I'm selling a pair of Klipschorns

Hilltop

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was going to let this slide, but I just can't. 1 watt is one watt whether it comes from a tube amp or a flying saucer.

If a tube amp seems to get louder than a SS amp of the same rating, it comes from one of 2 places. Primarily, tube amps don't clip as hard as SS amps and when they do, the distortion is mostly more musical sounding even harmonics. Generally, tube amps don't clip as hard as SS amps because they can't generate the VHF required to make a true squared-off wave top.

Secondarily, a particular tube amp may also be more underrated than the comparison SS amp.

A clipping SS amp is a nasty sounding beast indeed. It will generate lots of harsh sounding odd harmonics and they will go way up into the HF.

This is one big asvantage tube amps have. If you overdrive them, you don't mind it much.

One thing john forgot to mention was headroom, with a SE amp the rating is the rating once you reach it, thats it. High capacitor discharge ss amps store plenty of juice for the extra jump and most are rated for +3db of headroom.

IMO most tube users are listening to jazz , clasical and instrumental passages with low wattage, Don't get me wrong though ! There are lots of pp and se amps that can kick some serious *** with the hard stuff. accuracy seems to be the holy grail that tube amp owners are seeking.

HT is not to be left in the dust in tube land , MANLEY has just introduced the "SNAPPER " it's target market is HT , but according to the specs it falls short of the THX rated output BUT according to manley the snapper has plenty of balls and more than enough headroom.

Moon my suggestion to you is find a friend or a store that will let you test drive a tube amp and see for yourself what you think. After all music and it's presentation differs with everyone.

----------------

On 1/24/2003 10:05:40 PM m00n wrote:

Dale, it would be nice to find someone local with a tube amp and some heritage.

----------------

To bad we live so far apart moon , sounds like we both enjoy some of the same things.

PS. I could also have finished that theater room for you while your wrist heals. I'm a very accomplished carpenter and my strengths lye in fine detail finishing work.2.gif

Dale, that would have been great! I used to frame houses, never got into fisish work though. Would really have liked to spend some amount of time to gather some skills with that. I need someone to come cut at least my first rafter/ceiling joist. for me. That was an area that I didn't spend much time on when I was framing unfortunitly, thus, I have forgotten how to figure out the angles.14.gif

OK forum here are some pics of my Klipschorns for sale. This is of only one of the speakers, but the other one looks very much like it. They both sound great. As I said before, The top of the horn cabinet is scratched and the bass cabinets are missing the grilles. Other than that, they appear to be in pretty good shape. Price $1500.00. Buyer pays shipping cost or picks up in Nashville, TN.

post-11414-13819246186878_thumb.jpg

You say they sound great... Are there any defects with the drivers at all? That and any defects with the crossovers or anything that would have a negative impact on how they sounded originally? Where they thumped on hard?

My interest in these are growing daily and I do have the money to write you a check or money order, but as I would hope you can understand, it's hard to let go of that kind of money without ever seeing or hearing the speakers first hand....2.gif

moon. These are older k-horns, some like the old bell type drivers and some don't. There are no back covers but the side grilles are missing and not to easy to build new ones. It can be done but there made with one complete piece of plywood with the centers routed out and cross braces, i can e-mail you a picture of my side grilles. I just took a pic last week and sent it to jim , he needs some made as well.

If you don't like the sound of these k-horns it will cost you just as much again for updated drivers and networks. I do have a friend with this older style k-horn and he loves them but you can hear a difference between his and mine. I don't know what price range used k-horns go for in the states but i bought mine used up here in canada and paid $2200.00 which is about $1200.00 or so usd.

Dale, hey thanks man... Helps me figure things out. How old are you khorns? What is the sound difference between your's and your friends? And sure, can you either post or send me a pic?

From looking at that picture, I can see why the need to be placed in corners. I have to image you need a nice sug fit too.

Sorry about the poor pictures but my batterys are almost dead. My friends k-horns sound more tinny and with less of a bass kick than mine. If you want some better explanation of the driver difference and networks you'd have better luck running a thread up in two channel land. you'll get well informed up there.

My gawd.. how tall are those things? They look about 5 feet tall?

Also, I am suprised to see how you have them setup. I thought that you needed them in corners where the sound could easily travel down the wall? From the looks of it, it would appear as though your TV and what not would be blocking the soundwaves...

Anyway, you have a lot of gear... 6.gif

MOON: My k-horns do fit into the corners you just cant tell from the picture and i swiveled one on it's base to show you the side. The bottom bins i built so these k-horns stand 6'2" tall.

My friends k-horns are mid late 70's i believe and mine are 1987 models.

Yes i have a lot of gear and your olny seeing 1/2 of it, the lascalas sit in the back of this room along with another 800w sub.