I was listening to music at a moderately low volume when I noticed one of my speakers cabinets faded and is dull/flat sounding now. I switched the speaker wires and the problem stayed with the speaker cabinet. Could it be a bad crossover? If you got this far, thank you for taking your time to read this, hopefully you can help me out, I'm dumb when it comes to electronics for the most part.

P/N 09000231111

KG4 OAK OIL

S/N 66126

W/O 12864

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

2 possibilities ,   crossovers  may require capacitors   or a  driver   is damaged ( diaphragms) 

to verify the condition of  the  drivers     ,   use an Ohmmeter ..... Tweeters are 8 Ohms , Woofers are 4 Ohms

How about testing or troubleshooting before crying "replace the capacitors!"?

I'd compare the DC resistance between the drivers of both speakers (since the OP describes the sound as "flat".

I'd also run inter-station FM noise through the speakers and compare the voltage output between each speaker.

With a screen name like Shredder... I'll hazard a wild guess and say the OP perhaps blew a tweeter while headbanging.

On 8/23/2023 at 10:31 PM, SHREDDERPM86 said:

I was listening to music at a moderately low volume when I noticed one of my speakers cabinets faded and is dull/flat sounding now.

I'm guessing you lost a tweeter diaphragm. Playing too loudly with too small an amp is a guaranteed way to make that happen with any speaker. Disconnect the tweeter from the speaker system, and use an ohm meter to measure its resistance. It should be 6-8 ohms. If it's way off, either way too low (less than say, 4 ohms) or way too high (more than say, 12 ohms), it will need to be replaced. Have a pro replace the diaphragm with the real deal, not a knockoff. Cheap replacement diaphragms sound like crap as a rule, and they often don't last long. Some won't even fit.

• Like 1