in-ceiling speakers for car audio?

DrWho

hey, i was wondering if any of y'all out there might be able to provide any insight or ideas concerning using the klipsch in-ceiling speakers inside a car. here's some questions i have:

1) if i built boxes for the speakers to mount them on my dashboard, would they need to be ported to maintain the frequency response? (like how exactly does the infinite baffel thing work?)

2) would i need to buy the installation kits?

3) would they be "aimed" correctly?

4) would weather conditions be an issue? i live near chicago which means weather hits all the extremes.

5) any1 know how good they sound?

well that's all for now, im sure to have more questions later...i just wanted to get some imput before i go out and buy speakers and then have them not work.

----------------

On 1/4/2003 6:53:37 PM prodj101 wrote:

it doesn't say anything about temp levels in the specs.
----------------

I should have been more clear. You need to look at the optimal operation temperatures in the specs. If it is not listed then call klipsch because there is a temperature. They are not made to withstand 140* temperatures. Here in Texas 140*F is EASILY approached in the summer months, and exceeded.

i looked into the in-wall speakers but they seemed too large? what i really need is to find someone to let me try mounting them in my car and if it doesn't work to let me return them...y'all suppose tweeter would do that? (do they even carry the in-wall/in-ceiling line? the website doesn't)

i don't think excessive heat will be as big a factor as the lower temperatures in the winter because i park outside.

the bigger issue im worried about though is encasing the speakers...obviously they are designed to be mounted in a wall or ceiling. do they recquire that installation kit thing or can they just be attached to a speaker box like any other speaker?

I have often wondered why Klipsch has not gotten into car audio.

I am going to toss this out there for what it is worth... I would not take the risk of using a NON car speaker in a car. Seems like you would be trying to force a squar peg into a round hole if you as me.

well since im in my car more often than im at home, i guess you could consider my car to be my home...and thus it makes sense to put home audio in my car 2.gif but seriously, i think it's worth the risk...i was just hoping to hopefully get some helpful feedback from others in the klipsch world. guess i'll just give it a go and let y'all know how it turns out 9.gif

oh btw, i also thought about putting the promedia speakers or even the quintets, but i'm leaning towards the in-wall/in-cieling stuff cause of the lower frequency response...(hoping i won't need a sub, cause as far as im concerned subs in a car are just noise makers, but that's a diff topic).

what ya think justin? i know you got like hundreds of promedia speakers, you think they would sound good in a car? (also, would it be too dificult to skip over the amp in the PM bass thing and power it's sub with a different amp. i don't have wall outlets in my car, nor a 120v power source) well while im at it, any1 know if the promedias drop the voltage to like around 12V inside the amp thing? i know all my pc speakers at home all use an external ac adapter thing and it puts out 12V for the speakers to use. cause if the promedias do this on the inside, then i might possibly be able to use the amps in em.

i have some pro-audio speakers (the KP-2002) which is basically a 15" woofer with a big 'ol horn that i connected inside my parents mini-van...the band was doing a gig far away and it was a long drive...since the van don't have a cd player, i hooked up an amp to the cigarrete lighter and powered these bad boys with it :D so ya, all that to say i know klipsch sounds awesome in cars (bummer i didn't have more power for em though). ya, i thought about that when u mentioned putting some khorns in the back ;) once i get outta college i plan on putting together a car thing where the sides fold out to create a stage and have all the cool stuff (like speakers) ready to go and powered by 120V...i saw this done in germany for the love parade, DJ's would just pull up, unfold, and it goes from there 10.gif

sorry for the long post, i tend to get giddy when i think about klipsch in my car, cause it'd just be so cool (or so i hope). 9.gif

any suggestions on any particular models? i've listened to hundreds (well maybe just under a dozen) of "car-audio" speakers and they just don't cut it for me...i guess im a bit biased about speakers being horn loaded. great idea, i'll make my own speakers 2.gif

would i be able to buy "replacement" stuff from klipsch and just build them into my own boxes?

dang it klipsch, come out with a car-audio line! 7.gif i mean come on, they even got dvd's and stuff like that in cars now...