Jolida 302b or ASL aq1003dt

shoe11

Ok, I've done my homework and now I'm down to either of the two models above. They are fairly comparable in price and both use EL-34 tubes. Presently I'm leaning towards the Jolida. I plan to have the Svetlana EL-34's installed if I get it. I also understand that there are additional tweaks(input tubes, PS) that will improve it's performance. I've read that a number of these are available from Jolida directly should I purchase a new one. I'd appreciate any comments on either of these models and if someone could elaborate on what additional 302b tweaks I should consider.

~shoe

I had a Jolida 302b here in house for half a year and two friends own them as well (including an old girlfriend who STILL loves hers). I think there are better amps out there but looking at that ad, I would say it's a VERY fair deal, just as Edmond and Craig said. If going for those two, I would take that ad.

Of course, I personally dont think ASL or Jolida are quite up to the refined nature of other amps, especially the better vintage offerings. But that one is a good deal. The oil caps and better rectifier stage will go a long way to helping the amp as well as good NOS in the input/driver stage. The only thing I might add is a better volume pot and a defeat/bypass of the mediocre balance on that model. OTherwise, it looks very good.

kh

Well I've spent a great deal of time over the last several days educating myself on tube amplification. From reading extensively on audiogon, audioasylum, tnt-audio, the klipsch archive, etc I'm pretty much up to speed on the basics. I had reviewed the used Jolidas on audiogon, and ebay so I have already seen that listing, but that one is already sold. I'm also aware of the vintage choices and noticed one or two Scott 222c's for auction. My primary reason for planning to buy new is lack of experience when working with tubes. If I bought vintage, I wouldn't have much of a clue as to whether or not what I bought was fundamentally sound, nor am I familiar with anyone who could actually clean one up for me should it be necessary.

This will be my first tube amp purchase. I'm very much interested to experience the sound which everyone raves about. My selection of the 302b and the ALS comes from my review of tons of postings/reviews which gave each very good marks and also that I have a dealer nearby who carries both lines so I have the ability to listen to both. Apparently they also offer customized versions of each line.

A few quick questions:

1) From what I have read most people it seems prefer the sound from the EL34 as compared to the KT88 tubes. I know to each his own, but I'm curious as to opinions from people here on this topic.

2) Though the RF-7's are for the most part full range, I still enjoy using them with a subwoofer. Does the 302b come standard with the ability to connect my subwoofer or is that an option?

3) What other brands of modern amps would people recommend. As for the vintage amps I'm aware of Fisher, Scott, and Dynaco. Are there others I should keep an eye out for?

4) I've read that Jolida offers a number of modifications if I were to order a new unit. Assuming I bought a new 302b, what are the things that I should/would want to have them modify for me? I'm asking beyond swapping tubes. I'm already aware that the Chinese tubes that are standard are not that great. I would plan to do the swap to Svetlana EL34's, and I'm aware that many people recommend changing the input and driver tubes as well. What tubes would you recommend for the input and driver. Beyond tubes swaps, I'm rather in the dark on the additional steps that I should do.

Sorry to be long winded and if I'm still clueless on some of this stuff, feel free to smack me around. 9.gif

I do appreciate everyone's help.

~shoe

----------------

On 1/7/2003 10:47:27 PM shoe11 wrote:

If I bought vintage, I wouldn't have much of a clue as to whether or not what I bought was fundamentally sound, nor am I familiar with anyone who could actually clean one up for me should it be necessary.
----------------

Did you see Craigs new NOSValves buisness? Craigs a great guy to get in touch with.

Jeff

I personally think Vintage offerings properly brought up to spec would out perform the units your looking at easily. Although I personally haven't heard the amps your lookking at getting others here have so I just go by what I hear from them. I generally don't push people away from choices they make after all some people just like the new no worry route plus the perfect cosmetic condition they will arrive in. But if you decide on Vintage I will be more than happy to bring the amp up to its best operating condition. You are more than welcome to shoot me links of whatever your looking at and I'll check them out for you. I personally think Scott or EICO are better buy's monitarily and sonically.

Craig

Craig~

I appreciate your offer of assistance and I'll definitely contact you if I find something of interest. After I bought my original RF-3's and started following the forum articles, I was amazed at the number of people running vintage gear. Working in the software business and dealing with computers all my life, my mindset is always for the latest and greatest. So it was a real eye opener for me to come on here and see everyone buying stuff from the 40's, 50's and 60's. I remember the first time I saw a reference to a Scott on here. I went out and pulled up a page with pics and I said to myself when I saw the 222c, "My God that thing's 100 years old!" 9.gif. I would say that I'm definitely in the new no worry route and perfect cosmetics camp right now, though the more I read the more I appreciate the usage of the vintage gear. Big thing for me right now is just to continue to research the technology, keep an eye out for quality used models that might become available, and try to hear a few at my local dealer. I'm really having a hard time accepting the comments about tubes sounding so much better than solid state. I'll probably go hear a few tomorrow and perhaps bring one home to audition with my current system.

Thanks again.

~shoe

You could buy two nicely fixed up Scotts for what that audiogon thing went for, maybe have money left over.

I've got two of these Scotts and an Eico, all three kick serious patootie. IMO, if you're going to step up to tubes, why not go all the way? That Jolida looks to be solid state rectified, no rectifier tube(s) are listed in the tube complement. Same with the ASL. Lots of people think that's important.

I jumped into vintage with both feet, I'm not sorry. My neighbor down the street has some killer SS setup, his new speakers suck so much juice he had to out and buy extra power amp, Carver something-or-another. he dropped by the other night and I cranked up my $300 Scott 222-c into my old Heresy's, he stood there with his mouth open staring at it so long I finally said asked him if he was OK. It was hilarious. The $700 or so my whole system is worth wouldn't buy the cables he's running. I love it.

Tom

• 1 month later...

Shoe,

I am also considering Jolida to power my Forte II's. I noticed in your gear listing that you have Rotel seperates--the 1070 series. Before I started researching the tube idea I was actually planning to go with Rotel. A 1996 critical review of the Forte's suggested Rotel as being an awesome match-up.

As far as SS goes, did you like your Rotel set-up?

I'll be intersted to hear how you like switching to tubes. Being new to the tube idea I am also considering buying new just to reduce the risk.

Good Luck,

Mike

Just think about this a minute.

Vintage pieces are everywhere...and still running. 40 years old or more and they're still kicking! Circuits ulitizing tubes do not fail catastrophically. They tend to fizzle out over time as the parts slowing wear down. Replace the parts and they're good for another 40 years.

Let's take something like the Zen for example. There is ONE resistor and ONE capacitor in the signal path. My Quicksilver amps have 5 parts in the signal path. There is actually very little that can go wrong in a tube amp that can't be fixed without headache.

Solid state is infinitely more complex, and when they fail -- it's almost always catastrophically. To repair even the simplest thing takes forever since finding exact matches for transistors is close to impossible. Blow a SS amp and you mind as well pitch it to the curbside, because with the repair bill you could almost buy a new amp.

Check out the pictures of the Scott amp on Craigs website. Those pictures are of Craigs first 299a, which he eventually sold to me. That amp sounded every bit as good (although different) as the Cary/AE-25 DJH and AE-3 DJH combo I was running at the time. Those two pieces combined sell new for $3700.

The vintage stuff was designed built by those who had very high standards.

I wonder what it would cost to build a Scott 299 now.