BIG CES KLIPSCH NEWS !

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Kev, it's actually refreshing to have your perspective on this thread ... I'm going to guess, but you're probably in the 22-28 age range, maybe a young urban professional rebel? LOL.

Yeah, most of us Klipsch Heritage guys are in our late 30's to 50's; I'm closer to 50, and by the time YOU ARE OUR AGE, you may find that your choices and perspectives on life tend to narrow. You've found your own wheat amongst the chaff and have settled into a comfortable MO. Yes, we are crotchety, but we're a respectable and loveable bunch.

I think, IMHO, that what concerns me is this whole thing reads like a Harvard Business Review case ... I did my years in the tomes on Wall Street, and I get a little fidgety when a company loses sight of the original vision that got it started. Yes, a company that doesn't change with changing times is in deep sneakers, but a company that changes only to generate profit without maintaining a core competence finds itself a spent piece of jet trash on the shoulder of Rt 66 southbound.

I think Fred Klipsch has probably done enough things right to assure the financial soundness of the company, e.g., diversification across markets and product segments, a markedly improved cash flow, and probably a debt-free balance sheet. My genuine hope is that he/it stays true to its long-time loyalists, including PWK himself, and uses the Heritage-like lines of the company to pursue and advance the basic research that keeps the company innovative and on the leading edge of all things audio.

Lovingly,

Crotchety Old Person

Well I have one thing to add here that might be relevant. You may feel that the Pro Media line isn't up to par with the heritage line but ..... They are still the best darn PC speaker made bar none at a reasonable price point !! If its wasn't for the Pro Media 5.1 line I wouldn't own a complete Klipsch Home Theater system for my Livingroom and my Heritage setups in my Shop/Listening room so I myself feel these products are the lost leader that brings the Klipsch name to the next generation that some day will buy the higher end lines and maybe even Heritage !!

Craig

Well...that is a GOOD thing. You liked the product based on the quality of the computer system. Hence, you wandered in here. Then in 2 channel. Then read about tube amps within this forum. Then bought an old tube amp. Learned to fix said old tube amp with advice from those within. now starting to repair tube amps for a living. Original idiot that promoted tube amps now makes web site. PROMOTING! LORD!

A TOTAL change of life because of ye olde computer speakers. It doth belong in the Klipsch Story section, does it not?

Amazing, actually. It frightens me even!

ps- Good post Chris....for an old goon.

Chris,

It's like you are behind me as I get ready for work. 27 yr old attorney from Chicago.

You, of course, have a valid concern. I believe, however, it is a bit premature. Maybe, I am just missing the point. People who are interested in heritage can still buy heritage. Klipsch still produces them. I believe, and I am really just guessing here so anyone with a more informed opinion jump right in, that the new heritage line doesn't keep the lights on at klipsch. Therefore, their continued production is, in some way, made possible through the profits made by the sale of the other products.

If we can still get what we want (heritage sound), who cares about the rest? Is it "all about the music." Or are we talking about an image problem with our speaker brand?

Kelly,

I'm not sure if it is more embarassing for klipsch or Thorton/Rollins. I didn't really peg them as the kind of guys to sell products. Of course, Rollins has slipped a bit in the last 10 yrs. or so, especially with bad bit movie roles and a show on tlc.

Well..Krell has Mike Piazza (sp?), or did. Beats that.

I think that the biggest reason people didnt hook their PCs up to their stereos two decades ago, when the Amiga had RCA outputs, was because the PC is in a different room of the house. Our work/play desks arent in the living room. Yet if the loudspeaker sales are in the gaming market and Klipsch can carve a niche there, so be it. As long as they survive, that is all that is important to me. For a few reasons.

First of which is this wonderful BBS. Without this wonderful BBS, I would not have learned as much as I did. Super-sensitive horns are not the same beasts as other loudspeakers. They reveal different things about the front-end electronics. A review of components without using horns is quite different from one that does (which is why I read Constantine Soo at Stereo Times).

