Heresy + Forte or...?

Philip

While playing around with my various listening areas I hooked up the Heresy IV and Forte III in an A+B (Marantz 5012 AVR 100 watts per channel). Like, wow! The setup brings out the best of both speakers and creates a sound wall of awesomeness that I cannot un-hear.

So here is the question: is this the same a just getting some Cornwalls, Chorus, or Belles (if I can squeeze them in)? I'm open minded to continuing the journey but maybe I landed at the endgame. Any opinions?

If a wall of sound is all you are after, using multiple speakers in that manner will achieve your goal. But if you want accurate reproduction (as much as that is possible at all) of the musical event, one pair of high(er) quality speakers is the way to go. As @wuzzzerpoints out, comb filtering is what you will get. And as you found out in your research, it's not overly desirable.

So it does come down to believable soundstaging and holographic imaging vs a bombastic wall of sound. Pick your poison.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Klipschtastic said:

See if you can find some Cornwall IV within a reasonable distance to listen to. I have them and they produce a big  

soundstage. Hard to realize the advantage though unless you can hear them along side your Fortes. 

I agree. A CW IV is a pretty big upgrade over a Forte III.