RF-3 replacement

JefDC

Hello,

Last week I was able to listen to my 20 year old RF-3's again and I really like their sound but they are visually beaten up.

I have presently RP-8060 FA's but they sound too refined, the RF-3's give me goosebumps the RP-8060's don't.

What would be a good replacement for the RF-3's that have a similar dynamic sound signature ?

Would Heresy's or Forte's be a good choice ? Or do I have to look to second hand RF-3's or RF-5's in good condition ?

Best regards ... Jef

You could try the RF-82's or RF-7's. 

I had multiple sets of RF-3's and the RF-7's are much better in every way except affordability!

I also did an A/B with a set of RF-82's and the RF-82's sounded a bit better, but still similar. (The RF-3's in the picture have the new OEM Klipsch woofers installed)

IMG_7084.thumb.jpg.7407ae8c93d37a6c4fc5b7cba7c04274.jpg

Thank you for the reply and the (for me) interesting picture with the size difference.

I'm afraid RF-7's will be too big.

The RF-82's are interesting, I will try to find some to audition.

What type of woofers did you install in the RF-3's ?

Something that surprises me is the radical different cross-over frequencies in the speakers:

RF-3   : 1975 Hz

RF-5   : 2500 Hz

RF-35 : 2600 Hz

RF-82 II : 1400 Hz

RF-7   : 2200 Hz

RF-7 III: 1300 Hz

I imagine that must have a considerable impact on the sound.

Best regards ... Jef

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, JefDC said:

Thank you for the reply and the (for me) interesting picture with the size difference.

I'm afraid RF-7's will be too big.

The RF-82's are interesting, I will try to find some to audition.

Something that surprises me is the radical different cross-over frequencies in the speakers:

RF-3   : 1975 Hz

RF-5   : 2500 Hz

RF-35 : 2600 Hz

RF-82 : 1400 Hz

RF-7   : 2200 Hz

RF-7 III: 1300 Hz

I imagine that must have a considerable impact on the sound.

Best regards ... Jef

The RF-82s (Ref IV) were actually 2000Hz & the RF-82 IIs (Ref V) were 1400Hz ;)

Edited by Oniiz86

15 minutes ago, Klipschtastic said:

My RF3s are really good but my KLF20s are a step up. I’d recommend those if you can find them. But then again if you really like your RF3s, buying a newer version of those isn’t a bad way to go. 

The 'if I can find them' is key here, the same applies for all the older types. I live in Europe so the options are even more limited.

• Like 1

I wonder about the RF-62 and RF-62 II as they are almost the same physical size as the RF-3's and I could buy a RF-62 II

The Bandwidth and Sensitivity specs are comparable as well:

RF-3       Bandwidth: 37Hz–20kHz±3dB Sensitivity: 98dB @ 1 watt / 1 meter

RF-62 II  Bandwidth: 35Hz-24KHz ± 3dB Sensitivity: 97dB @ 2.83V / 1m

But here again a considerable difference in cross-over frequency:

RF-62    : 1800 Hz

RF-62 II : 1500 Hz

and I can't imagine what difference that makes.

I have 2 pairs of RF 62's doing temporary surround duty (My real home theater turned into a playroom for the kids)

I think the RF-62's would be a step backwards from the RF-3's

I would try to see if you can listen to a set of rf-82's.  around me (outside of Chicago) they go for around $400 in good condition.

8 hours ago, JefDC said:

These are the woofer I used.  https://www.simplyspeakers.com/klipsch-replacement-speaker-woofer-1011974.html They are OEM, so besides looking a little more sleek, they didn't sound significantly better/different.

image.thumb.png.b192f0d696d211f1a695c20e5af373ad.png

Thanks for the info !!

I have found somebody with a pair of RF-82's and will go to listen to them.

In your first reply you wrote: 'the RF-7's are much better in every way except affordability!' does this apply to all RF7's version I, II and III ?

On another note, I wonder whether the vinyl of my RF3's can be removed and replaced by either new vinyl or veneer.

3 hours ago, JefDC said:

'the RF-7's are much better in every way except affordability!' does this apply to all RF7's version I, II and III ?

Yes.  My brother has the version I's and I have the Version II's.  I like them both, but prefer the II's because they just look better with more wood showing.

3 hours ago, JefDC said:

I wonder whether the vinyl of my RF3's can be removed and replaced by either new vinyl or veneer.

Yes, I would start with a heat gun... and a lot of peeling.  If they have dents/dings, you can fill with wood filler.  At that point, you can either paint them or try to laminate.  I would skip trying to do vinyl.... unless you want to do a custom wrap like they do on cars.

2 hours ago, JefDC said:

I have found second hand RF-7's mark I.

The wood (Cherry) is OK but needs some attention and I would like it darker.

The RF7's being real would is that feasible  

Trade Secret is a wipe on to restore the wood finish  , no sanding needed ,  use the dark wood bottle    sold on Amazon 

.https://www.tradesecret.ca/scratch-removers-for-wood/

Yes, you can refinish them.  Although you will find many differing opinions on how to do this....

I refinished several Klipsch speakers with very good outcomes.  Check my past posts and you can see for yourself if you want to follow my advice.

I carefully sand with an orbital sander, taking care not to burn through the veneer.  I usually start with 120 grit with light pressure.  Once the majority of the paint/finish is removed, then I switch to maybe something in the 200/300 range and even everything out.  The, I finish with something closer to 400 grit.  Then, I would apply whatever stain color you want to use.  I used a very dark cinnamon wipe stain by MasterBrand Cabinets for several speakers including CF3's, KLF 30's/20's some KG series, etc. I really liked the end result. (They all used to be black when I bought them)  After the stain dries ( I usually wait a couple-o-days) I put on a matte water based polly finish. Not a great angle to see the overall finish on the KLF 30's, but you get the idea.  The KLF 20's are in the picture too, but that was post sanding and pre staining. The RF-83's are the stock finish.

62951119473__B00C9CE2-DE5F-4DF9-A23C-A2A4F4FD2058.jpg

• Like 1