heritage unavailable

jdm56

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JimG:

As Ray warned, you're gonna have to answer some questions now. However, since you seem to know quite a bit about the RF-7, I shall limit my questions to it.

First of all, what is the expected efficiency? Second of all, how stable/unstable will the impedance be? Bi-wirable, I assume? What will be the crossover points? How do I sign up for a free pair? When will they be available at Stereo West in Omaha, Nebraska for auditioning?

Thanks for your kind attention to these questions.

------------------

May the bridges we burn light our way....

Prana-Bindu,

Courtesy of, uh, well I could tell you but then I'd have to shoot you...

FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 32Hz-20kHz±3dB

SENSITIVITY: 102dB @ 1watt/1meter

POWER HANDLING: 250 watts maximum continuous (1000 watts peak)

NOMINAL IMPEDANCE: 8 ohms

ENCLOSURE TYPE: Bass reflex via dual rear-mounted ports

DRIVE COMPONENTS: Two-way system using one 1.75" (4.45cm) magnetically shielded, titanium dome compression driver tweeter with a 8" (20.32cm) square 90°x60° Tractrix® Horn and two 10" (25.4cm) magnetically shielded, aluminum cone woofers

TWEETER: K-67-DV 1.75" (4.45cm) Titanium dome compression driver

HIGH FREQUENCY: 8" square 90°x60° Tractrix® Horn

HIGH FREQUENCY CROSSOVER: 2200Hz

WOOFER: Two K-1089-AV 10" (25.4cm) Cerametallic® cone / cast aluminum frame

DIMENSIONS: 45" (115cm) x 11.6" (29.7cm) x 16" (41cm)

WEIGHT: 90 lbs. (40.8kg)

ENCLOSURE MATERIAL: Medium density fiberboard construction (MDF)

FINISHES: Cherry, Maple, Black wood veneer

Ray

Guest BobG

Ray, Ray, Ray...

Ya give a guy some privileges and what does he do? Posts info not available to the masses. Guess we may have to have you whacked.

Jubilee Tour? Wow, that dealer knows more than anybody here at Klipsch. Must be making it up as he goes along.

In the absence of information, rumor is King. Please be patient just a bit longer and you'll all have a chance to audition the new Reference models at your nearest supporting Klipsch dealer. I know it isn't easy, but hang on.

well yea your dealers may be trying to tell u something - they don't have the resources to permanently stock jubes or even Khorns.

so a trunk show like tour may be a great idea - khorns on wheels baby!

i could dig some wine/bud & cheese while grooving to the sounds of the horns.

get out the marketing checkbook biggrin.gif

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front), KLF C-7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnect & Monster S-12 cable

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Sony DVP-C650D cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Technics direct drive turntable

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

2nd room:

Klipsch RF-3 (front), RC-3, cheap little Technics (rear)

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage '75)

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd player

Sega Genesis game player

Sub: None yet

rock on!

oops.

I didn't realize the specs I posted were not released publicly. That being the case, I'd advise not taking them as gospel because the specs are subject to change up till Klipsch thinks they've got the levels of performance they demand from this product.

Sorry 'bout that.

I gotta say I really get a kick out of this chit-chat about the jubilee and the new Reference Series. especially that "King Tut" reference. 'Bout lost my Big Red on that one. But then again, I have no life. smile.gif

I too, am looking forward to hearing/seeing/smelling/touching some of the soon to be released Reference speakers. They do indeed look promising; and yes, make that "in the klipsch tradition".

Uh, sorry if I touched a nerve, Jim. I'm still a klipsch fan, so let me try to 'splain: What I was really getting at was, I suppose when it comes down to it, is actually the difference in a small, entepeneurial operation (Klipsch' early days), and a large, global operation with hundreds of employees that has to make a certain amount of profit (Klipsch today). I guess the thing I was alluding to, as far as a company being engineering driven or marketing driven, is the tendency for most large speaker companies to introduce new products with much fanfare, at relatively frequent intervals, as being the best/lowest distortion/most accurate, blah, blah, blah ever, only to disappear from the marketplace in a few years...just in time for the next "greatest speakers on earth" to be announced.

OK. I'm a big boy. I know companies have to move product. And perhaps it is not in most audio manufacturers best interest to "evolve" models indefinitely, BUT...that is at least partly why you have the enthusiasm on this BB that you do. That sense of continuity and "heritage", which is a distinct part of the appeal of the classic PWK designs. This, as opposed to "me too, here today / gone tomorrow" design and marketing.

Oh well, I hope the new Reference Series is a smashing success and makes Klipsch lots of money. And that it'll still be around come 2011. At least.

------------------

JDMcCall

Guest JimG

James,

No offense taken. I understand what you mean. In a way, RF-7 is just evolved from earlier models. It is basically upgraded / born from technology previously used. The new 8" horn is an evolution. It has a new throat design incorporating things we learned thru R&D. The new woofers are an evolution and incorporate things we learned from R&D. The cabinets are better, the networks are better, etc. It all comes about by learning from our successes and mistakes and by incorporating new knowledge in with core technology. I think we tend to be more of a evolutionary company rather than a revolutionary company. We still feel very strongly about the soundness (no pun intended) of the core technologies developed by PWK and still use them in our products today. We certainly feel that these new models are some of the best we have ever built, but that's because we know more today than we did yesterday. The same will be true tomorrow. The fact that the basic technology is sound is apparent from the sheer number of old products out there that people still think are comparable to anything new. I have to tell you though, this new group of stuff rocks! Just please continue to be patient...only a few more weeks until you'll be able to hear them all (except for subs...they're running further behind - the project was started later - they'll be worth the wait too!)

Jim

jim so which speakers have the mistakes & what are they? biggrin.gif

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front), KLF C-7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnects & Monster MCX Biwire/Bananas

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Sony DVP-C650D cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

2nd room:

Klipsch RF-3 (front), RC-3, cheap little Technics (rear)

Monster MCX Biwires/Bananas

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (power amp for RF-3)

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd player

Technics direct drive turntable

Sega Genesis game player

Sub: None yet

rock on!

No wonder I was told to wait until "July" for my La Scalas and ordered them in March...UGH...I thought the dog team might have made a left instead of right at the ole Igloo Inn.

As for the sub good enough for the Khorns\Belle\Scala

I would recommend http://www.bagend.com or http://www.sunfire.com (recommended from other members who are horn owners).

Have a look at there 18" subs(bagend), impressive, the D18E-I, Infra18, or S18E-I. You may need a forklift for the D18E-I though.

Khorns (93)

LaScalas(01????...sometime soon I hope)

C7(Herseys for 6.1 future).

Adcom AC-515 Enhancer

Marantz SR18EX A/V Receiver

2-Marantz MA700 mono blocks amps(Khorns)

Marantz DV3100 DVD

Marantz CD4050 tape

Marantz DR4160 (3 disk carousel with single tray CDR)

Marantz MV5100 S-VHS hifi

Toshiba 50HX70 HDTV

DVDO iscan line doubler

This message has been edited by boomer9911 on 05-12-2001 at 01:35 AM