Second is the promotion of the horn sound. No commercially available other retail company is promoting the use of horns in their loudspeakers. Without their public exposure, few people would know that horn style speakers, like the ones tweaking audiophile the concerts, are available for their home use.

Third is the resale value of their loudspeakers. Look at all the Italian car manufacturers/designers of wonderful classic cars which have disappeared. Actually, I cant think of a name as an example. And that is my point. Without some one around to keep the name alive, the old classics fade away and so does their resale value. Ferrari is still around. They are still promoting their new models and reminding us of their classics. Without that, the big old horns that we enjoy will fade to obscurity. Is there a University or VOT forum? Is there a huge resale demand for their old models? Are their classic/heritage models still so highly regarded that they are still being produced today? Is Buick still making the Dynaflow torque converter-type automatic transmission, 56 years later because of continued popular acclaim?

No, I fault them not for what they do. They exploit their strengths to keep their jobs and the company. You go Klipsch. Keep promoting horns, in whatever market, and keep supporting this invaluable forum (and the legend of my big old horns).

3.gif

FWIW

I blundered back into the Klipsch world as a result of buying ProMedia 2.1's . I had been familiar with Klipsch speakers many years before but had basically forgotten about them. On the day that I bought my 2.1's I also auditioned and bought my KLF30's which lead to a new amp,CD player..... Well you've all been there...

I think that Klipsch can increase its brand recognition and therefore its income without dumbing down the product line. Their reputation as the makers of the finest in computer speakers has most certainly increased their sales of Home Audio speakers.

Interesting comments on association & branding.

In 1985 I thought the Black Flag (Henry Garfield/Rollins) brand/image was opposite of Klipsch. I don't know what PWK and Klipsch perceived their image to be at the time but that is how I perceived Klipsch. I actually attended a wine & cheese after hours open house at Tweeter in 1985 where potential customers (I got in because my housemate worked there) listened to the KHorns and classical music and discussed the merits of the Klipsch design. We heard piano concertos and other classical pieces with the 1812 oveture w/cannons as the finale...impressive! Maybe that preppy wine & cheese party influenced my brand perception.

Do the products we buy influence how people perceive us? I think young males perceive speakers to be an important image builder like cars. In 1986 when I was recently out of college there were classmates some who purchased Camero IROC's and others that bought little BMW's. Many would stereotype the owners of each. Would the IROC owners more likely buy an RF7 today and the BMW owners buy a B&W? So should marketeers find other images for association and build upon a brand identity that appeals to a target customer in ways beyond the product? ProMedia=Star Wars=cool SiFi=Nerds=PCs=gamers.

I'm 40 years old and start jamming to the Cadillac Led Zeppelin ads...this ain't your daddy's Caddy. It's sporty and the Zep helps change an image the new target market may have had of Caddy (ie Queen Mary driven by grey hairs in plaid pants, black socks and velcroed sneakers). I love the leverage of the 50's Caddy coolness into the rock and roll space ship of today. If the new Caddy didn't have features that target this audience (sporty looks, handling, etc.) this association would fail. I don't want to buy one but interesting...I want a '05 Mustang! Should Klipsch introduce a new speaker with direct reference to the KHorn and images of PWK? Maybe this is the marketing for the Jubilee? Retro is in, baby! The '05 Mustang Fastback is a good example of leveraging the boomer lust for retro.

The Klipsch quality name from the Heritage days has the "excellence" value. The ProMedia seems to be perceived as a leader in the PC speaker space which helps with the idea of Klipsch=good products in a segment. The new marketing probably doesn't reinforce excellence instead association is used to target customers....good comments Kelly. I guess I've seen other examples - attractive, trendy girl, holding an old Jazz lp while sitting between two speakers (I believe is a Paradigm ad). Would someone perceive that "I'm a progressive, raw, rock & roller and being associated with Klipsch and RF7 reinforces that image. I don't want no dead sounding, wine sipping classical speaker without punch!". Of course these associations don't help with perception that Klipsch=ear bleeding high volume for clubs and young action movie rock & rollers.

