headphone advise

tpg

My headphones recently died on me for unknown reasons, and were not reparable. Now I am in search of some better cans. I am looking to spend somewhere around the $120-ish range, I am not a full-time dedicated headphone enthusiast, but I listen to headphones more than I realized. Now that I have none, I miss them. 8.gif So, my choices are basically this: Grado SR60, SR80, SR125, Sennheiser HD500, HD570, HD580, HD590. I personally don't like the looks of the 580s and think the Grados are nice, but I have heard a lot of people say they are uncomfortable. If anyone has some opinions here about which way to go, I would appreciate it.

why don't you consider the sony MDR-V700's? I know they're not "exotic" or w/e you think senns and grado's are, but they truely are a nice set of cans. Anotehr guy on the forum just got them as well (sj993) and he really likes them alot. the MDR-V700's retail at about 140 I think.

The HD580 are a sure buy,if you can find them at $120 that is.If you do just buy them,the best headphones you owned ...by far(unless you had HD600's 1.gif ).I have the HD565 Ovation,HD600,HD495

Grado,I never found anything to complain about here.Just a another great brand with many great headphones to their credit.Have the SR60's,SR325 and RS1's,no need to tell you I love my RS1's and like the SR60 too.Just do NOT go below the SR60,SR60 and up you are A ok.

You really cant go wrong either way.Just try to compare(if you cant buy both 2.gif )

The more you pay,the more transparent and detailed the headphones get.And yes almost anyone on this forum can tell apart one headphone from the next.When using a quality headphone amp(as I do),if you will use a Walkman headphone jack get the Grado SR60's,inexpensive and dont need too much power to play at higher volume levels.

So the higher you go,the more revealing the headpones get,the most revealing headphones are with no doubt the HD600's,driven by the Headroom Max its quite a show.Worthy of the very best full scale High-End speakers.In fact to best the HD600/headroom MAX combo you would need very expensive speakers speakers in a fully treated room,costing many many times more.And probably the sound quality would still not be up to the same level!

Well, I just called and found out that our local 'dealer' doesn't keep Senns in stock. That is not good. I didn't want to make a blind purchase for headphones. It looks as though I may be going back towards the Grados now, since I have never heard a bad word about them, except that they are not too cofortable after long periods of listening. Perhaps The SR125,s but more likely the SR60/80 so I can still have some money left over for the possible addition of a tube amp. 9.gif

----------------

On 1/16/2003 6:21:38 PM trespasser_guy wrote:

I have found the HD590 for $150, so I think that will be it. How are these? Better than 580? Not as good as 600? Is that pretty much what I should expect?
----------------

Not as good as the 580, not as good as the 600. Those two are the top of the line for their Sennheiser non $10,000+ cans. Not bad but not as good. The 570 is popular too.

If you need a closed headphone then check out the Sennheiser HD 280 Pro. They are very good headphones and can be found online for $99! MSRP is $199. Talk about bass!

The only Sony headphone worth buying, well that is too strong, but the only Sony I would publicly own is the V6.

sony's arent bad, but to me, my ears, they are a kid's can, they are loud, and boomy, they are really good for hip hop, you just cant play them too loud, but they dont come close to natural sounding, the senns, and grados, those are fine cans even the lower end cans in the grado line are so much more natural sounding, than the sonys. and yes justin i did sell my rs 2's to a member on head fi, when he got them he could not stop saying wow. i really did not need them since i went klipsch. i used to listen when i was an polker, but now i listen at all hours, and I JUST DONT CARE!!!! ha ha ha i just dont care12.gif