Klipsch Indy

Wizard of OBV

While I was at the Klipsch HQ in Indy picking up a pair of Cornwalls that I purchased from Steve P., Charlie offered to tour us through the R&D section there. It was a lot of fun! Got to go into the large anechoic chamber, very strange with no echo or reverb to your voice, almost uncomfortable! Saw the stereo lithography setup producing a trial component and the laser inferometer that they use to measure speaker cone travel to check for resonances or flat spots. Very informative! Hats off to Steve and Charlie for the hospitality!

Wiz

Enjoy the Cornwalls...I do every day! 1.gif

Sounds like you had a great time! Way back in '81, I was given the grand tour through the Coors brewry in Golden, CO, in '83 I toured the Mercedes-Benz plant in Stuttgart 4.gif, and in '85 I experienced the tour through the Heineken brewry in Amsterdam!

Notice a trend there? 14.gif

And I still didn't get to test drive a 190E, but at least I got free samples of some of the greatest brews on earth! 3.gif It's a good thing I never got to tour the Hope plant, or the local police would've hauled me away screaming for new Khorns to take home! 7.gif

JT1stcav,

If you are in the neighborhood of Spartanburg, SC...do a tour of the BMW plant there...really well worth the stop...especially their mini-museum on-site...not to mention the refreshment stand in there! Hint! Hint! Spartanburg is their worldwide plant for their SUV and the M-3 roadster...pretty interesting to see how they are assembled! Rumor has it they will be adding-on to the facility there with another plant on the grounds...possibly for an upcoming re-engined(completely NEW engine design) and face-lifted BMW KLT motorcycle(perfectly logical since the largest market for that particular model is in North America to begin with!).

HDBRbuilder, I would love nothing better than to get away from Florida for awhile, take a 4 day weekend, and visit the BMW plant in Spartanburg. I remember driving on the autobahn in a friend's '84 Saab 900S Turbo right past the BMW plant there in the old country, but I can't recall the region.

While stationed in Ludwigsburg with the 51st Signal Bn., another ol' Army bud of mine owned a really clean 1976 BMW 2002 in fire engine neon yellow (golf, in Germany). It had the smoothest 4 speed tranny and clutch of any old car I had ever driven (it was 7 years old, after all), and it still handled like "the ultimate driving machine" that it was! And it would haul *** when reved up and go around corners on two wheels, hugging the cobblestone roads all the way! Driving that BMW was the closest thing to sex! A year later he sold it to another GI from Robbinson Barracks in Stuttgart right before transfering back to the states...I never saw the 2002 again, and I still miss that car today! 15.gif

jtkinney,

Thanks for that tid-bit of advice...if you've read my other posts recently, you'd know I love Jack (not that way, please) and coke (sippin' on a tall glass right now; I still haven't recovered from 1/1/03). It's been 3 years since I was in TN (passin' through)...the next time I'm up that way (hopefully soon), I'll stop by for the tour and tell 'em you said "HI". 3.gif

• 3 years later...

Chris,

HDBRBuilder is deployed in the middle east right now. He does visit the forum from time to time still, but the best way to contact him would probably be through e-mail or a private message. Hopefully he has updated his profile so these methods would yield a ping for him.