I'm just rambling...not sure why...I certainly have more important things to do...I guess I'm stalling in doing them.

Enough brain power on that...I'm going to go listen to my new/used FLIPPER lp I bought in Boulder.

"...forever lost; where night meets day and everyone thinks that they know the proper way"

-FLIPPER "The Lights the Sound the Rhythm the Noise"

sometimes I feel like I might be crashing the party...sorry for the long winded ramblings but you're such an interested group. I hate the boards where all the comments are "this sucks! this rules! You're an idiot, etc.".

kj

FLIPPER

"Ever"

...Ever do nothing and gain nothing from it

Ever feel stupid and then know that you really are

Ever think you're smart and then find out you aren't

Ever play the fool and then find out that you're worse

Ever look at a flower and hate it

Ever see a couple kissing and get sickened by it

Ever wish the human race didn't exist

And then realize you're one too

Well, have you ... ever .. I have

So What

An 80s Anthem. The music is even better.

The new Klipsch promo text? Indeed.

kh

Sadly, these days I cant tell if you are serious or not. Still, I imagine you need the music to bring the impact home.

The music to this song is a wall of semi-tuned, discordant noise second to none in the best decontruction of all things GREAT in Arena rock.

Benny Goodman it is not. Yet it has a beauty to it. If you ever saw the band FLIPPER live, you will surely never forget it. They had the ability to drive you from the club. I once saw My Bloody Valentine play in Chapel Hill to a bunch of smug Chapel Hill station hipsters along with the New Music brigade. MBV broke out into SOLID FEEDBACK at the end of "Honey" and didnt stop. I mean....5 minutes.....10 minutes.....20 DAMN minutes of solid FEEDBACK. The entire place besides 10-15 people left.

I had tears in my eyes it was so beautiful. Suddenly they went back into the last chorus and continued with the set.

kh

KJ, no rambling at all ... some nice insights there. Keep it up.

Side point ... You work at HP there in Ft. Collins? I used to call on that location about 100 years ago and nine sales jobs back ... Man, I loved Colorado and was sorry to leave it (1982) ... Probably looks a little different now, huh?

I was at the Ft.Collins site for work but I live in Dallas. I travel a lot in the western US and would welcome some suggestions on vinyl shops in the major US cities. Yes, I too love CO....of course we all know how CO loves Texans.... There is a lot of suburban buildup along 36 from Denver to Boulder. Big office complexes, malls, etc. Pretty fancy.

I've bought a lot lps at Amoeba Records in Berkley and in Haight/Ashbury in SF. Seattle was OK..not sure if I went to all the right shops though. Many of the "college rock" cities are picked over. Lawrence,KS was a good mix of cutting edge college rock but small market...not a gazillion buyers. I bought some Nick Cage (From Her to Eternity), Naked Raygun, Salem 66 (a 45) and Real Kids (a 45) there. Any suggestions for Orange County, CA?

I assume I can look up the record stores in Goldmine or the Yellow Pages.

I liked "Barts" on Pearl in Boulder but didn't find much in Ft.Collins near CSU...just a bunch of worn out platinum sellers. St.Louis was pretty good near Washington U. They had a old Jazz vinyl section, too. Detroit was a good stop, too.

January 08, 2003

It's not easy getting noticed among the 2,000 exhibitors at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas. But Klipsch Audio Technologies is determined to be seen -- and heard.

The Indianapolis company is far from the largest company at the show, which starts Thursday and features names such as Sony, Intel, Samsung and Texas Instruments. But its two-story exhibit, complete with four conference rooms, will be hard to miss.

