KLF-20 With Shrill K-52 Midhorn

Hamilton

Been working on getting these new to me KLF-20s restored.  Crites crossover rebuild, titanium tweeters and reinforced the cabinets!  Been listening to them and one of my mid horns gets really shrill and noisey which is really apparent with hard rock guitar riffs.

I took the horn apart to inspect it for any dust or foreign objects of which there were none.  Reassembled it and made sure all was tight but still the issue remains so guessing I'm in need of a new poly diaphragm?  There a sonic issue just buying one?  Was kind of expecting to see something to indicate it was damaged/ripped/dinged but looked perfectly fine!   

4 minutes ago, Hamilton said:

Been working on getting these new to me KLF-20s restored.  Crites crossover rebuild, titanium tweeters and reinforced the cabinets!  Been listening to them and one of my mid horns gets really shrill and noisey which is really apparent with hard rock guitar riffs.

I took the horn apart to inspect it for any dust or foreign objects of which there were none.  Reassembled it and made sure all was tight but still the issue remains so guessing I'm in need of a new poly diaphragm?  There a sonic issue just buying one?  Was kind of expecting to see something to indicate it was damaged/ripped/dinged but looked perfectly fine!   

did you isolate the issue to the speaker? easiest way is to just swap them see if the issue stays on the same side or follows the speaker

1 minute ago, jjptkd said:

did you isolate the issue to the speaker? easiest way is to just swap them see if the issue stays on the same side or follows the speaker

Was thinking of doing that next, I figured since the crossovers just got back from Crites this week that part of the equation could be ruled out but of course weirder things happen.  Will give this a go this week.  

16 hours ago, Hamilton said:

also check the ohm reading of the one with the noise compared to the other one, they should be within a couple 10ths of each other.  shouldnt be too much if any of a sonic difference buying a single replacement but is a good idea to replace both at the same time, then keep the good one as a backup. 

Discovered the issue after swapping the horn into the other speaker and getting the same issue.  Figure take it apart one more time see if there was something loose debris wise that I missed and the glue is separating from half of the cone of the diaphragm.  Its not ripped or anything so question is can you glue these like you would a dustcap on a woofer (don't know how to do that either just saw that its possible)?

20220717_195651.jpg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, geoff. said:

...my OCD wouldn’t allow me to do that.

A dust cap, no problem, but coils and cones are OEM or bust, lol.

Well diaphragms are on backorder currently and decided to just pull the midhorn out for the time being so.... what could it hurt?  Just don't want to try if it is proven certainly not possible.  

Just an update I had emailed Simplyspeaker.com a recommended adhesive for this type of material as there are numerous types, they said that CA glue (super glue) would work best.  Did my best to get all around the detatched area of the voice coil suspened over a jar with some pressure from a glass on top and voila!  Success!  Sounds great!!!!  

• Like 4