Have I just broken my K-77?

13Hertz

Practice is a good idea.  A very good idea.  Get some wire and figure out a repeatable way to hold it in position, and get soldering!   If you spend even 15-30 minutes practicing, your soldering will be better, and you’ll have a bigger smile on your face when you’re sitting on your listening chair enjoying your music.  Of course, you need to have enough solder that you’re not needing to use the last teeny bit on the spool.  Keep going until you’re close to satisfied with your results.  There is no perfection in anything in this world, but really good is close enough.

There’s a certain satisfaction with gaining or improving a skill.  Also, it lets you feel like you earned the experience you have later, when you power up your system and it does what it’s supposed to do.  When your skill becomes a craft, one of many you’ve learned and refined, you’re on your journey to become a journeyman.

Okay, that takes a basic soldering skill all the way over the top of the hill and way down the far side, but mastering relatively simple skills can be fun.  Get to it!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 13Hertz said:

as OO1 suggested, I looked closely at the diaphragm that I stupidly damaged by disassembling the K-77 the wrong way and I see that there is copper wire still connected to both POS and NEG sides of the unit (about 1/4" of super fine wire).

Also, on my K-77, there's no plastic parts - it's all metal.  The diaphragm sits down into a metal dish and the diaphragm seems to have a cardboard gasket attached to the back of it (maybe fused to it over time?).  Not sure. 

It can't hurt for me to try and repair this diaphragm using the method suggested by tigerwoodKhorns - sounds......possible.....but, I doubt my chances are very good at success due to my less than expert soldering "skills".  I'll let you guys know how it turns out. 

Also, since there is wire still connected to the diaphragm, I was able to get my meter on it and confirm that it has continuity.  That's good news.

ABA3B7D0-4C37-46C4-ABAC-FD931D1262BC_1_105_c.jpeg

1565C745-280A-4986-A099-1F4C57BC8173_1_105_c.jpeg

Practice practice practice as stated.  Use think flux core solder and hopefully you have a good soldering station and not a gun. 

One method it to get a little solder on the wire being attached heat it and touch to the lead on the tweeter.  it should flow to the lead and cool.  You might need three hands (a helper) to hold the lead still.

I would look at the melting point of the solder before real soldering. And depending on that, I would melt it quickly but make the contact with the soldering iron shorter. Of course it is a very fine wire. But if you could thermally dissipate the wire between the voice coil and the soldering point with fine metal, it would be an advantage. However, this is only a theoretical consideration. On the other hand, you don't want to ruin the wire mechanically. Other members here know more, but how about carefully spraying the wire or even the voice coil at the connection point with cold spray just before soldering...and then quickly soldering?