Side grills

Jim Cornell

Will some one somehow help me get Black side grills for my Klipschorns!

I need all 4, now that i have the tops done, i really want to finish these with side grills!

Late next month im willing to pay a great price, im talking 3-$400.00, or if i can get some one to make me some that would work as well, let me know PLEASE!

Regards Jim9.gif

Jim...you know anybody close by with a pair of k-horns with the side grilles attached? If so...take a piece of butcher paper over and do a rubbing of the back side of em...then go get a sheet of 3/8" baltic birch plywood...make your own side grilles out of it using the butcher paper rubbing as a pattern. Cut out the triangular shaped pieces of wood from some scrap 3/4 inch plywood, and get some angle brackets at Home Depot...paint all the wood parts black, cover the grilles with cloth, and mount em up! A real no-brainer.

You are gonna have a problem with the top end though...it is NOT the same on YOUR k-horns as on the ones with what you are calling side grilles on them...completely different design there. The grilles on the standard ones up top are a piece of plywood with two pieces of 2X4 nailed to each end...holes for the tweeter and midrange in plywood piece, and whole thing covered in grille cloth. Yours are just a flat panel running all the way across...in order to make the change, you gotta re-do the whole front panel area up top.

Andy hello buddy

I got a scarf for Christmas, used the material to cover the top sections, right over the flat all the way up surface, then i used small molding around the top, and around the sides, closing it in!

Not to bad not at all, they look like the genuine K-horns up top, what i want is to get rid of the drop outs on the bass bins, looks kinda silly!

I guess these are still my own custom set! Oh well, ill know there mine!

There are some nails still in these with small fabric behind them, i think some one did strip these of their grilles!

Im not sure if the top grills come off, if they dont, it looks like they just ripped the material off!

I also have a nice piece of molding between the top and bottoms, and i also placed a foot molding on the bottom fronts!

Regards Jim

Hey jim i'm back !!

been bouncing around computers for the last 2 weeks during the silly season. Not to mention the problems i've been having with my e-mail account. But i'm back at work now and checking up on you guys daily.

I am still willing to make you a pair of side covers jim ,

Just getting a few projects completed for some other guys right now. ( Too much to do , not enough hands or time )

One question i did have for you , do your k-horns have a top board on the top end of the bottom bin ? Or in other words a bottom board to the headsection. The reason i ask is , this is were the side covers end. If you could swing me a picture of the sides and some measurements i'll figure the rest out. I'm thinking your bottom bin should be the same size as my 1987's . But i would like to be sure before i start cutting.

A little note on k-horn side-grilles for the bass bins: These things HAD to be the most hated part of any of the speakers from the time the panels initially left the table saw until the grilles were completed...believe it or not!!

First of all was the routing process for the panels...the holes to be cut out were no big deal, but because the bottom outside edge for baseboard moulding cut-out was ALSO routed out on the overhead pin router...while in the same router form, it made it a DANGEROUS task...and required STRICT attention...no telling how many of these panels got grabbed by the bit when this part was being routed, and slung the whole shebang through the air headed for the Belle builders!! LOL! Most often with a "newbie" at the helm of the router!!...who was wetting his pants because of how close his hands had gotten to being routed off!! Needless to say...the Belle builders were sweating bullets whenever they saw a newbie go grab up the router form for these...and they spent lots of time watching the routing out of the corner of their eyes...slowing down their Belle production!! LOL!

Then came the assembly of the triangular pieces to those panels...which was a pain, because the assembly jig was a POS.

Then came the painting process...which was to dip each assembly into a 55-gallon drum of diluted flat black laquer out back and then hang em to dry...helluva mess!! NO WAY to keep from gettin covered in paint!! ESPECIALLY if there was any breeze involved!!

Next came the process of attaching the grille cloth to them...and because of those oddball shaped molding reliefs, and the fact you had to work the edges around where the triangular pieces were mounted to the panels...while still keeping the cloth straight and taut...nobody looked forward to that task either!!

IOW these things were just a royal pain in the arse, and took lots of time and care to make!! And EVERYBODY ran when they knew the task was coming up again!! LOL!

YES ANDY I CAN RELATE !!!

My wood working shop "NOW" contians a metal detector.

I dont think i need to tell "you" about how scary it is running a huge slab of solid threw a 3 phase direct drive table saw and hitting a "SPIKE ". @#*@ tree hugers dont realize whos life there putting in danger.

I got a few stiches in my face but it could have cost me my life or my sight.Believe me eye protection is of little help when blades start flying apart.

Yeah, Dale...been there...done that too!! BTW, that grille router form had a 1/8" thick sheet steel bottom panel to it...made for some SERIOUS hopping and ducking whenever it flew towards the Belle builders!! LOL! The ONLY time the Belle builders were relaxed about it was when I WAS THE ONE routing those panels...also maybe the reason they normally pulled me off building to do it!! LOL! LUCKY ME, HUH?!?!?! After awhile the Belle builders got EARLY WARNING of those panels being routed first thing before work...and they took culled k-horn bass-bin front panels and made a protective wall between them and the router...LOL!...but they STILL kept their eyes peeled!!

I musta had a zillion router bit edges literally explode outta the bits in pieces when routing 3/4" baltic birch panels...was VERY lucky over the years...bit edge pieces slung from bit going over 5,000 rpm don't slow down much going through safety glasses!!