UPS woes

JCturboT

----------------

On 1/4/2003 11:56:49 PM Jim Cornell wrote:

Jeff you might be better off canceling the E-bay auction on your cornwalls, avoid anymore of this!

Regards Jim----------------

Jim,

The thought had entered my mind but I have several e-mails that want to pick them up in person if they're high bidder.Hopefully that will be the case.

Jeff

Some time ago I posted a couple things about shipping amps as a former UPS employee and present FedEx employee:

Hey guys, on those horror stories about the Brown Army, aka UPS, happen all the time. They get a lot more deliveries correct, and because of the sheer volume they handle, there are bound to be mistakes made and packages damaged. I worked for UPS from 76-81. Now I work for FedEx Express, so I can give some recommondations for your shipping needs. The main thing you need to know, especially if you'll be shipping fragile and heavy vintage amps, is that they are far more likely to get damaged if sent via ground, whether UPS or FedEx Ground. The reason is that ground shipments tend to be heavier than express shipments, so there are more other heavy boxes going down conveyor belts at high speeds. If a jam occurs, your fragile amp gets beat up by these other boxes. Then they get loaded on to trailers where supervisors are yelling at loaders to achieve maximum packages/hour. Though they "salt" the load (try and feed a missort to the loader to see if the loader will catch it), they encourage speed. So what is typically done in a trailer is every several feet a "$hit wall" is nicely built, with many other boxes just thrown between these $hit walls. At FedEx Express, all cartons are hand stacked in aircraft containers. Since space is at a premium, each box is placed. Now all this doesn't mean that FedEx doen't damage anything, of course they do. But statistically, a lot less. FedEx also assumes each package requires a signature to deliver, so most are not left unless the recipient has a signature release on file, or if the shipper has a release. Everyone makes mistakes now and then, and I too have been guilty of spacing out and leaving packages on the wrong street. If we get a call asking about that, they do ask the driver to check it out the next day. Now you do pay more for this, but it may be worth it in the long run. Use Express Saver for economy. It's a 3 day service, and it's the cheapest of their services. As to online shipping, once you open an account you can ship off the web page. It will print your airbills and even schedule a pickup if you want. It will also automatically email your recipients that a package has been sent to them, and notify you via email when your shipment is delivered. Whatever way you send your packages, include a copy of the shipping label inside. Many labels are torn off or made illegible when stuck on a conveyor belt label down. They end up in overgoods if they cannot be identified. (Hmmm...maybe I can get something there...)

Sorry for sounding like a commercial, but consider this more inside info.

BTW, if you open an account and ship off the web page, there is a 10% discount. You also save 3 bucks per pkg by dropping off.

------------------

BTW Craig, nice web page! I presume that was Mobile's work? Nice job Mobile!

----------------

On 1/4/2003 6:13:53 PM Hofy wrote:

Oh Happy Happy Joy Joy.
7.gif
I have an amp that ends tomorrow on eBay and both the Post Office and UPS are on my sh!t list. And no FedEx shipoper around here that I know of. Thankfully the amp does have the original box and packing which is one of UPS's requirements.
----------------

You don't need a FedEx shipper. You can call for a pickup or drop it off...there should be a center somewhere near you. Check fedex.com

Mdeneen has given some very good packing tips above. If everyone packaged this well we would all see less damaged packages! I bought my Scott from Soundbug, an eBay seller and it was packaged very well...a box within a box. I shipped it to Craig in Ohio, from there it went to Ryan in Pa, then back to me on the Left Coast in the same packaging (via Fedex) with no problems at all.

I had an Electro-Voice 12TRX dropped so hard by UPS that the magnet broke off the frame, leaving the basket still screwed to the plywood. I also had a Heresy so abused that the SP-12b - which is not all that heavy of a driver - pulled its screws all the way though the plywood on the motorboard, actually splintering the plywood in the process.

But my favorite UPS story came when I was ordering 35mm film prints for the college auditorium where I used to work. We insured the film - which usually comes in two metal cans weighing 50 lbs or so - for $600, the replacement cost of a movie. Somewhere between the Disney studios and the college, UPS lost one of the film cans. Their attitude was, "We only lost half of it, we're only going to pay for half of it." Disney felt otherwise, as there is painfully little market for reels 4, 5, and 6 without reels 1, 2, and 3. We finally had to make up the difference ourselves, and after that doubled up on the insurance. It paid off a couple of times too.

The same thing applies to speakers. I bought a pair of bookshelf speakers in Boston and shipped them home through a packing agency. They were both smashed up pretty good in transit, so UPS eventually came by to pick them up. Then they lost one. Since they only had one to look at, they only allowed for damages to one. It was a long time - nine months - before things got ironed out.

7.gif

I had an Electro-Voice 12TRX dropped so hard by UPS that the magnet broke off the frame, leaving the basket still screwed to the plywood. I also had a Heresy so abused that the SP-12b - which is not all that heavy of a driver - pulled its screws all the way though the plywood on the motorboard, actually splintering the plywood in the process.

But my favorite UPS story came when I was ordering 35mm film prints for the college auditorium where I used to work. We insured the film - which usually comes in two metal cans weighing 50 lbs or so - for $600, the replacement cost of a movie. Somewhere between the Disney studios and the college, UPS lost one of the film cans. Their attitude was, "We only lost half of it, we're only going to pay for half of it." Disney felt otherwise, as there is painfully little market for reels 4, 5, and 6 without reels 1, 2, and 3. We finally had to make up the difference ourselves, and after that doubled up on the insurance. It paid off a couple of times too.

The same thing applies to speakers. I bought a pair of bookshelf speakers in Boston and shipped them home through a packing agency. They were both smashed up pretty good in transit, so UPS eventually came by to pick them up. Then they lost one. Since they only had one to look at, they only allowed for damages to one. It was a long time - nine months - before things got ironed out.

7.gif