Wood LMAHL's

Dave A

Not everything I come up with gets shown here nor do I even make some of everything that has been designed. That is part of the discovery process and there are times when inspiration gets ahead of common sense and you guys never get to see the wasted hours spent fiddling around with ideas. Well I guess it is not really wasted but surely is not productive either.

In any case I have had Klipsch heads after me for some time to do various things like for instance a wood horn for La Scalas and KHorns. Another one is a wood LMAHL. I have held off on this because that .2" flange that gets recessed into the motorboard cutout is plenty for the plastic and aluminum flanges. For wood however my fear was the ability of wood to split out at the corners where the bevel head screws went for mounting. I could have just had drilled holes and a flat bottomed screw but I did not like how that looked when modeled. As in one of those things no one see's but me.

Now how you get somewhere may vary from person to person and for me sometimes odd things lead to inspiration. I have had a couple of people want horn with no engraving on them so I removed it and they looked pretty good and now wood ones are only cut this way. So I think what if I remove the screw holes and the engraving how would that look and what would I do for mounting?

For better or worse I did come up with something. My concern here is you can tell people not to tighten something down or they can split or ruin it.  What constitutes snug enough is a wildly variable amount depending on the person. Thinking of the few stripped screw holes I have had to deal with over the years of restoring Klipsch speakers and people with screw guns.

I think I came up with a way of doing it that is not fool proof but as good as the material used will allow for. First up is a front view.1945187137_woodlmahl1.thumb.JPG.eed1db0657a3ffda4a3d55257ec8b042.JPG

Second up is an assembly view to see how it looks without the motorboard.31032091_woodlmahl3.JPG.96af74eae984526c7671ac0fbb2c4ab2.JPG

Third is the assembly showing how it would clamp onto the motorboard. 998950792_woodlmahlassy2.thumb.JPG.6e2034d54731611b0b093885a5f7d1ed.JPG

• Like 3

2 hours ago, geezin' said:

Wingnuts and studs?

I had thought about that and decided against them. The reason is while wingnuts might be more convenient  the bolt and nut would allow to tension the bolt and then hold it in place while the serrated nut locks it down. To prevent loosening under vibration was my main reason to select the bolt and nut.

3 hours ago, No.4 said:

interesting solution. I like the clean look of no fasteners visible from the front of the horn. I am assuming the extra holes on the driver mounting plate are for the fasteners that join it to the wooden portion? 

Four of the holes are and the rest are for four different driver mounting screw patterns.

Dimensions are the diameter of the circle used to measure bolt patterns with.

3" with 5mm screw holes   or 76mm

3" with 1/4" screw holes   or 76mm

2.52" with 5mm screw holes   or 64mm

2.008" with 5mm screw holes   or 51mm

LMAHL V2 bottom view.JPG

3 hours ago, chassell said:

Interesting stuff Dave. Looking forward to seeing these.

Does this mean you are going to pay me a visit soon? I have a box of inputs and industrial handles and old style corners that needs to go to someone before I trash them. You work on old stuff far more than I do now.

8 minutes ago, Dave A said:

Does this mean you are going to pay me a visit soon? I have a box of inputs and industrial handles and old style corners that needs to go to someone before I trash them. You work on old stuff far more than I do now.

Yep, and definitely hang onto that box for me. I'm keeping my eye open for projects as time and $ allow. I'll shout at you.