Cornwall IV hum with tube amp

4 hours ago, henry4841 said:

y limited understanding of electronics over the last 50 years and from my participation on technical forums and what I have heard and read there. 

Show me a spectrographic analysis to support your postulation

Should  be easy to show, right ,??

After all, measuring instruments are far more accurate than ones ears

31 minutes ago, the real Duke Spinner said:

Show me a spectrographic analysis to support your postulation

Should  be easy to show, right ,??

After all, measuring instruments are far more accurate than ones ears

As I said previously I have never thought or have the desire to try and prove what others say on technical forums about tubes needing 100 hours to break in, sounding best. Just as you do not have proof of not getting better to support your hypothesis of no change before 100 hours. I am sure it is just subjective to those that think they observe better sound after 100 hours. In the long run, what difference does it make whether they do or don't. You do not seem to understand from previous post the function of the getter with the statement on gas. One can believe what they want. I was just repeating what techs and electronic designers I respect have said. 

39 minutes ago, the real Duke Spinner said:

Now..

I am not disputing that resistors may drift with heat..

But. In a way that one may hear such ??

Naah

There are those that do have remarkable hearing that actually can tell when certain resistors are in the circuit or not in A/B test. Nelson Pass had a member of his listening panel that could. The resistors in question are in a PP amplifier circuit to better match the two transistors. Nelson found some could tell better sound removing those resistors when the pair of mosfets where perfectly matched. 

1 hour ago, the real Duke Spinner said:

The only Gas I have ever heard..

Is azz gas. 😀

When a tube gets gassy it is no longer any good. A new tube releases gasses from the manufacturing process so possible the statement of tubes sounding better comes from those that have done the research after the excess gas has been removed by the getter after 100 hours. I have never seen the statement of sounding best after 100 hours questioned on technical forums from people that really truly understand and design electronic circuits. Perhaps you know better than the electronic engineers on the technical forums I belong and participate on. Not knowing your qualifications I must say you may be right and what I believed is wrong. 

7 hours ago, henry4841 said:

There are those that do have remarkable hearing that actually can tell when certain resistors are in the circuit or not in A/B test. Nelson Pass had a member of his listening panel that could. The resistors in question are in a PP amplifier circuit to better match the two transistors. Nelson found some could tell better sound removing those resistors when the pair of mosfets where perfectly matched. 

Just for reference the resistors spoken of in the circuit are only .5ohm. Remarkable hearing that guy that Nelson used. He would build two same looking amplifiers, same looking case, with one with resistors and the other without and put them in the trunk of the guys car to take home. After a few weeks he would give his opinion on which sounds best or the same to him. He chose the one without the degenerating .5ohm resistors as sounding better. Those with audio electronic background will understand which resistors I am talking about. 

Nelson even ran a test with the same amplifier in the two cases to test his ability. He came back a few weeks later with the amps and said he could not tell a difference between the two. He has since passed but Nelson has said he trained his other staff on what to listen for on the Pass-Labs & Firstwatt listening panel.