Heresy ? II

swells

I bought my heresy's in '89. I started looking looking for new pair of speakers three yrears previous. After looking at numerous brands & models, I stumbled across a Klipsch dealer. There I fell in love with the Heresy. At double the price range I was looking I decided that these were the ones & I had to wait and save my money. One Dec 19, 1989, I was driving by the audio store, which had moved across town, and went in. The was the first time that I had looked at a pair of Heresy's in ~ 18 months. I asked the salesman how much he wanted for them. His reply was "they are the floor model, but you can have them for" half of what I was bartering for a year and a half before. SOLD.. He only one box for the Heresy II. That's fine I thought, I'm getting a deal and I'm getting out of here. Packed them in the cab of my truck and went home. For years afterwards I wondered, Did I get hte Heresy's or Heresy II. Doesn't really matter cause they sound great. I don't remember why now, but I was originally looking for the Heresy's. Maybe because all of the info I found on the Heresy II had the black oak cabnet, I prefered oiled walnut.

13 years, a wife two kids and a house latter, the audiophile inside has been reborn. Off I go insearch of new product info. Low and behold, I find a news group full of pertinent information and they still remeber the Heresy.

now I'm trying to figure out what version I have, one or two. From what I can see, All H-II have binding post that will accept banana clips and a logo Heresy II. That rules mine out. The certificat on the back has Heresy - Type H-WO, Serial No. xxx, Inspected by Sally Jones etc. I can't find any indication of the production date. I have noticed the binding area on some late 70's cornwalls, it's a small 2 1/2" by 1/2" block with screw type connections. Is there a way to date this. I wonder, is there a way to search the serial number to find the date that they were actually made?

Welcome back! 1.gif I have just recently returned myself from just such an absence. Just not as long.

If the drivers are mounted on the inside of the cabinet and the back is held on by several screws me thinks it is an original Heresy. Post the serial numbers here and one of the more knowledgeable ones will tell you the year(s) built.

There are several scews holding the back panel in place, but I haven't had it off in years so I'm not sure were things are mounted.

I just retrived the warrenty card that I had filled out when I bought the Heresy's. I guess it was Dec 16, 1988, I was off be one year and three days. The serial numbers are 8556732 & 8556731 .

Hoffy is talking about how the drivers are mounted to the motorboard.

To check, all you need to do is Take off the grills, if you see the screws holding the horns, mounted on the front of the board, you have 2s. If the horns and woofers are mounted to the back (inside) and you can not see the mounting screws, you have 1's

JM

Not necessarily Heresy II's ! From the info I got on the Heresy's I was looking at in a pawn shop i found out : Heresy has rear mount drivers. To access them, the rear panel is retained by screws. The Heresy II has a different design in that the drivers mount from the front and there is no removable rear panel. But they changed the midrange drivers in early '85 so that you may have a Heresy ( removable back panel ) with the same midrange (k-53) as the HeresyII. The ones I had looked at have this configuration as well as a plastic midrange horn. Earlier models had an aluminum midrange horn.

The 84's I just sold had Heresy II drivers and lenses. I figured since these were 85's, I'd just refer to them as Heresy II's. If they have the driver components and lenses of the Heresy II, there is no point in calling them Heresies.

How about this, 2/3rds heresy and 1/3 HeresyII. I just pulled the back off and this is what I found;

8556731 Tweeter - K 75

Mid Horn - K 5?R - plastic horn (# were smudged either a 53, 55, 56, 58)

Woofer - K 22K

8556732 Tweeter - K 77

Mid Horn -53

Woffer - K 22K

I think the verdict is in, I'm going with '85 Heresy. Thanks for the help guys. 2.gif

I would say that since these speakers were demos, they may have need repair before I bought them. does the R in the K-22R not mean replacement? I wonder if the would have thrown a k-75 in as a replacement for the k-77. That said, sould I look into fetting a K-77 to replace the k-75? I have used them for 14 years without any real problems though. I would like to change the binding block to a more modern one, any suggestions. I think that I would like the klispch logo, so I may see if I can get a pair of replacemnt posts for the HeresyII.