What do YOU think of the new reference design???

Stephen328

----------------

On 1/15/2003 12:40:20 PM cluless wrote:

Ok, Once the grills are on will they look any different than the R7s in cherry? I don't think so, unless they improved the grills.
----------------

I don't think the appearance of the grills has changed much, HOWEVER, they switched to magnetic clips rather than the fragile posts. So, no more complaints about that at least.

----------------

On 1/15/2003 11:00:15 AM KAiN64 wrote:

----------------

On 1/15/2003 6:10:47 AM tripod wrote:

Yes! I knew this day would come! Who's ready to sell me their junky out-dated RF-7's for $200. Come on, make space for the new stuff.

----------------

Sorry to say this, but the Klipsch RF-7 is NOT being replaced and still remains top-of-the-line Reference Series floorstanding speaker, YAY!
3.gif

----------------

Good point Kain, I missed that detail the first time through. Okay, here's my new proposition. Who wants to sell me their junky out-dated RF-3 II's for $175? Come on, make space for the shiny new stuff. 9.gif

New grilles eliminate the snapping grille post problem. New anodizing process minimizes cone denting from improper handling. New integrated horn minimized diffraction effects of horn mounted in older baffle design. RF-5, RF-7 RC-7, RS-7 and all RSW subs remain in the line above these models. Cerametallic dust caps improve driver response a bit. Other improvements in addition to those listed here. The pair of speakers in this photo will be about $1000 with performance to match.

Thanks for the input Bob G. lets see now if my tabulations are correct...

Yay Nay

7 4

Well looks like Yays have a comanding lead. I cant believe Bob G didnt vote. Im offended. Just Kidding. Im just glad we can actualy talk about stuff like this on a KLIPSCH forum. Thanks for not moderating the hell out of us! Hey Tripod hasnt voted. Tisk Tisk. i havnt voted. oh no. Ill make it a good vote. Anyway, we need some Nays to even it out. soon.

PS I have had RF-3s for 5 days and I LOVE them!

I don't know. After looking at the picture for a little while, I am kinda liking the new look. I'll agree with the others that all that plastic on the front does seem to cheapen them, but I'll admit that I kinda like the high-tech look of them. If it wasn't for my beloved RF-7s, I probably would have bought them. When they hit the local Tweeter, I'll have to go check them out.

This brings up some questions. Is there a picture of these new reference speakers with the grill? Does the grill look any different than the current grill? Also will the newer, stronger drivers be available as replacement drivers for our current Reference speakers? I would like to replace the dented cone in my rear RC-7. {Evil thought going through my mind} Hmmm, I wonder what it would take to cause it to blow, so then it'll give me an excuse to replace it 11.gif.

I'm sure they're excellent loudspeakers in keeping with the sound quality that Klipsch is known for...

BUT...

I can't help myself! I'm a traditionalist. I'm old fashioned. I love all the square, boxy (even retro?), straight edged looks of the Heritage lineup, and my Cornwalls are about as plain lookin' as they get! The Klipschorns' basic design has stood the test of time for all these years now, and are simply beautiful to my eyes (along with the Belles, etc., and I dig real cane grill cloth)! I also admire the design of the Jubilee and would love to see a consumer version for the home with real hardwood veneer (unless there already is and I missed it). Personally, I wished that Klipsch would have continued this approach in visual design with all their other series (to an extent...I understand that differences in appearances must prevail to distinguish between the different series of loudspeakers.

It's just that I've never been fond of the high-tech look with lots of plastic and vinyl veneer, never cared for the copper colored dust caps (reminds me of consumer-grade JBLs and Infinitis at Circuit City), and those plastic feet that protrude from their bottoms...it all seems to cheapen them (to me). Although their appearance doesn't do it for me, like I said earlier, I'm sure they're an outstanding loudspeaker (along with their center, sub, and surrounds) worthy of the Klipsch badge (and I still like the little "k" nameplate...go figure). I'm sure they sound fabulous; I just don't dig their looks (along with the models they'll replace).

I know I haven't made any new friends by dissing their appearances, but it's just my opinion...take it for what it's worth.

I vote "Nay"!15.gif

I'm sure they're excellent loudspeakers in keeping with the sound quality that Klipsch is known for...

BUT...

I can't help myself! I'm a traditionalist. I'm old fashioned. I love all the square, boxy (even retro?), straight edged looks of the Heritage lineup, and my Cornwalls are about as plain lookin' as they get! The Klipschorns' basic design has stood the test of time for all these years now, and are simply beautiful to my eyes (along with the Belles, etc., and I dig real cane grill cloth)! I also admire the design of the Jubilee and would love to see a consumer version for the home with real hardwood veneer (unless there already is and I missed it). Personally, I wished that Klipsch would have continued this approach in visual design with all their other series (to an extent...I understand that differences in appearances must prevail to distinguish between the different series of loudspeakers.

It's just that I've never been fond of the high-tech look with lots of plastic and vinyl veneer, never cared for the copper colored dust caps (reminds me of consumer-grade JBLs and Infinitis at Circuit City), and those plastic feet that protrude from their bottoms...it all seems to cheapen them (to me). Although their appearance doesn't do it for me, like I said earlier, I'm sure they're an outstanding loudspeaker (along with their center, sub, and surrounds) worthy of the Klipsch badge (and I still like the little "k" nameplate...go figure). I'm sure they sound fabulous; I just don't dig their looks (along with the models they'll replace).

I know I haven't made any new friends by dissing their appearances, but it's just my opinion...take it for what it's worth.

I vote "Nay"!15.gif

----------------

On 1/15/2003 8:45:36 PM Stephen328 wrote:

Hey Tripod hasnt voted. Tisk Tisk. i havnt voted. oh no. Ill make it a good vote. Anyway, we need some Nays to even it out. soon.

----------------

I like the new designs, that's a yay, right?

It's tough to tell just from the pics, but as long as they don't seem too plasticy in person, I like them.

I dunno why my message posted twice...I'm not tryin' to scam the votes. Just because I live in Florida doesn't mean you should count my vote twice. I swear I didn't do anything wrong...just 'cause Florida voters rig their votes doesn't mean I did...uh, yeah! 7.gif

Just as a note, we had virtually universal enthusiasm for the new models at the recent consumer electronics show. All the floorstanding and bookshelf models will be available in either black ash vinyl or cherry vinyl veneer. The grilles are different in that they are no longer floating and use magnets to attach. Very slick if I do say so myself. The new models in the Reference series start at $299 each for a tower and $299 a pair for bookshelf models. Though I am certainly biased, I'm impressed. You'll have to judge for yourself when they reach our dealers.

my problems not with the sound, as i'm sure they sound great. I just don't like the way the front baffle looks, and the copper dust caps. one of the reasons the current RF series drivers look nice is the contrast between the black and gold, and thats no longer there.

Well, as the polls prepare to close I must vote. I heard alot of good points in this poll, but my vote stands unwavered. After consideration, I must stick with my first impressions, I really dont like the look of the front baffle. I still need to see them in person, but for now my vote is Nay.