Restoration Project Klipsch KG 3.5 (KM 4) worth to do ?

MicroMara

@CCG  Hi ..I discovered that the sec. cap on the board is a 6 uf and NOT 4 uf as shown in the schematic . The 4 uf cap  was used obviousely in the KG 3.2 , I allready odered the parts 🤪  . Going to order a 6 uf now . Hope you see that early enough ...

639078299_KG3.5Schemativ.thumb.jpg.d246920d7847b4d8ff49090d46b4d864.jpg

1584995957_X-OverKG3.5kleiner.thumb.jpg.bef23220432b8574b02a6eab0b8835f5.jpg

• Like 1

20 hours ago, MicroMara said:

@CCG  Hi ..I discovered that the sec. cap on the board is a 6 uf and NOT 4 uf as shown in the schematic . The 4 uf cap  was used obviousely in the KG 3.2 , I allready odered the parts 🤪  . Going to order a 6 uf now . Hope you see that early enough ...

639078299_KG3.5Schemativ.thumb.jpg.d246920d7847b4d8ff49090d46b4d864.jpg

1584995957_X-OverKG3.5kleiner.thumb.jpg.bef23220432b8574b02a6eab0b8835f5.jpg

1. Hi,
       Sorry I didnt had  the chance to get back earlier. Anyways I got the Lpad done and replaced the 24uf to 25uf / 100 bi-polar and both PP caps. My crossover has slight difference in looks but seems like the same circuit "but" with original 4 and  8uf.
    image.thumb.jpeg.c650d94244e0889c86f782e013b913f3.jpeg

[IMG]
Edited by CCG
  • Like 1

Playing this cabinet, I realize that this cabinet is just about the right size for my room which is 600 sq ft = (55.742 sq mt). I notice there is a lot of bass and mid-range potential that need to be unlocked in high volumes. To make this happen, I think we would need to make a hollow base plate then attached to the the bottom of the speaker firmly. We can bolt it in the 4 studs to make it semi- permanent.

Now here is the big picture. That hollow base, needs to be filled with clean sand or cat (litter sand). This will give that extra weight and distribute the bass and mid-range dynamics to the room which I suspect it will improve especially on a tower ported speakers. I wants to pump more bass but when I was measuring on my watt and Db meter, when it hits 17 watts 0 distortion of class A tube power (87 db average at 15 feet) its starting to loose its cabinet position rigidity. I'm really happy with this cabinet and I want to improve it more because of the perfect size, not too big and not too small and it has a monster sound. The one thing that I really like the most in this cabinet is I can play it at 99db in the radius of 14 feet and its not even that loud. It produces nothing but music and in fact, I was able to talk to my wife while I was taking a reading on my cell phone.

image.thumb.jpeg.341ccbc8b59a06f19763e9d3123af4c8.jpeg

• Like 1

@CCG  You´ve done a perfect job !

I listend to all three, to me well known tunes as well , using the same headphone , as I got different headphones and I must say the KG3.5 sounds excellent in my ear . Especially with the 300 B Tube , PERFECT ! As I allready wrote somewhere in this thread ...for their cabinet size and cabinet volume ...they´re amazing speaker for middle sized rooms . Yes it´s worth to work on the KG 3.5 x-over in view to re-cap them . You may optimize the cabinet´s inside damping like I did. All you need is to digg here in this thread. I´m still waiting for my ordered caps and will continue my x-over works during next week or so .

Than I´ll let you know as well .  It´s a real international fun project with you .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MicroMara said:

I listend to all three, to me well known tunes as well , using the same headphone , as I got different headphones and I must say the KG3.5 sounds excellent in my ear . Especially with the 300 B Tube , PERFECT ! As I allready wrote somewhere in this thread ...for their cabinet size and cabinet volume ...they´re amazing speaker for middle sized rooms . Yes it´s worth to work on the KG 3.5 x-over in view to re-cap them . You may optimize the cabinet´s inside damping like I did. All you need is to digg here in this thread. I´m still waiting for my ordered caps and will continue my x-over works during next week or so .

Than I´ll let you know as well .  It´s a real international fun project with you .

Okay O will improve it more. I saw you did some extra dampening inside, better wrings and connectors. PS I forgot to order the 3 ohm resistor

I think it is worth every penny too. Ive seen people spend well over 3,500 US dollars for the same 8 inch speakers and could not even get close to this sound. In my opinion the cabinet sounds very rich The recording I did was all 14 feet away at 86 db anywhere from 10 to 12 watts.

Edited by CCG
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MicroMara said:

@CCG did you changed the diafragm into a titanium allready , I´m asking because I´still using the origin carbon graphite cone

Still using the same one.. I'm waiting for the speaker and the amp to break in together since the amp is still brand new with 4 hours of use and the speaker has a new components inside. Then after that.. Ill take it from there.

