ALK Universal crossover - midrange "taps" and phase?

Rolox

I would like to know if there's a way of knowing, when selecting midrange taps at the autoformer output, when the driver is in phase and when it is not?

For example, if I select the taps "X" and "4", which tap is + and which is -? 

It would help me time/phase aligning my tweeters if I would know when the mid driver is electrically in phase and when it is inverted...

thanks!

47 minutes ago, Rolox said:

I would like to know if there's a way of knowing, when selecting midrange taps at the autoformer output, when the driver is in phase and when it is not?

For example, if I select the taps "X" and "4", which tap is + and which is -? 

It would help me time/phase aligning my tweeters if I would know when the mid driver is electrically in phase and when it is inverted...

thanks!

This link of Tap values will help you on your quest 

http://www.alkeng.com/klipsch

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rolox said:

Thanks a lot! I used to have the attenuation values, but not the polarities 😉 

Just in case that document doesn't address your question directly...

An autoformer has no polarity.  

The taps on the 3619 are 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, X, and 0.  If you connect input + to tap 5, and input - to tap 0, then tap 4 will be + and tap X will be -. In fact, given that input configuration, the output tap closest to tap 5 will be +, and the output tap closest to tap 0 will be -.

Now, if you were to connect tap 4 to the driver - and tap X to the driver +, the polarity to the driver will be reversed.  Al does this with his Universal to help correct the phase shift created by the 2nd order low pass ahead of the autoformer. 

• Like 1

Hi all, I hate to barge in here but yours is the only active discussion re: ALK I could find. I've been trying to contact ALK for months to no avail. The phone doesn't answer, voicemail almost never works and the "contact via email" link is broke on the website. I'd really love to get on the list for a pair of his crossovers for my LaScala's. Does anyone have a working email address for ALK? Thanks.

On 2/12/2022 at 4:28 AM, TBez said:

Hi all, I hate to barge in here but yours is the only active discussion re: ALK I could find. I've been trying to contact ALK for months to no avail. The phone doesn't answer, voicemail almost never works and the "contact via email" link is broke on the website. I'd really love to get on the list for a pair of his crossovers for my LaScala's. Does anyone have a working email address for ALK? Thanks.

If you don’t have any communication- just have someone make them for you - and you choose the components you prefer and trust 

Just like this 

IMG_2675 (Medium).JPG

On 2/11/2022 at 1:28 PM, TBez said:

Al Klappenberger
ak@alkeng.com

He's always been very responsive by this email.

• 2 weeks later...

I was backlogged 23 orders, or 46 networks once, and after I got caught up I quit for two years. It's tedious work, and add in the constant stream of email -- it can be exhausting. 

I'm certainly appreciative of Al and the time he took to teach me. Yes, he can be a stubborn curmudgeon, but he's rather selfless, and has offered up tons of cool stuff for this community.

• Like 2