5.1 w/o using Sub Cable?

Nighthawk

Nighthawk,

Technically your setup is 5.1 when you have your subwoofer connected via the LFE output. The sub is the .1 of the 5.1 setup.

I have my KSW-12 connected to speaker connections as well as LFE output. The speaker connections are connected to my "B" channel receiver posts. When I want the benefit of the sub for two channel listing, I enable my receivers "B" channel switch. When I want the sub available for 5.1 or enhanced surrounds modes I disengage my "B" channel switch before switching to surround or enhanced modes.

I can't use both settings at the same time, but why would I want to. Beside, my NAD

T 761 receiver won't enable the LFE out, if my "B" channel switch is engaged.

You might consider this method, if your receiver supports it. It's working well for me.

ShapeShifter

Yes, if you want the benifit of Low Frequency Effects when playing DVD's. Get a good subwoofer interconnect cable and connect it to your LFE out on the receiver end, then connect it to the LFE on the Sub.

I'm using a "Y" spliter, as well. I split the signal on the sub end of the cable. I then connect one of the "Y" connectors to the LFE input on the sub, the other "Y" connects to the Right RCA connector on my sub. Splitting the signal and feeding it to both inputs adds more depth to the bass.

You may want to try this setup. But you should at a least connect a sub cable to your LFE input. Then rent or buy the U571 DVD. Those depth charge explosions will rock ye ole homestead!

ShapeShifter

Thanks!

What if I were to connect the speaker wire from the sub to the A speaker outs along with the main speakers... and get a sub cable? Would this work with signals coming from the A outputs and the sub cable to the woofer? I would like to use my B's for an outside set of speakers.

------------------

Tim "Nighthawk" Admire

I would not recommend connecting your sub and mains using that method. You may very well damage your equipment. You don't want input from your main channel and LFE output both simultaneously feeding into the sub.

I just orderded an Outlaw 5 Channel AMP because I want to add additional speakers. When my AMP arrives next week, I connect it to the pre outs on my receiver. Then I'll have my receiver channels available. I've invested too much in my equipment to risk damage. So into my budget I'm going.

You may want to consider the addition of an 2 channel AMP.

Anyway, check with the manufacture of your equipment before you try your suggested method.

ShapeShifter

Morning Nighthawk,

I couldn't get this situation out of my brain. So after further thought, I have a connection solution that insures you will receive the ".1" information on Dolby Digital and DTS discs. Plus allows you the use of the "B" channel as you desired for extra set of speakers.

First, Connect a subwoofer cable from the sub output on your receiver to the LFE input on the sub. Add a "Y" splitter, if you desire.

Next, connect the left and right speaker wires from your receiver to the speaker inputs on the sub. Then, connect your main speakers to the left and right speaker outputs on your subwoofer.

Once this has been completed, in your setup, turn the sub output "on", and set your main speakers to "Large".

If your receiver has plenty of power, you'll be able to drive all speakers without fear of damage from clipping or excessive distortion to going to your speakers.

Let me know if this works for you?

ShapeShifter

The way my room is setup prevents me from setting it up like that, so I wil just run it off the B's and not use my other speakers.

Could you tell me a bit more about the Y-adapter... what it does, where I can get one and what the part number is, etc?

Thanks!

------------------

Tim "Nighthawk" Admire

Nighthawk, I must respectfully disagree with Shapeshifter based on the following:

I have the KLF-30's, KLFC7, KSP-S6's and a KSW-15 up front and a KSW-100 for the rears. I have them hooked up as follows: KLF-30's have their own set of speaker cable(bi-wired from my Marantz SR-8000) then I have a third set of speaker cable going directly from the Speaker A outputs to my KSW-15 sub up front. In addition, I use a Monster sub cable with a y-splitter at the subs inputs.

For my rears I am doing the same concept: KSP-S6's have their own feed of speaker wire from rear speaker outputs at Marantz and then KSW-100 in rear gets its signal from a second Monster sub-cable with Y-splitter to sub inputs.

Bottom line: I use three sets of wires ffrom my Speaker A main outputs (two for bi-wired KLF-30's and one for KSW-15) and I use two sets of wires for my rear KSP-S6's (one for the S6's and the other for the KSW-100) Both subs each have their own dedicated monster cable with Y-splitter to L/R sub inputs.

The reason I do this is because the Marantz will not send a sub out signal in 2-ch or 5 channel stereo due to their 2-Ch stereo purist viewpoint. This setup will not hurt your system as the speaker wires to your sub are only drawing a minimal amount of current/signal?...that is why you have a POWERED sub so you do not strain your Amp/AV receiver. Make sure you use a good quality binding post/banana plug that will accept two sets of wires for your amp/AV receiver

Ray Garrison has shed some good light on this for me in the powered subwoofer section.

BTW, the bass in my system is incredible for both DD/DTS material in 5.1 and when I'm listening in 2CH or 5CH stereo.

Does this make sense?

Good luck.

Thanks for the reply! I'll give it a go and see how it works.

Thanks to the both of you for your help! It is much appreciated!

I'm still in need of a part number or place to get a Y-Splitter though... maybe you guys can shed some light on that for me?

------------------

Tim "Nighthawk" Admire

talktoKeith: Thanks for the link... all of those cables seem to have the y-adapter build into them and none of the cables are Monster... do you have a link where I can get monster cables/accessories for good prices?

------------------

Tim "Nighthawk" Admire

I don't think I'm wrong here, but correct me if I am:

You can still the LFE channel by turning sub to "off" or "none", and then the .1 or LFE info will be routed to the main speakers.

Just wire your sub and speakers with the in/out speaker level on the sub, and you are set. No need for a sub cable.

That's what I have done, and I have tried every combo, including the one finally suggested here. My suggestion works the best, IMO.

T-man

I too appreciate the additional insight shared. My concern was to not give suggestions that might cause harm to Nighhawks receiver or speakers. Not knowing the type of equipment being used, I'll error on the side of safety.

Regarding t-man's suggested connection - It's my understanding that the LFE channels .1 effects were only available through the LFE output. Further, that the bass signal through the the speaker outputs contains a different signal that the bass frequencies present on the speaker out channels.

Thanks again for the added input.

Another source for Y splitters or RCA adapters is Audio Advisor. http://www.audioadvisor.com/

ShapeShifter

Correction submitted:

Regarding t-man's suggested connection - It's my understanding that the LFE channels .1 effects were only available through the LFE output. Further, that the bass signals through the LFE outputscontains different signal information that the bass frequencies present on the speaker out channels.