That's the point for Klipsch, which is striving to become a household name in the mass audio market. With about 100,000 people from retailers to distributors to installers expected to attend, the Consumer Electronics Show is the perfect forum for broadening the Klipsch name and market.

"CES is very important to Klipsch," said company spokesman Joshua Hall. "We get to show off who we are and what we are capable of."The company already has done a good job selling itself to its core customers. Audiophiles who can hear the tiniest hiss or the most quiet pop know 56-year-old Klipsch for its quality.

(That's Reporter jargon for "Audiophiles" We know what we are looking at and listening too and can hear a poor speaker vs a great one..LOL)

And those whose investment portfolios still look healthy after a three-year stock market downturn also may have priced a Klipsch speaker a time or two. At up to nearly $4,000 apiece, Klipsch speakers don't exactly cater to the Kmart crowd.

(Or three or four or even daily on Ebay...LOL hey you get what you pay for...and K mart these are not thank goodness)

The company's focus on the high-end audio market has served it well, with sales increasing an average of 20 percent a year during the past five years. That's even more impressive considering that the U.S. loudspeaker market has been flat during the past three years with about $750 million in sales annually.

(Good to know we have been doing well with the RF Series. I have a great feeling it will get better too in time.)

The privately held company will not release its sales figures, but NPD Intellect, a market research company, says Klipsch holds 8.9 percent share of the market for loudspeakers sold at all retail outlets. Among specialty retailers, such as Indianapolis-based high-end consumer electronics seller Ovation, the market share is 17.7 percent.

During the past three years, the company has boosted employment at its Northwestside headquarters from 55 to 128; it employs 300 people worldwide.

(I am really happy to see this. For those of you NOT in Indy here is a fantastic facility complete with an anechoic chamber and lots of great people hired for Klipsch and the Aragon side of things too. Also glad to see the expansion in Hope, where things are made, which without making good money.. they could not be competitive and create more products into the future too.)

"Among those who focus on performance, they have a very strong share and are well-regarded," said Joseph Palenchar, senior editor of TWICE, a consumer electronics trade publication.

But Klipsch is not content with having a good reputation among the elite in the audio business. The company is on a steady campaign to build name-brand awareness, particularly among young people.

(OK, I guess this is where some of you got ticked off... Why not become more famous? If all Klipsch did was make the Heritage line in 2003.. I am not sure where the company would be today. Many of the names we all respected in the 60-70-80-90's are long gone, because they did not watch the bottom line too. I guess it is the GM car theory.. get em started in a Chevy then move em up to a Cadillac too. Lets cut some slack for Klipsch here... The Pro media and entry level line stuff will tease em into buying great home products for HT and Stereo later.)

It has built alliances with movie theater companies, where Klipsch wants to become the dominant speaker. Klipsch is the speaker of choice at Hard Rock Cafes.

The company's speakers, which at one time could be found only at the priciest consumer electronics shops, now can be purchased in home theater systems sold at mass retailers such as Best Buy and Circuit City.

(Not all mass retailing is bad. There is a reason why Best Buy has a big store..They move a LOT of product too.)

Now, Klipsch speakers will be installed in a new line of multimedia systems from Hewlett-Packard. That deal alone could bring Klipsch $5 million to $15 million in sales, cementing the company's leadership in the high-end computer speaker market.

(So we wish it was Dell Or Gateway Or Mac.. Who cares? This is really great to be noticed, and will again get the name out too.)

Until Klipsch entered the market in 1999, few computer buyers paid more than $25 for speakers, with the most expensive selling for $99 for a pair. "Some of the largest competitors to us are computer peripheral manufacturers," Hall said. "These are people who make computer mouse contraptions and keyboards."

Klipsch turned heads when it entered the market with its Pro Media speakers selling at $250.

As it turned out, Klipsch's timing was perfect. Young computer gamers yearned for a sonic sound system to complement the awesome on-screen graphics.

"People told us we couldn't be successful, and here were are, three years later," Hall said.

