Cornwall model and driver ID

Scotty Mac

But as you see on picture, right one is also labelled K-57K (don't think it's a fake stamp), history codes also has same information.

There was more reports that some 84 Cornwalls also had plastic horn. Check also Bob Crite's comment.

11 minutes ago, OO1 said:

the K-52H or the k-601 horns   are not original to this speaker .

Agree to disagree. Someone replaced those as result of failure and maybe by "matching" two different Cornwalls into a one pair.

And for sure it's alway better to have matched pair, especially for the tweeters as they are more different than those mids.

11 minutes ago, OO1 said:

k-600  metal horn +   K-53 

Do you have any picture of those? I only saw K-51 (except of 55) on K-600

On 8/29/2023 at 4:49 PM, Scotty Mac said:

Good day folks, 

a while back I started a thread in a pair of Cornwall’s (minus woofers) that showed up in my shop. Since then, I have ordered and received the K33e woofers and determined they were a Gen 1 Cornwall but was unable to find a serial number anywhere.

I finally started at the Cornwall’s the other day, I decided I was going to give the cabs another coat of Duratech and replace the insulation. So I removed the drivers and When I was pulling out the old blankets I found the original invoice under a blanket and yes, it has the serial numbers, can anyone tell me more about theses particular speakers? 

also, I noticed I have two different klipsch tweeters, can anyone tell me which is original or “better”…? A friend has a spare square one and would trade for my round one which would give me a matching set but, I would rather the “better” tweeter if there is even a difference?

The square magnet K-77-M Is the better tweeter, responding to higher frequencies.  Being newer than 1979, yours should have had the -Ms. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, OO1 said:

Beating Head Against A Pole Looney Tunes GIF - Beating Head Against A Pole  Looney Tunes Headbang - Discover & Share GIFs

To be clear, I'm not trying to win this discussion with you. I just want to get some background and more info on this topic. 

You say that plastic horns where available only from 1986. Others say that in Cornwall they were appearing occasionally already in 84 and 85 and they saw it and that is my only point.

Question about picture was my curiosity, not a demand for proof. I just did not saw this combination on pic. According to the informations this version on metal horn was available so I'm not sceptical about that.

Ok I have it, K-52 bolt and screw versions.

post-40280-1381964030546.thumb.jpg.8f39e1dc6d67ef5963c4b0b8471a830e.jpg

And then another 84 Cornwall with plastic? horn

1003447-0b69a1c3-klipsch-cornwall-i-vintage-excellent-condition.thumb.jpg.e2743bff88ee7091d674ccefed8aa75f.jpg

1003461-cf387873-klipsch-cornwall-i-vintage-excellent-condition.thumb.jpg.258cd316dd802d82262906c2f6432bbb.jpg

There were  SOME  Cornwall 1   with K-600  composite  horns  , but  these were  exceptional cases due to  supply issues, the CW II came into production late 1985  .

Klipsch  show Jan 1986 as the  " effective start  date "  for the  K-601  model horn  designation  , CW1  horns  prior to 01/86 remain  K-600  horns  whether metal or composite . 

On 8/31/2023 at 10:36 AM, Bacek said:

I thought all Cornwall I had K55V/K55M squaker. Anyway this is classic version I like the most.

So probably this is "1.5" version as upgrading this midrangle horn to one you have makes no sense, so probably it's factory one.

Juduging form discussion here 

B3 was used with newer/smller diaphgram drivers than K55.

Round k77 are older.  For B3 probably only square was used.

So my bet is that K-57K/K-601 and K-77M are your factory set.

And this is actually what is on heritage codes page about Cornwall

"Mar 1983: The B-3 network and the K-52 midrange driver starts to be used in this model.  Component designations were: Woofer Eminence K-33-E, Midrange K-57-K (K-600 Aluminum horn and K-52-K driver with the threaded snout), Tweeter K-77-M and B-3 network."

Great info there, thank you.