money saving techniques?

prodj101

yes.. then to college where you'd have to store them for 4 years...

i dunno man...

i think you might wanna consider just going for RF-7s or some Paradigm Stuido 100's or some B&Ws in more of a 2k price range...

i just think thats overkill.

not that i wouldnt like to own one of the better speakers ever built but...

eh to each his own

lol, I'll use the RSW-15 with the B&W's IF it needs the bass. the rest of the synergy system will stay where it is thank you, lol. I dunno, the 7's aren't a big enough upgrade. I know they'd be way better, but I want something that I'll have to upgrade in 20 years, not a couple years. I don't think RF-7's would hold me for long enough, and they don't have the "audiophile" rank I'm looking for in my next set. plus they're not bizzare looking like B&W's.

You are 14 and you want to get $8,000 speakers? That is... IDIOTIC. Sorry, simple as that. You can "enjoy" them till college and there is NO WAY you should bring those with you. Then you graduate and want something new because they are now $4,000 speakers and the replacement is 10x's better because of this and that.

What model is this again?

So you will spend all your money on these speakers and then have no money prepared for your house, car, and taxes. why would you have a house when you get out of your current home? do you really expect to have enough money at 18 to afford a house, car and pay your taxes not to mention you will be going to school.

get in a dorm, don't really need a car your first 1-2 years, save your money!

I am lucky enough to have both of my cars paid off and i am joining a frat with a full sized room or i will be in a dorm. my sophomore year or junior year, depending on where i go for sure, i will have a house or apartment. but not my freshman year and maybe not ever, esp. if i join the frat.

why do you have 2 cars? and I'm getting them now for that reason. so I don't have to worry about buying them later on in life when I have bills to pay. and did I ever say I was taking them to college with me? nooooo! personaly, I don't see whats so wrong about it. I like audio (speakers by the way are B&W Nautilus 802's), I like to spend money on audio equipment. you might think RF-7's are enough, but not for me 11.gif .

well, why not SAVE the $8,000 and put it in a CD or some other investment with a guarenteed return. Say put it in there for 5 years and when you get out of college you now have say $9000 or more to spend on speakers that will be better and more like the times in looks and features.

why do I have two cars?

i had a Land Rover Range Rover that cost around $50,000 I think... been a while since we bought it. It had full insurance. It was totalled in a storm so we got the money it was worth at the time for a new car (not much less than it cost to begin with, only a year or so old). I got the Honda Accord because it was fuel efficient and nice and fun. Then i was kinda tired of the Honda and my friend had JUST gotten an Audi A4. So i got a new A4 also (which i regret just because my honda is nothing less than it). I still have money left over after this, not much but a few hundred or so. Now I plan to get rid of the Audi and Honda for a 2003 Honda Accord and have all that extra cash to have saved for a rainy day.

----------------

On 12/30/2002 3:11:25 AM prodj101 wrote:

I'm not trying to be offensive, but I think it's odd you can tell me how to spend my money, when you're 19 and have like 60 grand worth of cars on your own.
----------------

I am not telling you how to spend your money. Just giving advice.

Yes, I have a lot of money in these two cars, but like I said, I want to make it just one car and the money I have left over I want to keep to the side to save. That was the key to that post. Save money.

If you DO save up the $8,000, congrats! But I would not spend it right away especially if you won't get to enjoy it every single day you have it. I would put it somewhere safe so when you DO have a place where you can have these speakers w/o a room mate destroying them or whatever, that you will have more than $8,000 to spend on speakers that will without a doubt be better if that is possible.

That is what I am doing. I am making a "cheap" 2.1 setup for now, but once I get out of college I plan to make it 5.1. But right now it is MORE than what I need.

What BW's are they? Are they BW's?

BW's are more relaxed when it comes to sources. The silk dome tweeters don't show off flaws as well so if you have to skimp out on a receiver or whatever, not AS bad as with Klipsch. However, they seem to require much more power, so something like an Adcom or Rotel or Outlaw receiver may be the ticket.

heres a pic of them in black with grilles on. They have dual 8 inch paper-kevlar woofers, a 6 inch kevlar midrange, and a one inch metal dome tweeter. And yes, they are less revealing than klipsch as far as picking up problems in equipment since they are less efficient, but they are more revealing as far as music goes. bad recording = bad sound, good recording = good sound, unlike with speakers like my SF-2's where something has to be recorded terribly for it to sound noticably worse 9.gif . These speakers will be huge too, 154 pounds, 43 inches tall, 15 inches wide and 21 inches deep. I've used them several times and I'm gonna go back down to the high end sound place sometime this week and mess with them some more. maybe next in line will be a krell amp to run them with. I don't know if my Mcintosh amp could get them to 105 db like I like my music. well, not 105, but 100 I would like with ease. the speakers are rated up to 500 watts, so they can take alot of power.

post-10107-1381924592442_thumb.jpg

I think Justin is giving you some SOUND advice(pun intended)...maybe by the time you get out of college, and have the money from those CD investments, you will have learned something over the ensuing decade about just WHY certain speaker brands and models only remain in production for a very few years while other brands/models remain in production for decades...and upon graduating from college, can make wiser use of your money in that respect. Glitz and glitter do nothing to add to listening enjoyment...styles change over time, but certain things remain "classic" throughout all of this...and tend to have withstood the test of time in the process!

If I were you I would save as much as I can! At 14 I don't think you realize how expensive the world is. I just bought a house and I did not even realize how expensive it is. There is always something to buy and there is always a bill to pay. I even got rid of my cell phone so I could pay bills on the house. I paid 10% down on my house and that is because my parents made me save every penny I had when I was younger. They put all the birthday money and all the christmas money and all the money just because into an account for me and then put a lock on it so I could not spend it. Needless to say all that money over the years added up to around $10,000. That was nice to use some of that to buy a house. Payments are lower and I got to get a conventional home loan. (I got a nice interest rate too) So my advice is to save you money! College is very expensive! Books are usually 500 plus every semester and then there is tuition and everything else you want. You can still buy a decent system without spending $8000. No offence, but that is a waste of money....especially for a 14 year old. That is not to wise of you and I don't think it would be a very good decision. I am 23 and out of school and I remember being in your shoes. You think you know it all, but when it comes down to it, the decisions you make now will affect you the rest of your life. So make them wisely! Money doesn't grow on trees, but has to be earned and sometimes earned hard. So save your money and spend it wisely! Get something decent, but don't blow it all.

RJB

Better plan on another $8K for an amplifier, I have heard the B&Ws and while they are a wonderful loudspeaker when properly driven with a horsepower amplifier, they do have a wild impedance curve and need the pulling power of Clydesdales. IMO you can do better with small Heritage speakers and a low cost integrated tube amplifier now and for college. Besides, with that kind of money, why go for hard-to-drive cones, when you can get gorgeous life-like Avantgarde Acoustics horns? Buy the smaller rear models now and add the large front ones when you get out of school.16.gif

Well put, rjb294. I am so broke right now, I can't even pay attention !15.gif But , I pay myself first. Every month, I put away money into an investment - it comes out of my account automatically. Right now, it is going into a 2 year term redeemable gic. The rates aren't that great, especially when you are talking small amounts < $10,000, although it sure beats what a savings account pays in interest. To do this, it sure takes discipline. I don't wan't to rely solely on old-age pension and the canada pension plan when I am ready to retire. I am looking ahead. Furthermore, you will get better rates for bank loans if you have an investment. ( Here in Canada anyways )