Klipsch is likely to benefit even more from the home computer evolution. While gamers gave Pro Media a fast start, digital music may give it staying power.

"Because the PC is changing its focus and becoming more of an entertainment hub, you want to put these high-end speakers on desk tops," said HP spokeswoman LJ Skibbe.

Palenchar gives Klipsch high marks for product development and marketing creativity.

"Pushing the PC market is a viable strategy, especially since most younger teens are listening to music on their PCs," he said. And as those teens mature into adults, they could continue to be loyal Klipsch customers with money to spend on high-end floor speakers, he said.

(Hello .. Isn't this what it is all about? This is a great strategy,,, Takes time and will prove to be a great way to introduce future Klipsch lovers to our brand!)

Those speakers, said Jeff Miller, marketing director for Ovation, "play loud and don't break. I've got Klipsch speakers in my kids' rooms because they want to play them loud. There are not a whole lot of speakers that could stand up to that abuse."

Klipsch also understands that with good engineering must come marketing. Over the past two years, the company has stepped up its campaign to enhance the Klipsch brand name. Among its moves:

Last year, when the latest Star Wars movie, "Attack of the Clones," was released, Klipsch came out with limited-edition speakers bearing the movie's name.

In a bid to expand its movie theater speaker business, Klipsch agreed to sponsor the Heartland Film Festival in Indianapolis.

On Tuesday, Klipsch announced a partnership with Muzak, which offers subscription-based music to places like the Gap, Eddie Bauer and Amoco gas stations. Klipsch speakers will be installed with Muzak programs, in a deal worth more than $9 million over three years to Klipsch.

The company recently closed entries for a nationwide contest asking people to tell their favorite story about a Klipsch product. Although a winner among the 375 entries has yet to be announced, three months ago Klipsch couldn't resist releasing a particularly tantalizing story about a Wisconsin man who, 22 years ago, traded a car for a pair of Klipsch speakers.

And now the Consumer Electronic Show. Last year's show was a huge boon to Klipsch, Hall said, with the company "making a big splash with our brand."

With a number of new and improved products to showcase, "It's going to be another one of those years for us," Hall predicts. "We have so many new products and so much excitement with our brand. We're riding a wave of increased brand identity."

===============================================

OK, and now for some of your comments and my responses to them too...

This was taken from the Indianapolis Star newspaper...I doubt many of you actually read our local paper, so decided to share with many of you my delight in seeing a great piece done on the front page of the Business section.

To some of your comments negative wise I am puzzled why you spend so much time being negative and writing rambling about it too. Is your life so incomplete that you find it necessary to bash anything positive? If you were born in the 50's and when your a teen did you see the Beatles on a commercial show like Ed Sullivan...And go they are soo fake I hate them now forever because they are obviously commercial?? Pick any era..do the same scenario...Although I must laugh at Led Zep for the Cadillac ads..... Indeed for a lot of us.. been a looooooong time since we rocked and rolled...LOL.

Mobile Homeless... I used to really appreciate your comments. You have, over time, gotten to be very negative on almost everything. What happened? I think it only adds to the average guys knowledge if, in fact, he understands what the name of your product is and that you have "inexpensive"...OK "entry" level stuff..and more Audiophile stuff too available. As long as the stuff in Best Buy is not the same stuff in the Ovations and Tweeters of the world... We will still have our audio stores with better more informed and helpful sales people, in most cases, to get the "Good" stuff too.

Chris Robinson.. Paul was about sound.. but trust me, he was also about making money too. He gave large amounts of it away to charity...and helped many people find work with Klipsch too. Your too idealistic to believe otherwise, I suggest you read his book. I have.. nuff said... Your second post about Samsung proves my point. It is a positive step with a very MAJOR big company too. Good point to re visit this idea.

heresy2guy.. Your too new to comment on at any length personally. But any alliance again will be loved by some hated by others... Quality components..?? Do you believe Klipsch, with again 56 years of history, would send anything out the door they thought might tarnish the Klipsch name? Better said would you if it was your company with your name on it. I doubt it.. Have they had a few problems?/ Yes from time to time you do with audio stuff..afterall it is an art and a science too. The key is they have corrected most if not all of them..Thats the true sign of a pro active company wanting to please their customers. Kinda like this BB too. To help them connect with the Klipsch line.

