Cheap but good sounding processor recommendation

bobdog

I am considering setting up a surround set up in my family room /greatroom.  I pretty much have everything I need stored under the stairs but a processor.  I actually have a really nice high end preamp processor from the prologic/DTS days that I might live with BUT.  I have a dedicated theater room with what I think has endgame sound (Khorns Lascalla center, KPT 12 VB side surrounds and KPT1201 rear surrounds.  What I am thinking of is just a way to use things I haven't for a long time for an occasional movie without going going downstairs is what I want to do.  I have not shopped or even cared about equipment since I completed my main system and my bar game room system.  I really just need something that will decode DTS Master audio and Dolby whatever the uncompressed thing is. No Atmos No 13 15 35 channel or what ever the newest thing is. The speakers and amps I have are good and sound quality is important.  The ideal solution for me is a Parasound P7 preamp with my OPPO Bluray player doing the decoding work.  It is what I have found to be the best sounding solution in my main system after trying many high end pre/pros.  So. I want to spend less than what a used P7 would cost.  Does something simple but good sounding and relatively cheap exist these days?

Hello,

I have the outlaw audio 976.  It is a 7.2 processor that sounds great, was under $1000 new.   It's great because it doesn't have all of the old legacy connections on the back clogging everything up.  The only issue.... and it's a big one, is that the remote is a piece of trash.  The programming on it is incorrect, it's a widely known issue, but Outlaw did nothing to address it.  So, the fix, is to use a universal remote that operates all of your other equipment.

I have 2 units. I purchased one for my 2.2 system music only system as the DACs are incredible and another one for my home theater.  I will keep the one for my 2.2 music system, as I really don't use the remote for that.  However I am thinking about selling the other one I use for my home theater and returning to my Integra 9.8 processor(even though it's not 4K, but let's be honest, how much content is really out there in 4K for the average user?)

Highlights:

Between the pure analog 7.1 ch inputs, support for 4K and HDR, the Model 976 allows us to deliver a new, advanced product to those who want the benefits of the latest in HDMI (2017), but who are unable or unwilling to install an 11-channel speaker system

•Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, and Dolby Digital decoding; DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-HD High-Resolution Audio and DTS decoding

•Dolby Pro Logic IIx, Dolby Pro Logic II, and DTS NEO:6 processing

Here is the link:

https://outlawaudio.com/products/976.html

image.png.16fbf2db8ba996d4e36e8399b9cd6511.png

image.png.f56cb3aa1f7b9105b5dcad9ecb7449e2.png

New: Yamaha CX-A5200 

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/yamcxa5200bl-rb/yamaha-cx-a5200-11.2-channel-preamp/processor-w/dolby/1.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiAgP6PBhDmARIsAPWMq6lLVW1-l56sH_yr3ah7dt12eYKgSUTXzzbSxxMC5N0HrzOb2Z_Yh_AaAhDzEALw_wcB

Used: Integra DHC-80.3

No 4K or Atmos but nice DACs. I liked it so much I own two. Paid under $500 for the last one (maybe a lot less, don't rememver for sure).

That outlaw looks promising

On 2/6/2022 at 7:16 AM, Iteachstem said:

Hello,

I have the outlaw audio 976.  It is a 7.2 processor that sounds great, was under $1000 new.   It's great because it doesn't have all of the old legacy connections on the back clogging everything up.  The only issue.... and it's a big one, is that the remote is a piece of trash.  The programming on it is incorrect, it's a widely known issue, but Outlaw did nothing to address it.  So, the fix, is to use a universal remote that operates all of your other equipment.

I have 2 units. I purchased one for my 2.2 system music only system as the DACs are incredible and another one for my home theater.  I will keep the one for my 2.2 music system, as I really don't use the remote for that.  However I am thinking about selling the other one I use for my home theater and returning to my Integra 9.8 processor(even though it's not 4K, but let's be honest, how much content is really out there in 4K for the average user?)

Highlights:

Between the pure analog 7.1 ch inputs, support for 4K and HDR, the Model 976 allows us to deliver a new, advanced product to those who want the benefits of the latest in HDMI (2017), but who are unable or unwilling to install an 11-channel speaker system

•Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, and Dolby Digital decoding; DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-HD High-Resolution Audio and DTS decoding

•Dolby Pro Logic IIx, Dolby Pro Logic II, and DTS NEO:6 processing

Here is the link:

https://outlawaudio.com/products/976.html

image.png.16fbf2db8ba996d4e36e8399b9cd6511.png

image.png.f56cb3aa1f7b9105b5dcad9ecb7449e2.png

How much are you thinking about asking if you sell one?