might want to give them a listen at the dealer you go to, if they have any.

DD

Well I e-mailed the local Klipsch dealer and asked about the RF-3 series and he quoted me these prices: RF-3II $684.99/pr, RC-3II is $289.99, RS-3II are $449.99/pr and the KSW-12 is $399.99. I realize the sub is probably not the best choice, but it gave me a rough idea at the cost of a Klipsch system. Does this sound reasonable? I'm going to listen to them tomarrow, hopefully they have both Ref and Synergy set up so I can compare. I may find the Synergy perfectly well suited to my tastes, or may not, don't know yet.

Brandon

Make sure to bring your own reference CDs/DVDs with you to listen to. The best thing to do is let your ear decide. Also, in case you do like the RF3 package, be sure to check out accousticsounddesign.com. They have very competitive prices, and honor the factory warranty. I think when I added up the prices you got, I came up with about $1825. That exact same package from Accoustic Sound Design is $1549 plus shipping. Happy hunting. 9.gif

Well, I went and listened to the Reference 3 line of speakers, and all I can say is: WOW. It was truly a movie theatre experience. They totally blew me away. The salesman put in The 6th Day as a demo, and man, it sounded great. The center channel is just awesome. He quoted me at about $2,200 for the whole system. Alot of cash, I'm still debating. But man, very very impressive.

Brandon

----------------

On 12/28/2002 8:41:07 PM HTKnubbe wrote:

Well, I went and listened to the Reference 3 line of speakers, and all I can say is: WOW. It was truly a movie theatre experience. They totally blew me away. The salesman put in The 6th Day as a demo, and man, it sounded great. The center channel is just awesome. He quoted me at about $2,200 for the whole system. Alot of cash, I'm still debating. But man, very very impressive.

Brandon

----------------

$2,200 for the Klipsch Reference Series 3 speakers? I got my Klipsch Reference Series 7 speakers (without a subwoofer) for $2,657 from an authorized Klipsch dealer!

Is he including a subwoofer in that price? If so, which one?

That included RF-3II, RC-3II, RS-3II and a RSW-10 sub. 689 for the RF3, 289 for the RC3, 449 for the RS3 and 899 for the RSW-10. I'm not sure if I'm going to go w/ such an expensive sub. I have also been thinking about going w/ the RF7 system instead. I would have to upgrade slower, but it may be worth it. While I would like to support my local dealer, and get them from a certified dealer, accousticsounddesign has the entire Ref 3 system w/ a KSW-12, I know not as good for 1500. Quite alot of savings.

Brandon