To Justin... I know your a wiz kid... I like you.. Have said so many times your like the kid brother to a lot of us late 30- 40 something crowd.. That said... your comment...

"This is actually not news in the sense of the word. It is certainly not new, but not being a ProMedia freak like me, I won't hold that against you :)"

Well, news it is... New news..maybe not entirely... But the first time published in this fashion and a great piece too. Was also a great piece in the trades in Las Vegas too.

I am happy your able to afford 8 Pro Media systems... Like you really need all 8? I also agree with your final statement too "None the less I am excited to see Klipsch make more money. Just makes me more sure that they will be around for my kids to have some next-gen K-Horns.." If it were not for this success I doubt we would have ever seen the K horns or any other Heritage stuff re issued today or for tomorrow. After all, lets be honest here.. If all we did was buy off of Ebay the heritage line and not take a chance at the newer stuff that Klipsch is making today...The company would be bankrupt. I for one while building my own version of your parents "size wise castle for me" here in Indy...LOL.. I will hopefully be able to have both the Heritage and the new stuff..including some areas I have never tried before, like in walls, ceiling, and yes maybe even getting me some pro media gear too.

Kev 313... I agree with you too. Great post.

Crash827.. I agree you can't be everything to everybody all the time. Loved your Harley analogy,, and SOOO true too. Even though I fit in this category. For a lot of old time bikers I am sure there is nothing worse than a part time "Yuppie" living out his weekend fantasy as a bad a** biker dude, over a long weekend not shaving going to bars and places he never would in his Armani custom fitted suit...hahahahaa I find it humorous that army trucks...made here also in Indiana.,.Called Hummers...are all the rage in Hollyweird too. LOL. Ask any army guy this is probably the LAST vehicle he wants to drive for pleasure...LOL As for Rolex..It will never be out of style with those that have achieved success and are wanting something to have for themselves and others to see on their wrists too. Sure over time only a few will be able to afford such a hand made watch that has tradition over the "flavor" of the month too. Some are more expensive yes.. But none have this recognition for yourself..and respected worldwide.

deang... Your child's comment IS the whole point. HE thinks they are cool. He is the future buyer of speakers after a lot of us will be long gone. You have to have price points I am sure Klipsch knows that if you have a three way at such n such a price approx. this many people can afford it.. but if it is just say 30 dollars more.. People will not. Thats marketing to price points yes. But it also is research marketing and engineering to make the best products at those points too.

Billy Bob and Henry Rollins.. They are actors portraying a character on the screen. I doubt if they are like what we see even 70%.. Remember it is Hollywood..

Mobile Homeless... I think Promotions and Marketing go hand in hand. They both need to be successful to work. And anything successful has marketing in some fashion just be honest with yourself. Now over promoting something without substance.. Not everything in life is for everybody, every day. You said "Crotchety AND eccentric with just a dash of "I'm better than you." Yep enough said. We all have some kinda ego one way or another.. Can also be pride too, to what we believe in.

Chris Robinson... "Yeah, most of us Klipsch Heritage guys are in our late 30's to 50's; I'm closer to 50, and by the time YOU ARE OUR AGE, you may find that your choices and perspectives on life tend to narrow. You've found your own wheat amongst the chaff and have settled into a comfortable MO. Yes, we are crotchety, but we're a respectable and lovable bunch." That's my hope for the BB too. We all like Klipsch, we may like some lines more than others.. but this constant putting it down is silly and unproductive. IMO

Noss 440- Craig... well said...and true.

