Cable box audio out - optical vs HDMI

Emile

Completely puzzled; hoping you "experts" can shed some light on my problem :) 

OK; have my cable box connected to TV via "input 1," and my AVR via HDMI to TV "input 2."  (Did this as we watch TV 95% of the time without using the AVR, plus the wife gets "confused" by the AVR :) ) Also, TV optical is attached to AVR, in case we want "better" sound.

Was playing around and found an optical out on my cable box. So; took "off" the TV toslink and connected it to the cable box. Works fine, BUT - very strangely - TV and box remotes NO LONGER WORK; cannot change inputs and even power off does NOT work :(  NO CLUE :( And ... assume this optical only gives me PCM 2.0 and NOT 5.1 surround.

Therefore, second question is can I use a HDMI splitter and feed both my TV and AVR with this - giving me full 5.1 sound. Or would I have the same (communication/handshake ?) problems? Yes, can try it, but would like advise first as any "cabling" changes are a nightmare. Any splitters you guys/gals recommend?

Thanks and Cheers, Emile

OK; got a StarTech ST122HD4KU splitter. One HDMI cable direct to TV, and one to my AVR (Onkyo TX-RZ810). But :( AVR still says "input PCM 2.0 48kHz, output Direct 2.0."  When I try to change listening modes the AVR responds with "not available." Any suggestions?

Thanks, Emile

I’m not understanding why you need a hdmi splitter.  Does your tv and avr support arc (audio return channel)?  If so, you can connect the avr to the hdmi arc input on the tv.  Your cable box to any other tv input. The hdmi between the tv and avr will carry any audio input to the tv (your cable box or over the air broadcasts for example) back to the avr. 

Or..  If it was working fine before any changes, just return to that setup and use the tv digital optical out connected to the avr.  It is more than capable of transmitting 5.1 dolby digital format.  Only the highest data rate formats require hdmi (atmos and dts hd for example I think).  

Edited by winglet
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, winglet said:

I’m not understanding why you need a hdmi splitter.

Hardly ever use the AVR with the TV (and the wife gets confused by all the AVR inputs) ... that's why I connected it directly to the cable box (with TV optical to AVR in case I wanted "better" sound. Worked fine but never thought I was getting 5.1 surround from the TV.

Therefore; to get 5.1 sound I used a splitter to also connect the cable box via hdmi to the AVR. Works great, but can "only find" PCM 2.0. :( 

35 minutes ago, Emile said:

Hardly ever use the AVR with the TV (and the wife gets confused by all the AVR inputs) ... that's why I connected it directly to the cable box (with TV optical to AVR in case I wanted "better" sound. Worked fine but never thought I was getting 5.1 surround from the TV.

Therefore; to get 5.1 sound I used a splitter to also connect the cable box via hdmi to the AVR. Works great, but can "only find" PCM 2.0. :( 

Is the content you’re watching on the cable box being broadcast in more than 2 channels?  Avr can’t input 5.1 if the cable box is only sending it 2.0 data.  It can however use it’s processing to ‘create’ the additional channels.  Also, I remember reading some cable boxes required using optical to transmit 5.1.  Not sure this is still the case with newer boxes.

I get connecting the cable box directly

to the tv and not the avr for simplicity.  I have one of my parents tvs set up this way because the cable box has hdmi handshake issues when connected thru the avr.  If your avr and tv support hdmi arc tho, you do not need a splitter.

Edited by winglet
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, winglet said:

Is the content you’re watching on the cable box being broadcast in more than 2 channels?

Haha; unknown. Provider is Spectrum and on Google it says HD content (on movies) WITH surround sound.  But :( never found any 5.1 sound yet, even with their "on demand movies"  - still searching :)  Or it could be my cable box as I have an older (Cisco 8742HDC) box - bought it since it has PIP and using a cable card with it.

To recap; cable box is connected to TV via HDMI and TV to AVR via optical - pretty sure it only gives me 2.0. So; used a splitter to feed HDMI to AVR assuming THAT would give me 5.1 - and sofar only 2.0. Yes; I know it is (?) a "redundant" setup. Just did that so my wife can just turn on the cable + TV, without having to bother with "setting" the AVR. Haha; she is a doctor; NOT a technician :) 

Thanks for the help :) 

46 minutes ago, winglet said:

Dig around the cisco setup menus and see if you can configure the audio out to allow this.

Yeah, AWESOME, and thanks for the link ... will try "next week" when the wife is out of town :) 

Quite the read guys but did you notice this???

48 minutes ago, Emile said:

will try "next week" when the wife is out of town :) 

Me thinks @Emilecould quite possibly be trying to hide those "other" channels from his wife.  Or is it me just thinking outside the box again???   😂😂😂

• Thanks 1