What oil for my Cornwalls

Vavoline

HDBR, thanks for the information. The boiled linseed oil is working wonders on my Cornwalls. I was planning on starting this process on my 2 weeks off, however my Dad passed away the day after I worked my last night. This kinda put every thing on hold. I have, however, in the last 6 days, applied 3 coats of oil in the manner which you suggested, and I am very impressed with the results. It has really brought out the grain of the wood. I think a couple of more coats and I'll be set. Then I plan to invert the speakers and start the process on the risers. When I started, the risers and the sides of the speaker cabinets looked the same, but after only 3 coats, the difference is amazing!

Thanks again for your "right on" advice.

Paul

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Question: Does all of the above advice on oiling apply if the Cornwalls are MDF substrate? IOW, is there any danger of the oil causing the glue to soften and separate the veneer from the MDF? The aim here is to properly oil up a rather dry pair of Klipsch Oil Oak veneer with MDF, and I don't want the veneer to peel. If I follow the instructions in this thread regarding oiling, are there any worries here because my Klipsch are MDF??

The same oil treatment was used at the factory...whether MDF substrate or anything else...admittedly there is always the possibility of problems with an MDF substrate...but if you have oiled veneer, then you don't have much other choice if you plan to keep it in proper shape! Just be a bit more careful around glue joints and the edges where the MDF shows when flooding the surface with the oil...before wiping it down!

• 1 month later...

This being my first post I decided to add my 2 cents in. After following hdbrbuilders advice I have to agree with him on the use of boiled linseed oil.

I own a pair of oiled walnut chorus I's and thought the finish actually looked pretty good. I have kept them rubbed down a couple times a month using old english. I cleaned the cabinets well using mineral spirits, let them dry for a day and then wiped down heavily with linseed oil using the polishing method he describes. I did this for 5 days in a row and let set for one week. Oiled them one last time and you wouldn't believe the beauty of the wood. they really look like new speakers. I plan to continue oiling them on a monthly basis. this is one method you guys really should try if you have an oiled finish on your speakers. Its cheap, relatively easy and the smell isn't too bad.

Dave