Time to upgrade the Quartets

vandyman

I have owned some quartets for years, as well as my beloved Forte I's with ALK networks.  My main stereo is Vandersteen 3 A Signatures running through a modified Acurus RL-11 preamp and Odyssey Khartago SE stereo amp or Acurus A 250, depending upon the mood. I love the Quartets on vocals, especially female voices, but something just happens to them while listening to orchestral pieces, or complex passages in simple movie scores.  

I am wondering if there is anyone with the skill set to rework the network. Or is it a simple cap issue that can be done to refresh the sound. I trusted Al Klappenberger with my Forte I's for network modifications and loved them. Al never worked with the Quartets, and now that he has retired from active network building, I don't have a trusted source for information. So, I turn to the community that should lend its expertise in this fun little hobby. Any and all advice would be appreciated. 

Thanks

Vandyman

• Like 1

After much consultation, I think the time is right to let these speakers go to market. My son has no interest in these speakers as they are somewhat large given the many options available to him today. As far as money goes, I think funds would be better spent on a brand-new Forte IV to obtain that great Klipsch sound. My original Forte I's sound great with the ALK crossovers, and I can only imagine that the latest Forte sounds much better. So, thanks Deang for the kind offer.

Vandyman

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vandyman said:

After much consultation, I think the time is right to let these speakers go to market. My son has no interest in these speakers as they are somewhat large given the many options available to him today. As far as money goes, I think funds would be better spent on a brand-new Forte IV to obtain that great Klipsch sound. My original Forte I's sound great with the ALK crossovers, and I can only imagine that the latest Forte sounds much better. So, thanks Deang for the kind offer.

Vandyman

I replaced my forte II that I purchased in 1992 new, with a pair of forte IV a little less than 2 weeks ago.  As great as the series 1 & II's are, they in no way stand up to the new IV series.   

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, John Chi-town said:

I replaced my forte II that I purchased in 1992 new, with a pair of forte IV a little less than 2 weeks ago.  As great as the series 1 & II's are, they in no way stand up to the new IV series.   

I'm very tempted to buy the new forte IV-- not sure even as good as they are how well they'd stand up next to my Chorus II's with the k-510 / k-691 combo? would hate to shell out that kind of cash and not have a significant upgrade. Been watching the used market a little more closely might jump at a nice priced forte IV or Cornwall IV to satisfy my curiosity.

• Like 1