1. Hi
    I was gonna ask you a quick question off from this threading. I remember seeing a speaker that has a flank of like 3 inch solid wood on the bottom. I want to get one or make one that I can attach to the KG-3.5 cabinet semi or even permanent bolted on to the bottom of the cabinet "Flat" not lifted. I want to add a weight on the bottom of the cab so when I blasts it on higher db it would be more solid. Any ideas where I can get or make a set?
    PS.. My other small Vienna acoustic cabinet has a small compartment inside that you can fill with 20 lbs. (9.07 klg) of sand. It makes a very big difference on either lower or especially higher volumes. It ripples the lower frequency much more and smoother.
    Thanks..

[IMG]
    image.jpeg.c695019c6505e6c2cc19ddfcf5bc18bd.jpeg
     image.jpeg.75bb6f10d6c785b4954c28b04443f21e.jpeg
Edited by CCG
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MicroMara said:

I really like the sound of the KG-3.5 as a personal preference. I like getting a good and strong amount of bass sound without the use of sub-woofer. This speaker does it very well. It just needs a little help in restoration and since its a little old. But the main thing is having a "single 8" inch speaker with a higher sensitivity input than normal makes all the difference. You can run a small wattage solid amp the speaker rocks. That type of 8 inch speaker cabinet is very hard to find today. I been looking for this type of cabinet for almost 2 years now.

Edited by CCG
  • Like 1

HMMM basically it´s a good idea , makes the cabinet more heavy , but I consider to use bitumex heavy plates for the inner base plate . I need to order again, as I made good experience with them in my FR7 EvoTec´s baseplate. They´re not expansive at all.

259657658_bitumenSchwerfolie.thumb.jpg.8adc7649f77d2b892100a6f66ffa5652.jpg

After I built the spikes into the cabinets , I put them on a very heavy granite plate , This combination decouples the speaker from the room very well .

SpikesKM41.jpg.7110cc877746f6d03d98e40a0a2a05f7.jpg

You can see , how I did it in this thread as well

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, CCG said:

I really like the sound of the KG-3.5 as a personal preference. I like getting a good and strong amount of bass sound without the use of sub-woofer. This speaker does it very well. It just needs a little help in restoration and since its a little old. But the main thing is having a "single 8" inch speaker with a higher sensitivity input than normal makes all the difference. You can run a small wattage solid amp the speaker rocks. That type of 8 inch speaker cabinet is very hard to find today. I been looking for this type of cabinet for almost 2 years now.

That reminds me a couple of month ago I made a simillar experience , I was looking for a new  Klipsch mod speaker project for this winter season . I saw them in a german sec. hand market and thought " they ´re great " . I was quiet impressed about the sound as well without any mod, never ever expected taht at all !

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, MicroMara said:

That reminds me a couple of month ago I made a simillar experience , I was looking for a new  Klipsch mod speaker project for this winter season . I saw them in a german sec. hand market and thought " they ´re great " . I was quiet impressed about the sound as well without any mod, never ever expected taht at all !

The KG-3.5 speakers are really good but your amp and especially your preamp is a very big contribution to your sound. If you don't mind me asking, what amp are you using?

Thanks, CCG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MicroMara said:

HMMM basically it´s a good idea , makes the cabinet more heavy , but I consider to use bitumex heavy plates for the inner base plate . I need to order again, as I made good experience with them in my FR7 EvoTec´s baseplate. They´re not expansive at all.

259657658_bitumenSchwerfolie.thumb.jpg.8adc7649f77d2b892100a6f66ffa5652.jpg

After I built the spikes into the cabinets , I put them on a very heavy granite plate , This combination decouples the speaker from the room very well .

SpikesKM41.jpg.7110cc877746f6d03d98e40a0a2a05f7.jpg

You can see , how I did it in this thread as well

Got it and I understand very well. Thank you.

• Like 1

This weekend I will use a different sound source better than the node 2i streamer. I notice there is a very small amount of impurity it the high frequency on high volume only. I don't know if that's the stock tweeter but for sure the node 2i is not as clean as the other interface I'm using which is a Motu M4, Nakamichi Deck or Vinyl. We'll see..☺️

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CCG said:

The KG-3.5 speakers are really good but your amp and especially your preamp is a very big contribution to your sound. If you don't mind me asking, what amp are you using?

Thanks, CCG

Have a look here ...

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/profile/74928-micromara/

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CCG said:

This weekend I will use a different sound source better than the node 2i streamer. I notice there is a very small amount of impurity it the high frequency on high volume only. I don't know if that's the stock tweeter but for sure the node 2i is not as clean as the other interface I'm using which is a Motu M4, Nakamichi Deck or Vinyl. We'll see..☺️

Yes , the blue Nodi is an entry level streamer , like you Naka´s as well .I had a CR4,  LX 5 and a DR1 , your´s is a 680 ZX ?  in middel of 1990´s I changed to Teac V 6030 S .

• Thanks 1

On 1/11/2023 at 3:05 PM, MicroMara said:

@CCG did you changed the diafragm into a titanium allready , I´m asking because I´still using the origin carbon graphite cone

there's no such thing as a carbon graphite cone in  the Tweeter diaphragm  of the KG-3.5 ....BTW   there are no cones in tweeter diaphragms  .

• Thanks 1