Death of the music industry, WTF

PrgSkidmark

I've been seeing a lot on this topic lately. I read an article on wired.com about the death of the music industry. http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/11.02/dirge.html. I'm kinda worried.

The trend is to obtain free music using peer to peer programs. They claim people are happy with the quality of the music.

The quality is ok for PC speakers, portable devices, or stock car speakers. I shelled out some bucks the past year for all new audio equipment. I really don't like the idea that the future will have me sitting with my PC creating huge playlists of inferior quality music. This is attributed to the speculation that the labels won't be crankin out high quality software because there's no demand for it or money to be made. I wouldn't mind if high quality music is to be produced and distributed over broadband. http://slate.msn.com/id/2076336/ But if nobody produces it, or agrees upon some way to keep it safe, then nobody gets it.

Do any of you think about this? I think it sucks!

Doug

Well, I for one don't care as much for the quality of an MP3. I don't in any way shape or form claim to have some precise audio ear. But I can hear the quality difference between an MP3 and CD.

I would hate for the record industry to stop making hi quality recordings.

I don't think the music industry has died by any means. it all depends what type of music you listen to. rap is probably not going to be recorded to the same standards as classical or jazz music would be. I just got a few new jazz cd's and they all sound top notch, but I have also gotten a few new rap cd'sm and I see the low quality recording that you talk about.

LOL

Rap music is upper bass boom combined with F words and big juggs shaking to the boom.Pretend you are a mean street hooligan and beat up some private school kids in your video and you are a gangsta.

Yeah Peace LOL

Not really quality,unless you own a ghetto blasta boom box and think its the best thing since sliced bread.

LOL true true...

i cant stand big juggs... i'll stick to nicely porportioned ones thank you...

i really hate commercial rap though... i love to mock people when i see them rapping i start going

"I GOT HOES AND MONEY GOT THE HOES AND THE MONEY I PAY THE HOES WITH THE MONEY MY HOES **** ME UP CAUSE I GOT MONEY AND I LET THE BLING BLANG SHOW!"

>=)

i'm rapper Jimmi P!

I am not a "rap fan" by any means, and have not heard that much, but every now and then I'll stumble across some rap that I REALLY like. The latest was Nelly's first CD, "Country Grammar". Yeah, I don't care for the profanity, or the preoccupation with, uh...carnal pleasure6.gif, but there is no denying the quality of the music, or the talent of those involved in making that record. It was not huge without good reason. I guess you could say I am open to rap "crossover" records; the ones that really bust out and go beyond the rap market. And btw, the sound quality on Country Grammar is really great, with killer bass.

As for the supposed "death of the music industry", that would be the best possible scenario. Imagine a world where people make music for the love of it instead of for fame and fortune. Then, a system might evolve that fosters art and artists, instead of drug-dependent, amoral, ego-maniacs, and their "product". Actually, that system is already in place. Look at outfits like Sugar Hill, Rounder, and Telarc; all the many small record companies that are in the business for the love of the music, NOT the love of the money.

hey james, if you're into some rap, download the following songs. they blow any nelly you're heard out of the water 9.gif

songs by Atmosphere- The Outernet, Free or Dead, Tears for the Sheep, Between the Lines, Party for the Fight to Write, Sound is Vibration, Fashion Magazine, Clay

songs by Typical Cats- Raw Esoteric, Reinventing the Wheel, Snake Oil, Cliche

sons by Del the Funky Homosapian- Things you can do, Mastermind, Captain America

Personaly, I feel they're all light years ahead of any of the mainstream stuff. pretty much the only rap I listen to anymore. they may not be the highest quality recordings, but music wise, they're so much better than anything you'll hear on the radio. they're not high quality because, well actually the del stuff is, but typical cats and atmosphere are both local bands so it's not made in what you'd call high tech studios. also, Atmosphere may show up as "Slug" when you search for it. this is because atmosphere is the name of the group, but slug is the rapper.

The music industry is killing it's self and placing the blame on home burning. The artists are sighned for one hit and then laid by the wayside. The industry doesn't promote the artist the way they used to,the industry signs the artist based on demographics and what they think we want to hear. There is a lot of independent artists that have exceptional catalogues of songs but one never hears them because they thumb their nose at the industry. When the industry realizes they can make more money selling more records of better music cheaper then they'll get off their death bed.

well i hate to say it but some stuff out there is just plain bad.

and the thing is often times.. the people who support it by saying its good material, and its thier opinion, often only like the music to be "different" or beause someone else does... or they are drawn by it.

other stuff is somewhat decent and is an opinon based matter.

but the kind of people who will say things like "RUN DMC SUX!!! NELLY KICKS THIER (insert profane synonmy for homosexual here) ASSES!"

or "VAN HALEN SUCKS MUDVAYNE OWNS THE*knocked unconcious by me before they can finish >=)*

they just dont know what they are talking about.

I do not care for RAP because everything I have heard is some dipstick bragging about having injured or killed someone or encouraging his (almost invariably His) listeners to do the same . In that genre all women are useless sl*ts . In other words no respect for anyone or anything. Most definitely audio and social pollution.

That said every generation's music gets lambasted by the generation preceding it. Most popular music is regarded as crap by older folks in its time and justifiably so as most music published throughout history is garbage. I am confident that much of the "lost" music of the renaissance for example disappeared because it was not worthy of being saved. Some of it was likely so atrocious that some musicians made a conscious effort to prevent it being passed on even though some of those pieces might have enjoyed a certain popularity in their time.

Certainly not every piece recorded and released in the little over 100 years of sound recording is worthy of a listen but the natural filtering processes do operate and good pieces and performances are often worth a listen 60 or more years after they were originally recorded. In fact just the other day I played an MP3 of a piece recorded in 1900 to a colleague who asked what the heck is a 78 ?

I don't doubt that 25 years from now a very select number of RAP recordings will be routinely listened to as "classics" -- Not by me if I am still not fertilising daisies however 9.gif