Lynnm.. See case and point.. a NEW happy customer...

OK BB I guess I am open season here too bring it on with your comments too. But I have loved this company through thick n thin since I was 15 yrs old. You can read my story in the DEC entries...2nd page under C last name Chase. I have worked hard my whole life in support of Klipsch and to obtain Klipsch products like many of you. ( I do not work for, or have any financial gain for being so positive on Klipsch too FYI) It just gets old when it is so slammed on here it makes the BB a bad experience or leaves me feeling negative about something and in some cases when people are bashed.. I feel sorry for them too as individuals. I am sorry Paul eventually died. I am also sorry for a while we could net get the Heritage line. But it is back..maybe even a new Jubilee too, soon, and perhaps a new Heritage product(s) if this line goes well in the future.

Just my 2 cents...

Roger

The fact that you view that as a totally positive article speaks for itself. I found the article actually contained a lot of hidden pessimism and irony concerning Klipsch's promotion, not to mention some less than flattering comments if you read between the lines.

You missed my points and just turned it into the traditional "You are always negative" response. I am much more on here than "Mr. Negative" I can say that. I read that whole article twice. What can one say to this? BTW, The "crotchety" line was from KEV.

Mark, nice comments and a lot of truth. Well done.

kh

ps- See what happens when behind the computer for too long? IndyKlipsch, go look at my loving review of the Flaming Lips in that vinyl thread! See? I can be positive! heh...

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Chris Robinson.. Paul was about sound.. but trust me, he was also about making money too. He gave large amounts of it away to charity...and helped many people find work with Klipsch too. Your too idealistic to believe otherwise, I suggest you read his book. I have.. nuff said... Your second post about Samsung proves my point. It is a positive step with a very MAJOR big company too. Good point to re visit this idea.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Indy, I'm too idealistic? I think the position I was taking was NOT normative at all ... If anything, it was subjective and based on reality. I was actually trying to get AWAY from the idealistic Harvard Business School approach towards something more meaningful ...

My only point was that it is my hope that some of the dividends from the success the current company is enjoying (which is a good result) are being reinvested in the high end development that PWK himself sought in the late '40's when he was developing the X-1, X-2, etc. E.g., the Jubilee.

And yes, I DID in fact buy and read the book and am aware of his dedication to the community, the church, U of M, and philanthropy in general. I LIKE his view of the world! I have, in fact, put the book out in circulation amongst the members of this board (currently with NOS440). If you search this forum for the thread on the book that I started around Christmas, I think you'll see that it was thoroughly discussed, reviewed, debated -- all good stuff. Speaking of debate, I think, whether or not you agree, you'll see balanced discussion tempered by respect for differing opinions.

I've seen great companies start, struggle, grow and explode ... only to ultimately implode because they lost sight of what their core mission and competence was ... That was my only point!

Sorry if I was not more clear.

Well a dose of reality boys. Klipsch is a corporation, first and formost function of a corp. is to generate profits, that is how they survive. Creating different product lines at different price points is a good business strategy. As much as alot of you would like to believe that Klipsch opens its doors every morning so they could build speakers for the masses, so they can enjoy there audio delights of choice are mistaken. They go to work to MAKE MONEY, TURN PROFITS, survive the next wave of economic up & down swings, and grab as much of the market while its hot or not. This company deals in profiting through mass production, why would it seem so out of line to have that sort of ideology towards marketing there product(s). Sorry to come across so cynical but that is the american corporate way. 11.gif

Tom

OK. Let me withdraw and rephrase.

(1) Growth and profits are fine, in fact desired, for sustainable growth.

(2) Sustainable growth is driven by sustainable competitive advantage.

(3) Sustainable competitive advantage is maintained by staying ahead of everybody else in one's area of core competence.

We can debate Klipsch's core competence, but I would venture that they know what they're doing in the world of horns in applied audio physics.

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear.