Cornwall model and driver ID

Scotty Mac

Good day folks, 

a while back I started a thread in a pair of Cornwall’s (minus woofers) that showed up in my shop. Since then, I have ordered and received the K33e woofers and determined they were a Gen 1 Cornwall but was unable to find a serial number anywhere.

I finally started at the Cornwall’s the other day, I decided I was going to give the cabs another coat of Duratech and replace the insulation. So I removed the drivers and When I was pulling out the old blankets I found the original invoice under a blanket and yes, it has the serial numbers, can anyone tell me more about theses particular speakers? 

also, I noticed I have two different klipsch tweeters, can anyone tell me which is original or “better”…? A friend has a spare square one and would trade for my round one which would give me a matching set but, I would rather the “better” tweeter if there is even a difference?

it looks like my mid drivers are different but both the same part number, one has an aftermarket wire connecting it to the XO. Again, any difference, in the two drivers? Unusual to see two different in a set of speakers? Should I seek out another mid?

XO look great, plan is just to bench check and if it passes, use as is for now before deciding on which road to go down with regards to tweaks… sound good?

IMG_3584.thumb.jpeg.a0ee06da6d49e2c4723bf0eb8b9b6755.jpeg

1984 Cornwall 1 , B3 networks,  K-77  tweeter square  magnet ,  K-53  are original , The k-601 plastic horns are not original for 1984 and neither is the k-52H or the k-77 alnico round magnet 

The K601 horns and attached drivers are from the beginning of the Cornwall II. The K57-H is the K-52 driver on the K601 plastic horn. At least the left one is.

You have quite a mash-up of parts!

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Marvel said:

The K601 horns and attached drivers are from the beginning of the Cornwall II. The K57-H is the K-52 driver on the K601 plastic horn. At least the left one is.

You have quite a mash-up of parts!

Thanks for the post, I think I am following…. Could they be Cornwall 1.5, just before the 2 came out. Clearly drivers have been swapped and that’s fine, just trying to determine which drivers, if any, are original?

or which drivers I should seek out…?

I thought all Cornwall I had K55V/K55M squaker. Anyway this is classic version I like the most.

So probably this is "1.5" version as upgrading this midrangle horn to one you have makes no sense, so probably it's factory one.

Juduging form discussion here 

B3 was used with newer/smller diaphgram drivers than K55.

Round k77 are older.  For B3 probably only square was used.

So my bet is that K-57K/K-601 and K-77M are your factory set.

And this is actually what is on heritage codes page about Cornwall

"Mar 1983: The B-3 network and the K-52 midrange driver starts to be used in this model.  Component designations were: Woofer Eminence K-33-E, Midrange K-57-K (K-600 Aluminum horn and K-52-K driver with the threaded snout), Tweeter K-77-M and B-3 network."

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Bacek said:

So my bet is that K-57K/K-601 and K-77M are your factory set. 

the k-601 was not used  with the 1984  CW 1 ,  it started  with the 1985 CW II , so no , the K-601 is not original 

Aldough is still not proof, I saw industrial Cornwall's from 84 with k57 somewhere on this forum,

and another breadcrumb from Klipsch employee

On 8/29/2023 at 11:50 PM, OO1 said:

K-53  are original

There is no K-53 on Scottys picture above but k-57

On 8/29/2023 at 10:55 PM, Scotty Mac said:

IMG_3588.jpeg.bc45fcb3a175809878e96a399a50b628.jpeg

So looks like right is Heppner's production K52H which was also at some point labelled as K-53K by Klipsch and left is updated version made by Klipsch after they bought Heppner's tooling, also labelled as K-53K.

@Scotty Mac could you also post pictures how they are connected to horns (from the other side)?

I feel you pain. When I bought my La Scalas tweeters where as yours, and woofers where also two different versions and one was partially broken (lousy reconned)