Woofer fuse for Klipschorn

RickD

2 hours ago, Peter P. said:

You should be able to measure the board components with a voltmeter.

And you should be able to verify a voltage output  at each drivers' terminals.

If you have another pair of speakers, even a bookshelf pair, I'd hook them

up to the woofer outputs of the Klipschorn. If you get decent sound, albeit

frequency limited, then it's not the crossovers.

Good idea, I've got a pair of Klipsch bs speakers. I used them to test the amplifier, didn't think to use them to test the woofer outputs. I did use a telecom toner, that's used to identify pairs of wires. It did produce sound on the top end but not directly through the input on the woofer board. What level of voltage should I be looking for on the woofer components at a low listening level?

Thanks for that idea.

2 hours ago, Peter P. said:

Ain't no way you're using all that 200W/ch on those Klipschorns! You'd be using sign language to communicate after listening to them at 200W/ch.!

Also, I'd be replacing windows, the front door, my wife and the dog.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RickD said:

What level of voltage should I be looking for on the woofer components at a low listening level?

Thanks for that idea.

Hook up your bookshelf speakers to the speaker wires feeding the Klipschorns. Turn up the volume and observe the voltage rise using a voltmeter set to AC Volts. Then hookup the bookshelf speakers to the woofer output of the crossover and do the same thing. As long as you see the voltage rise as you increase the volume, and you hear no unusual sounds except maybe high frequency limiting, you can assume the crossovers are working properly.

I don't know what actual voltages you should be seeing at the woofer output terminals. If you have access to the crossover on your bookshelf speakers, you can measure the output at the woofer driver's input terminals and expect similar response on your Klipschorns. I think that's a fair assumption.

Heck; you could connect the speaker wires directly to the Klipschorn's woofer for a test and you wouldn't damage anything. The woofer just wouldn't reproduce high frequencies.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Peter P. said:

Hook up your bookshelf speakers to the speaker wires feeding the Klipschorns. Turn up the volume and observe the voltage rise using a voltmeter set to AC Volts. Then hookup the bookshelf speakers to the woofer output of the crossover and do the same thing. As long as you see the voltage rise as you increase the volume, and you hear no unusual sounds except maybe high frequency limiting, you can assume the crossovers are working properly.

I don't know what actual voltages you should be seeing at the woofer output terminals. If you have access to the crossover on your bookshelf speakers, you can measure the output at the woofer driver's input terminals and expect similar response on your Klipschorns. I think that's a fair assumption.

Heck; you could connect the speaker wires directly to the Klipschorn's woofer for a test and you wouldn't damage anything. The woofer just wouldn't reproduce high frequencies.

Appreciate your input. I took a day trip to Chattanooga today so I didn't have the chance to work on my speakers today. I do have the 5 amp fuses that Al recommended, so I'll use those and then plug my McIntosh directly into the woofer input and give it a spin. Thanks.

On 9/3/2023 at 5:19 PM, RickD said:

plug my McIntosh directly into the woofer input and give it a spin.

Any progress?

My next question is not about the problem discussed in this thread, but when you replaced your AK-2 network with the aftermarket x-over network, how did you bypass the components inside the woofer chamber, between the binding posts and the woofer?

On 9/9/2023 at 11:39 AM, Khornukopia said:

Any progress?

My next question is not about the problem discussed in this thread, but when you replaced your AK-2 network with the aftermarket x-over network, how did you bypass the components inside the woofer chamber, between the binding posts and the woofer?

Yeah Al said to replace the 1.2a fuse with a 5 amp fuse. Didn't make sense to me, so I did it anyway. It worked. I've been using 1.25a fuses since I installed his cross-overs.

I bought the crossovers from Al Klappenberger (ALKENG.COM). Instructions were to remove the components in the bass bin and wire the woofer to the woofer terminal on one of the three boards that make up the crossover.

These are no longer Klipschorns, but something much better. I'm just using the cabinets and woofers.

• Like 1

On 9/9/2023 at 11:39 AM, Khornukopia said:

Any progress?

Crites and DeanG crossovers likely make use of the components in the bass bin since they are similar to the stock crossovers.

Agreed, with speakers this sensitive, I could probably use Cat 6 network wiring for speaker cabling. If I opened up my  amplifier, I bet the output wiring is not bigger than 22 awg. The original cabling in these speakers was 12ga Monster cabling. Not expensive, but you could see the green corrosion, so I replaced the wiring with some ofc cabling I bought off of Amazon. I could have spent big bucks for high end Audioquest cables but I doubt I'd hear a difference.

• Like 1